Low GPA Plans for Success (Posts by Premeds Not Yet Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.
26 years old. Completed 3 semesters of undergrad out of high school, wasn't invited back after posting a stellar 1.57 over 36 attempted hours. Flash forward 7 years, back in school as of January 2012 with a 4.0 over 20 hours; currently all As in the 14 hours I'm in now. Best case scenario is a 3.3 cumulative with a 3.5+ sGPA,

Because I was originally a business major it's going to take me a minute to get all me prereqs completed and subsequently I won't be able to take the MCAT until Spring 2014.

2. Your financial and work situation.
I am blessed in that I am able to work full-time as a bartender and attend school full-time as well.

3. Your family and significant other situation.
Live with my girlfriend of almost 2 years. She gets a lot of the credit for my turn-around. Unfortunately she's applying for OT schools and is in all likelihood going to have to move away (but within the state) for a couple of years.

4. Your plan or your path to success.
Just keep on truckin'. I plan to keep shadowing a cardiologist and a cardiothoracic surgeon who also serve as mentors to me. I have a volunteer job at a local cancer center that is classified as a comprehensive cancer institute and I also volunteer driving cancer patients to treatment. I've also been involved in my community for a number of years now volunteering as a lacrosse coach at a local high school and also volunteering at a soup kitchen. The key for me going forward is to make sure I'm able to maintain at least some balance in my life so I can avoid burnout. Working full-time while doing all this is a lot but threads like these are motivational in showing that I/we're not alone!

Members don't see this ad.

postbaccs are for people who have been out of college for several years but have built careers in the interim. youre still in college and you have no career. why dont you just take your science classes at your college and delay graduating?

Although I agree with you, I'll argue the other side for fun. The benefit to taking courses after graduation is that they'll show up in the post-bacc section of your application, which could help with them getting noticed, especially if the performance is strong.

Being new to the forums, and being non-trad, I thought my first port should be here! So here goes...

Age= 25, but will be 27 or 28 when/if I make it into med school
cugGPA = 2.5 (eek!) (BS- Environmental Science)
sugGPA = 2.83
gGPA = 3.85 (Was working towards an MS in Oceanography and went, I don't know if want to do this...)
No large amounts of debt (yet). I am paying off some car payments if that counts. I was lucky and my parents HAD to pay for UG (divorce agreement). I was working full time at a Environmental Consulting firm until I quit about a month and a half ago. I am also trying to get employment in a more medically related field.
I have been married for 4 years. My husband is in the Coast Guard and amazing. No kids yet (trying to decide on when the best time for kids would be if I do end up in medical school...) But my husband is enlisted so he makes approximately $4 a month (that maybe a slight exaggeration) so I need a job. He plans on getting out and joining the police department down in Hampton Roads (our last duty station) so I would be trying to get into EVMS.

Also, he has no want and/or need to go back to college.... so I could use his GI Bill for Med School... and since technically EVMS is now a public institute in matters of the GI Bill... They would cover ALL tuition expenses for 36 months. This means that besides those last uh... 5 months would be covered. At least I think so anyway.

Problem is approximately ALL (except like 6 classes, 2 of which I don't even think count for real) of my science credits are from AP Classes in high school. I received credit for a full year of physics, chemistry and biology, and a semester of calculus... so I am not sure what I need to take/ retake.

If EVMS will take cc credits I plan on taking as many classes as I can through SUNY Suffolk County in the next 2.5 years we are here. I plan on taking:
A&P 1
A&P 2
OChem 1
OChem 2
BioChem
And maybe 3 more classes or so...
Hopefully my GPA will be over a 3.5 for science then... cGPA... well, it seems hopeless to me.
Obviously, I need to do well on my MCAT.
Volunteering in the local ER, and perhaps the VA hospital if they will let me...
I plan on shadowing several doctors this semester to be absolutely certain I want to do this. As my name says, I am slightly hesitant. Especially because I have been told my whole life I wasn't good enough for anything. (Even had a GUIDANCE COUNSLER tell me I was only going to get into college because I was a female athlete (I took 8 AP classes and 9 AP test in high school and passed every single one!!!))

Enough ranting. If anyone has any suggestions on anything else I should do, please let me know. I am just now starting to look into all of this. I wanted to be a surgeon in high school but when everyone told me I would fail I took an easier route. I have been lurking on these boards for days and the success stories for non trads have really improved my outlook. Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE:
MCAT: 34
Post bacc: 4.00 GPA, 52cr (and counting!)
AMCAS: cGPA 3.0 sGPA 3.5
AACOMAS: cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.5
TMDSAS: cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.5

Before post bacc:
AMCAS: cGPA 2.75 sGPA 3.11
AACOMAS: cGPA 3.07 sGPA 3.25
TMDSAS: cGPA 2.79 sGPA 3.23

I just wanted to post this as a bit of encouragement to others and maybe even myself. There are lists of new posters with grand plans, but not a lot about what happens a couple years down the line after grinding it out. Walking the path to medicine has been very tough. Hopefully next year will yield a successful cycle after working so hard to go from an underdog to a solid candidate.

To everyone who is just starting off:
1. Get out and volunteer in a medical setting and shadow. Know why you are doing this and what it may look like one day. This will help sustain you if it is a good fit and show you the misconceptions between the idea of being a doc and the reality of the profession. If it's not for you then find out early (before investing years and tens of thousands of dollars).
2. Take it slow. Even though it feels like you need to be done ASAP and in med school, take your time to do things thoroughly and give yourself room to succeed and grow. It took years of poor or mediocre academics to get here and it will take years to redeem it.
3. Be smart, use every advantage you can. Don't rush to apply or skip important steps in building a solid academic foundation or application. Try to be "one and done" with your application.
i.e. I would love to have applied late this year and give myself a chance to start next fall, but lateness would have significantly hindered my application and it wouldn't be as strong as it will be by June next year.

Good luck to everyone out there who is pursing their dreams :luck:

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on SDN for a while but haven't found a good place to start posting and I figured it would make sense to make my first post here. Here's my lil synopsis

Age= 21, plan on applying to med school at 25
cugGPA = 3.33 (B.A. Psychology at top school)
sugGPA = 2.95

Currently unemployed--interviewing for jobs in clinical research in Rhode Island and Boston.

I'm also an officer in the Army Reserves. Not sure how I'll be able to balance that commitment with medical school but I'll figure that out later.

I plan on paying off my student debt by the time I'm 27 to make room for med school debt.

Single, living with family until I'm employed.

I plan on enrolling in Harvard Health Careers program next year and working in clinical research for 3-4 years. I may or may not be deployed before I go to medical school. My unit is a mobile trauma team which is pretty awesome. I'm hoping that my 2.95 science GPA is salvageable and that I'll look good to medical schools. I was so jaded in undergrad because all the premeds there were your typical cutthroat overachievers, ya know, going on medical missions in Guatemala and studying abroad and whatnot. Being a first generation college student I struggled. I wasn't really motivated and skipped class a lot, and I thought I wasn't really cut out for medical school. However I'm out of that slump, ROTC definitely helped me gain confidence in myself and I'm hoping within the next year I'll become more focused and mentally ready to take on my plans. I'll be using the next 3-4 years repairing my GPA and gaining some real life experience.

My only downside is that I basically made no connections in undergrad and despite a year of research experience I've been having a really hard time finding a job in research. Anyone else have any suggestions as to what kind of job I should look for in a healthcare setting? Some people suggested I be a unit secretary at a hospital if all else fails. I'm also taking my certification exam for EMT-B next month and hoping that would open up more opportunities but there are barely any EMT openings in my area.

Last edited:
1. 23 years old. Late GPA 3.5 (without counting a couple Fs from a while ago, which would make a ~3.0)

2. We're alright. We have a son which makes things tough, and my wife is in school as well. My mother was a single mom and we were really poor most of our life. We lived in the ghetto. My wife and I are holding our own now, but we're really in debt as far as school goes. I'm not working so I can get the best GPA I can.

3. As was said, I have a wife and son. It gets tough studying with a son, but he's in daycare two days a week that I'm home so I can study in peace.

4. My plan is to study my buns off, continue volunteering at my church, get some shadowing and clinical time in and really show the MD schools how much I want to be a surgeon, and how good I will be. Frankly, I don't care how exhausted I have to be in order to accomplish this task.

Last edited:
Hello all - I have read through a lot of your stories and enjoyed them, so I decided I should post mine, because I think my situation, as well as myself, are both pretty unusual.

