Low GPA, Low OAT, 1000's of hours working as an optician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorStruggles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow forum members,

I've been wanting to do optometry ever since I was 10. Now I'm a college graduate with a bachelor's in biology. I have:

2.5 GPA
300 OAT
1000's of hours working along several optometrists as an optician
50+ hours of shadowing several more optometrists

Do I even stand in chance of getting accepted into any optometry schools? I've been so hesitate to drop so much money in retaking the OAT and applications.. I'm really considering radiology tech as a backup since I'm currently volunteering in the radiology department at a hospital.

-Dr. Struggles

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact admissions directly and discuss it with them! I've seen on some schools' websites that if an applicant has a 2.5 or lower they should consult with the admissions committee. Usually, a high OAT will compensate for a low GPA, so retaking the OAT isn't a bad option. I'm in that boat currently, with a 3.1 total and 2.9 science GPA. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would say working on improving your GPA would be your best bet. Most schools will probably ask you to improve your OAT as well to show that you are a competitive candidate.The experience in the field will help you in your interviews but you have to qualify for the interviews first.
I don't think it's impossible for you to get into school but it's going to be pretty tough. If this is what you want then improve your academics and really show the admissions committee! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, OD schools do grade replacement. Go see each school if they will do that for yah

If you want you can message me and give you some advice. I was in a similar boat minus the OAT score. My undergrad was slightly higher but I went to graduate school prior to starting Optometry school to beef my GPA up.

I would retake the OAT. Aim for at least 360?

I am in the same boat as some of you above, so hi! I've been wanting to be an optometrist since I was very young and also work as an optician full-time. I would take the OAT again, as a boost in your score will help. However, let your passion shine through because I am sure it is there. It's just the numbers that can be improved. Try for a little above a 3.0, which can take some time, but retake your OATs and you might be seen in a more favorable light.

I agree with the advice on retaking the OAT. Trying to increase your GPA wouldn't hurt either.

I think you have to show that you will be willing to put in the effort if you are accepted into optometry school, and improving your OAT score would be a great start.

That said, I think you still have a chance if you have great LORs to back up your extensive experience, as well as a compelling personal statement.