low GPA, low first MCAT, good second MCAT, strong ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mzell12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried I won't get interviews because of my low gpa and my first mcat score. My list of schools is fairly broad, but I do have probably a couple too many reaches on it, considering my stats. I've gotten feedback that my PS is very good, hopefully really strong letters, and I submitted on the first day possible (June 5th).

cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.41
Definite upward trend. The sGPA is so low because I got a couple of B-'s in chem classes freshman year, and one in orgo sophomore year. My excuse freshman year was that I was on the basketball team. Got almost all A's the rest of undergrad.

first MCAT: 25Q
second MCAT: 32O
Even distribution the second time.

NY state resident, non-URM

Significant clinical & non-clinical volunteering, research, and shadowing experience

Here is my list:

Reach:
NYU
Mount Sinai
U Rochester
Brown
USC
U Washington

Hopeful:
Einstein
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Hofstra
Albany
NYMC
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
U Vermont
Tulane

Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you send out a list? I've noticed people generally don't like responding when they don't have specific schools for comparisons.

Could you send out a list? I've noticed people generally don't like responding when they don't have specific schools for comparisons.

Definitely. Here's my list:

Reach:
NYU
Mount Sinai
U Rochester
Brown
USC
U Washington

Hopeful:
Einstein
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate