Low GPA, ok MCAT, good research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppleGeek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm new here.

I was hoping to get your opinion on whether I have a shot at getting an interview with Harvard, Stanford, or UCSF (well, at least a secondary).

I'm Canadian and I'm currently finishing up my last year studying Systems Design Engineering.

Got 33 on my MCAT 9 VB 12 PS 12 BS, and P

Got 3.75 on Sci GPA, 3.54 on AO GPA (all those engineering courses have been a GPA killer), and 3.63 overall.

Published a paper on an optical imaging device that I designed in my first year for interstitial cancer monitoring using a high resolution optical imaging modelity.

Worked in cardiac MRI imaging research, helped to develop a computer algorithm at automatically segments the left ventricle in 4D (3D + time) image volumes for doctors.

Currently working on a new imaging device combining intravascular ultrasound and optical imaging (optical coherence tomography) to guide cardiac intervention procedures.

Currently also working on a new intracardiac ultrasound device that allows doctors to see forward in the cardiac chambers. this prevents procedural complications.

I don't have a great academic record, but do you think they would take a look at my research experience?

thanks for your inputs, cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those are some really compeititive schools you are talking about. Stanford and Harvard you have a shot at in the sense that they are privates, so they are more willing to take international students. However, UCSF is pretty stingy, and being a cali resident I can tell you they usually send most of their secondaries to cali residents. I think you have good stats, and you could potentially get into a medical school in america, but I really think you should consider some of the middle/lower tier schools as well just to up your chances.

I am Canadian as well and applying this cycle. I have a similar GPA to yours and things have gone well for me so far in this process, but I have heard nothing from schools like those you are talking about.

I agree that you have a good shot at getting into an American med school, but it is definitely a good idea to apply to some mid-low tier schools as well. Keep in mind that many schools will hold you to higher standards than if you were American, especially because you have no specific ties to the country (I think doing my undergrad in the US really helped me).

I have to say your research is awesome though, and that will definitely help.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, I'm new here.

I was hoping to get your opinion on whether I have a shot at getting an interview with Harvard, Stanford, or UCSF (well, at least a secondary).

I'm Canadian and I'm currently finishing up my last year studying Systems Design Engineering.

Got 33 on my MCAT 9 VB 12 PS 12 BS, and P

Got 3.75 on Sci GPA, 3.54 on AO GPA (all those engineering courses have been a GPA killer), and 3.63 overall.

Published a paper on a optical imaging device that I designed in my first year for interstitial cancer monitoring using a high resolution optical imaging modelity.

worked in cardiac MRI imaging research.

Currently working on a new imaging device combining intravascular ultrasound and optical imaging (optical coherence tomography) to guide cardiac intervention procedures.

I don't have a great academic record, but do you think they would take a look at my research experience?

thanks for your inputs, cheers.

Hey You got a BIG SHOT at those top schools who love international students go for it. Add Yale to your list. You never know unless you try.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Serious? well, I thought if I was going to go to the US and pay the big dollars, I might as well dream a little. I hope I get a chance to interview, I would love to show them my research projects.

I'll have to wait till next cycle to apply to some of the mid tier schools. too late this year.

thanks

Last edited: