Low GPA. Ok MCAT. First time applicant. Is there any hope for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nachotradapplicant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New member here. This should have been posted at WAMC.

Graduated May 2013 with BS in Biochem, Applying to DO

-3.1 cGPA, 3.0sGPA

-511 MCAT

Undergrad experience (until May 2013)

-2 years research experience in organic lab during undergrad (~15-20 hrs/week)

-work experience: high school tutor (12-15hr/week), 30-35 hrs week during summer breaks

-ECs: Big Brother Big Sister, America Reads, Hospital Volunteer (oncology), 3 cultural groups for fun (treasurer 1 year, vice president 1 year), chemistry club

-40hrs shadowing experience with MD

After undergrad (starting June 2013)

~1000 clinical hours volunteering in hospital

-4 years Full-time chemist; also serves as Relay for Life captain for the corporate team and as Wellness Champion (organizes biometric screening, health fairs, flu shots, etc.)

-4 years part-time instructor (math and chemistry)

~60 hrs volunteering at food bank

-50 hrs shadowing DO

GPA Explanation: My mother was missing due to an accident (I rather not get into specifics) during my first year of college and she was not confirmed dead until her body was found 7 months later. I had to work as much as possible during undergrad in able to afford food, transportation, books and other necessities. The combination of emotional trauma and financial stress deteriorated my grade as each semester went by; my GPA went from 3.6 to 3.0 to 1.9. I was placed on academic probation and started seeing a psychologist afterwards. Since then, I started an upward trend, but only managed to raise my GPA to a 2.9. I have been trying to boost my sGPA by taking more science courses after work, but only managed to raise it to 3.1 despite a 3.9 GPA from 26 credit hours after undergrad. I cannot quit my current job to pursue a master’s degree that I have no intention in using. I am the breadwinner of our family. My dad has been fighting cancer for the past 3 years. I am postponing my application for 5 years to allow my younger sibling to graduate college before I start med school. I know I need to increase my GPA but it has been a challenge since I already have 180+ credit hours. I have also repeated the pre-reqs I did poorly on (improving D or C to an A).

MCAT Score: I recently got a 511 on my MCAT score. I am not certain if I can raise it any more but I am willing to retake it on January.

I seriously considered pursuing a different career. But it always end up with me being drawn to medicine. I apologize for all the grammatical errors. What do you think about my chances? How can I make my application stronger? Which schools do you think I should apply for? I am planning on sending my primary applications within the next 2 weeks. Any DO school will work for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have a fair shot at DO schools, especially with your MCAT score. I cannot recommend retaking the MCAT as you would risk scoring lower and then possibly your judgment to retake the exam may come into question. Your GPA isn't too bad, lower than the mean, but the MCAT definitely compensates. Furthermore, it works out that your GPA is above the typical 3.0 screen that most DO schools have, so I would research schools or wait for other admissions gurus to chime in.

The only thing that I could imagine that would hurt your application is that you're a non-traditional student that's been out of school for 4+ years, but your recent MCAT score does indicate academic potential.

I love all the extra-curricular activities you've got on there, and the meanings you've attached to them. I would look at making sure you've retaken any D's in pre-reqs prior to applying. You're above the 3.0 line with an upward trend in grades, so that should hopefully pique a school's interest. Continue what you're doing, get the MSAR and apply to schools you meet at least the 10% cutoff line that meet your requirements and interests, and go from there. Just make sure you have a plan in place for attending interviews and what will happen financially when you go to school since you're the breadwinner. You don't want that additional stress taking its toll on you in med school.