MD Low Gpa, okay mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healingandsuch

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Forget about OOS schools.

You're fine for any DO school, which you should have on your list given your weak cGPA

Is your MS degree a research MS? Or an SMP? If the latter, that will help.
Research thesis

MD schools discount these for GPA; DO schools don't.

Forget about Baylor and UTSW
hehe darn, I really wanted UTSW :laugh::laugh:

what do you think of the North Texas DO program?
I have no idea how to rank DO schools

Don’t underestimate (nor overestimate) your competitiveness. I felt the same way when I was applying. I sent primaries to 13 schools (all sent secondaries) and ended up only completing secondaries at 6 schools. We had similar stats, my gpa was slightly higher. I ended up receiving 4 DO interviews and 1 MD interview. I was accepted to all 4 DO schools and am waiting for the MD school’s decision, as they send all decisions around March 1st.

Here’s why I say don’t underestimate. In my MD interview my interviewer completed the interview by saying I was one of the best interviews she’s had and that I had a strong application. She asked if I wanted to address anything on my application. I was about .3 under their average, so I thought I needed to “address the elephant in the room.” She looked down at my application and said “what’s wrong with your gpa? Oh this? Your poor performance 6 years ago? You’ve had > 3.7 for 3+ years.” In that moment I realized that I didn’t see things the same way as an adcom. You never know until you try. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you are URM you have a pretty good shot for Texas acceptances especially if you are interested in border health.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are URM you have a pretty good shot for Texas acceptances especially if you are interested in border health.
That's one of my main interests! Although I am nowhere near the border, I am giving Rio Grande Med a huge thought!