I am 35 years old. My current cGPA is 2.99, which includes 5 awful semesters full of W's, D's and F's during 2 different failed stints in school 12 and 17 years ago. I returned to school in 2011 and have a 3.93 cGPA since, including a 3.875 in the prerequisite courses for med school. I am lucky that the sciences did not appeal to me the first time around, and no damage was done in that regard. I went through the process of academic renewal (i.e. academic bankruptcy) and my "official" GPA at the university is now a 3.89, though I know that medical schools will take a look at the first number I posted (2.99). No MCAT yet, I plan to take it late Aug 2013.

I was successful financially in between my last failed stint in school (12 years ago) and my return to school in 2011, which enabled me to travel the world for over a year and take several years off of work to do some soul searching, which led me to pursue medicine, but only after I had spent almost every penny I had trying to figure out what the heck I wanted to do. I have held upper level management positions for 2 different companies of 5000+ employees, and plan to leverage that experience in interviews. I bought and sold all of the houses/cars I wanted, and am done with the artificial nature of those things, I want to live a simple life. Right now I work part-time in the banking industry and I am fully commissioned, which (at times) is unnerving. I borrow some money for living expenses via student loans so that I can maintain my focus on school. My loans are starting to pile up a bit, but I am doing my best to stay disciplined and keep my attention on doing the best that I can in my classes. As funny as it sounds, I just don't care about money right now. Maybe I am in denial. Hah.

I am single and I live on my own. When I returned to school, my parents welcomed me to move back home but I was too proud, I didn't want to be the 35 year old moving back in with Mom and Dad. I am poor as dirt.

Right now I am entirely focused on getting A's in all of my coursework. I have been dragging my feet on my extracurriculars, and need to get started on them badly... Volunteering at a local hospital and shadowing doctors are a couple of the things I have targeted. I have an undergrad research opportunity lined up for this summer with an Orgo professor that I really admire. I have Fall 2014 targeted for med school matriculation, though I could see Fall 2015 as a reasonable target as well if Fall 2014 doesn't work out. I'm not going to quit until I am admitted.

Last edited:
I am 27 years old with a current GPA of 2.93 (cum) and 3.67 (current term). I have 17 credits (two sems) and will be taking 14 credits in the upcoming semester. I have been severely worried about my current GPA, not because it is low, but because the low grades are on my record. My first semester back, I received two F's in 1 credit classes because I did not take the finals and a C in a 3 credit because I slacked off. This was my first time back in school after a nine year hiatus. I walked out of college when I was 18 and received F's in all of my classes. I was lucky that my university has an amnesty policy and those grades do not count for my GPA. However, all grades are still posted on my transcripts. Some days I feel unmotivated because of my poor performance and the thought that even if I graduate with a 3.5 or higher, my past academic records will cause pause.​
I haven't worked in two years. I was laid-off from my last job and have been unable to find anything new. I have applied at my university and even for lowly minimum wage jobs. I say lowly because I was making $15 per hour before the job market went downhill with over ten years of experience in my field as a bookkeeper and executive administrative assistant. Right now I am on the last few months of unemployment compensation and living off student loans (max value...ouch) an grants. I am still waiting to qualify for federal work credit, though why I don't doesn't make sense.​
I am currently living with my boyfriend of 18 months and his family. He has been wonderful in his support of me going back to school. His son is also going back to school for film studies. That may seen weird to some of you, so I will point out that my bf is in his late fifties and his son is two years older than me. Prior to him I was married, the divorce just becoming final June 27, 2011. I met my husband at 21 and he proposed. I wanted a family more than anything and accepted. I was also pregnant at the time. We lived happily until I gave birth and then he left me holding the bag so he could work 24/7 to provide for us. I raised my son for three years as a single mom, with some financial support from him. When I lost my job, I agreed to let him live with my husband. It was the hardest decision I ever made, but the best one I could have. We never fought over our son. I agreed to give him custody. This is beneficial because I now have the freedom to attend school and focus on my future. He is a wonderful father and has since remarried. While they live in a different state, I still drive up to see my son as often as I can and speak to him on the phone. It is heartbreaking, but I know that he is in a wonderful home with two parents who go to the ends of the earth to give him what he needs. While I am going to school to further my career and to fulfill a dream, I am also doing this for my son. I want to be able to provide him with financial security. He is a very intelligent five-year old with the maturity of someone twice his age. He understands why mommy is not around and actually brags to all his friends that he was two mommys and a daddy who love him.​
My plan to success is to buckle down and focus on school. I transitioned poorly and am now trying to make up for it. Thankfully I have lots of time to fix past mistakes. I know that I need to start early in a lot of things and not wait til the last moment. I just applied to work as a volunteer at a local hospital. I love volunteering and accumulated over 1,000 hours in the same-day post surgery unit at a local hospital while in high school. Each semester I ask at least one teacher to write a letter of recommendation/reference. I am currently looking for internship/research programs and planning testing out the greek system at my school (which may or may not be a smart choice).
I know exactly what classes I need to graduate and have a plan in place for taking them. I am also minoring in Spanish, due to the region I currently live in and expect to work in. I have been told that it is too early to start studying for the MCAT's by some and told that it is never too early by others. I plan on taking a proactive approach. For each class I take, I plan on acquiring MCAT books on that subject and using them in conjunction with my regular studying. The plan is to apply what I am currently learning to what I will need to know in order to receive the appropriate score on my MCATs. I believe that you can never over-prepare, unless you exhaust yourself to quitting.​

