MHA Low GPA, need advice for MHA programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oshi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.6 overall GPA and I'm in my last semester before graduation. I've already taken the max hours that I'm allowed so taking another semester to raise my GPA isn't an option (I would not be able to afford it and I no longer qualify for loans). My recent academic record has been good but it's not raising my GPA that much. I haven't taken the GRE or GMAT yet. I also don't have much professional experience but have been offered a one year internship after graduation. I want to apply for MHA after that, do you think I would have a chance of getting accepted if I do really good this semester and on my GMAT or GRE. Also, which schools would you recommend I apply to that will most likely accept me with my current GPA? And one more question, if I was to take extra courses (graduate level or advanced undergrad) after I graduate, would those grades be considered when applying for MHA programs?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated also!! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

With your low GPA, you may need to take more than a year off after graduating to apply to MHA programs. Professional/related experience is VERY important in admissions and since you don't have any, that will be a big hindrance to your application. Like you I also had a low undergrad GPA, but I had tons of related public health experience so I was able to get into an MPH program after a year. So basically, I'm not sure if a one year internship is going to cut it. You may need to take a couple years off, gain more experience, and take some courses to help your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! I will start looking for health related work now so that I can get a head start on those couple years.
In your opinions, if I include in my personal statement the events that played into my GPA being so low, do you think I should go ahead and apply when Fall 2016 applications open up? What's the worst that can happen other than not being accepted at that time, right? Or would that just be a complete waste of time and money?

When I applied, I included a paragraph about my low GPA and what had happened. Don't make your entire personal statement about it---I think I had like 4 sentences max that just touched upon it. Also, only do if if you have a real reason as to why your GPA is low. Don't just write a bunch of BS because that wont look good either.

If you really want to apply right now, then go ahead. I suppose you have nothing to lose. But as of now you have zero experience so your chances won't be looking too good. When I applied, I had the low GPA but also tons of research experience and I had also been published. So all of that helped. It's up to you though...

Thank you! I think I'll wait until I have experience before applying.