I joined this forum in the hopes of getting tips and reading the stories of others.
I did the exact same thing at 18 years old... I stopped going to my courses and didn't even bother to drop them. I just didn't care. For the longest time I felt so embarrassed of that, but since my return I have used that disappointment to fuel future success. Feels great to turn things around!

I am 34 this year.
cGPA: 2.95
pBacGPA: 3.50
MCAT 1: 22P
MCAT 2: 29Q

Full time Software Engineer with a BS in Computer Science. I make great money, but I loathe what I do. Worked my way through my undergrad years, which is why I have such a low cGPA. I worked 30+ hours a week so I wouldn't have a school loan debt.

Married with no children. My wife is matching for residency this year, so it makes it hard to decide on which schools to apply to. I am not willing to live apart just to pursue Medicine.

I applied this year with one II and one rejection. I will keep taking courses to improve my GPA and study like mad to retake the MCAT once again. Both times I have taken it I was weak on the Biology side, and I feel like I have covered this weakness. I will take four months to study nights and weekends like crazy to raise the score to ideally 33+.

I have 6 years of Medical Interpreting, but was informed I need a more rounded view of the Medical System so I will take this year and focus on shadowing with various doctors. Any extra advice is always welcome.

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT.

24. cGPA 2.8 sGPA 2.6 22M MCAT (7/8/8; will retake)

Super in debt. Working full time in corporate serfdom but at least its in my field. I paid for most of my schooling through school loans and since working, pay for my own stuffs =[

Had a single parent all my life until a year ago. Very supportive of me and my dreams. My S/O has been w me for 4 years, 3 years serious. We live together, and he's extremely supportive as well. He's my support system out here.

Applying currently for post-bacc and other med-enhancement programs. Debated for a while to take CC classes to supplement abysmal GPA (can't afford more univ classes) but didn't have time between work and studying for the MCAT. Also have a history of disadvantaged bkgd but its TL;DR and personal. It'd be easy to identify meeeeeeee. And the internets is for maximum anonymity, but I'm open for PM's if you're THAT curious.

What I did wrong
Lack of maturity in fresh/soph years. Lack of planning. Lack of taking advantage of opportunities while in UG.

Very inspiring, i like ur spirit, never give up, fight it till u get it, the lord is ur strenght....

to split threads. I'll post here now, though, because I think I have been able to create an app that will be successful if I apply to more than *2* schools!

1. Age and GPA and MCAT
just turned 49 (going on 27). Started process via nursing post-bac at 45. uGPA 2.7 second Bachelors, post-bac combined BSN/MSN 4-semester nursing program, uGPA 3.65, gGPA 3.85, other post-bac (med school pre-reqs) 3.85. ON AMCAS: cGPA 3.01, sGPA 3.7, postbac GPA 3.65, gGPA 3.85. MCAT: 27S, 25S, 32R (11,10,11 R)

2. Financial and work situation
Moved home and live with mom to go back to school and apply to med school. Student loans for expensive graduate (MFA) and post-bac.

Now work as a medical writer contracted, new PRN job as RN/Therapist at a Crisis and Assessment Center, County Human Services funded, PRN, just started, love it, perfect for my med school goals, pays good but not "regular" hours. Still very involved in theatre.

I have a play going into production at a regional theatre in the fall, received a good grant from a State Arts Council to write new play, acting in a production in May.

3. Family and significant other situation
Single, no kids, live with mom right now till I know where I am going to be for school. Have 2 cats and an awesome dog named Izzy.

4. Plan or path to success
Applied in state last year with 25/27 MCAT, got two interviews, no success, good feedback and encouragement to re-take MCAT. Re-took in September 09, got 32R, re-applied in state to 2 schools, got two interviews and one WL.

I am re-applying this year to 22 schools, carefully researching each one, writing a new PS with more individuality. I am a unique candidate and I have a lot of EC's and clinical medical experience. I have done a lot of teaching, and worked in human services for over five years with the mentally ill and substance abusers. (Due to artistic lifestyle needed a day job) Now have a job doing the same except with an RN. I am almost an FNP, but choose to apply to medical school instead of going through to DNP with is what I was going to do but there are not enough science-based courses on that path - I want the medical education.

Now back to Mary Poppins.

m.

Waooo, :thumbup: Very inspiring, i like ur spirit, never give up, fight it till u get it, the lord is ur strenght....

Might want to see if anybody on SDN agrees with that. When you apply to med school you have to submit every college transcript, and list your coursework line by line, and everything from undergrad gets averaged together, including postbac work.

In 2007 I was invited to interview at a med school in Arizona. At the age of 41, with 20+ years of college classes spread across 5 transcripts, I was expected to discuss, line by line, every course grade that was not an A, starting in 1984.

That was at a DO school.

Best of luck to you.

INTRESTING, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
23 with a cGPA 3.02 will be taking the 2014 MCAT

I don't work and its been a hard road going back with school since my husband is a disabled vet.

I have a super supportive family and husband. My hubby is willing to move anywhere with me for school as well as get/find a job that can hop around places based on where I need to move. Only hard part is he does have quite a few mystery medical problems that the doctors haven't figured out. VA tends to be a little slow with appointments... like 3 months slow on figuring out why his stomach feels blocked... ugh =P

I am trying to finish up my bio BA in the next two years and apply. Need to do some more EC's and shadowing. Just gotta keep my grades up, especially the science ones, in order to repair the massive stain that is my right out of high school college years. Thankfully I was an illustration major so science gpa should be much much better than my cumulative.

30, cgpa 3.1, sgpa 3.43, MCAT planned for 2014
My family is considered low-income. My husband is working full-time and I'm working part-time.
I'm married, have three children and my in-laws came to live with us last summer.
Take the classes over that I did poorly in a decade ago--show that my grades from that time do not accurately portray my intellectual and academic capabilities. Stellar grades in all classes whether I'm repeating them or not.
Research in a physiology lab.
Volunteering at a nearby hospital in programs I feel strongly about.
Shadowing throughout the winterim 2013 through a school program. I'll probably shadow some friends and acquaintances during the summer.
I plan on working at a clinic, possibly as a scribe, after graduation and during the application process.

I'm 22, and I recently graduated with a B.S. in Physiology just this past December. My cGPA is a 3.15, and my sGPA is around a 3.0. I took the MCAT last summer (July 2012) and received a HORRIBLE score (<25). I wasn't ready for it at all but felt pressured to take I needed to figure out if I was going to attempt to apply for medical school. Definitely one of the worst decisions I've ever made in my pursuit to become a physician. I plan on retaking the MCAT this upcoming July and just waiting on AMCAS to open up the registration.

I am currently unemployed, but I'm extremely blessed and living with my parents who are supporting me until I can figure things out on my own. I spend a lot of my free time studying for my GRE (considering pursuing a master's in physio) and volunteering around 10 hours a week both at an NPO and in a clinical setting.

As I mentioned above, I am currently living with my parents. My significant other lives in Chicago (I'm in Michigan) and pursuing a career in law. It would be nice if we could live together, but it's not mandatory for us. Although, Chicago and Illinois have plenty of medical opportunities there as well.

I'm currently volunteering around 10-12 hours a week. One of the places I'm volunteering is an NPO whose purpose is to provide a place of relief for those who are offset economically due to a life crisis (can be any kind; natural, health, job, etc.). They provide food services, bus tokens, housing assistance, and recommendations for additional resources that may serve to aid them. This program requires all volunteers and interns to undergo a 32-hour empathy training as well as a civil rights training process.

I also volunteer weekly at a hospital within the In-Patient Pharmacy. I have also volunteered within the E.D., Mother/Baby Unit, and as a hospital escort throughout the past 2 years.

When I am not volunteering, I'm working on studying for my GRE. I plan on taking it this March. I am also applying to a few post-bacc programs in the area and in Chicago (Wayne State's M.S. in BMS, UofM's M.S. in Molecular and Integrative Physiology, and Loyola U's M.S. in Medical Physiology). I recently enrolled at a community college where I'll be repeating a few pre-reqs that I wasn't so successful at the first time around (some of the Chem's and Physics), and as I stated above I plan on taking my MCAT this July ...this time (hopefully!) fully prepared.

I'm definitely planning on cutting back on some of the volunteer hours to pursue job shadowing opportunities at nearby private practices or at my old pediatrician's. I hope to get a job as a Ward Secretary at the hospital I'm currently volunteering at, just to get my foot in the door within the hospital and at the same time get some money coming in so I don't have to pull out loans anytime soon.

I have yet to decide whether or not I want to pursue M.D. or D.O. I've posted on here previously, and a lot of people have recommended a D.O. program for me, but I think I'm going to keep my options open and see where the next few months take me into my career. Ultimately I would like to be apply next year and start medical school in the Fall of 2015.

Good luck to every one out there :) This site can be rough sometimes, and I know that it's made me rethink some of my plans. However, I think it's important for all of us to keep in mind the reasons why we decided to pursue medicine in the first place and hold onto that to help us push on!

1. Just turned 24, 3.0 cgpa, 2.76 sgpa, and 29 of an MCAT

2. Family was in bottom income tier. I'm currently a 6th year undergrad/post bacc student

3. No family of my own

4. 3rd time to apply, no interviews until 3 weeks ago when I got an interview for UT southwestern.

Plan to success: keep taking post bacc courses until schools see a significant trend. Currently, my last 60 hours ( out of 185) is a 3.8. I hope to increase it to 75 hours by the end of spring. however, I'm hoping I get into UT southwestern so I don't have to keep taking school! I'm on my 16th consecutive semester ( fall,spring ,summer, since 2004) and going into my 17th next semester..

I also think an interview is a success for me lol.

Jeeze man talk about perseverance, I hope the best for you. I'm in a similar boat, great upward trend for the past 60 credits. 3.1 cGPA. I'm just trying to finish school and rock the mcat....

I'm 24 years old, haven't taken the MCAT yet.. plan to this August.

I am currently unemployed. I am on student financial aid just recently, lucky to have my parents cover me this far....

I don't have a family yet.

My main goal is to finish school summa cum laude. However if I dont get the 3.7 I will be graduating cum laude. I will be graduating in roughly 2 years, I have decided to pursue a hard science degree and I really hope to do well the next two years to really prove the DO schools I have what it takes. I will also be doing some volunteer work during the summer while I study for the MCAT and hopefully get to use my recent EMT certification. I plan to apply to DO schools maybe MD schools if my MCAT is high, and to shadow a DO or MD. My fallback plan is going to ROSS, though I'm really thinking that if I don't get into a US school it will be for a reason, and I will just have to live with it and move on. I don't want to waste another third of my life in school with a useless degree.

What I did wrong

I had family issues, but above all I simply was not ready for college. I really did not fully understand the value of education and the concept of the real world until the damage was done. I have learned an invaluable lesson, that I will most certainly pass down to my children.

Last edited:
Not as nontraditional or impressive as some of the stories on here but hey, why not...

Currently 22 years old, will be 23 the first year I apply. I tanked my GPA as an undergraduate by overloading way too much every semester. I currently have a 3.0 sGPA and 3.1 cGPA. I took the MCAT in July 2012 and got a 34, which is really the main reason I decided to make the leap and go balls-out retaking classes as a nondegree post-bacc.

I live at home, which drives me crazy but I use the money I would be spending on rent and food towards tuition instead. I am extremely lucky in that my parents are willing and able to help me out with a decent percentage of the schooling costs, and they have me compensate them with a portion of my paycheck. I work as an ER technician 30 hours/week. I had been volunteering at the ER for four months before I was hired there, while taking my EMT class, and I LOVE it. The people are awesome, it's always a challenge, and I actually look forward to going to work.

I live with my parents (as mentioned above). I have a very loving and devoted boyfriend who is working his ass off in law school, so between both of our crazy schedules, we don't get to see each other much. We're making it work.

This semester has been my first back in school. I'm taking nondegree postbacc classes at UIC. Currently I'm only taking one course, but for the summer, next fall, and next winter I plan on taking two courses per semester while working in the ER (and hopefully this doesn't sound too cocky or naive, but I fully intend upon working my ass off to get A's in all of them). I'd like to get some shadowing in under my belt as well, so I'll probably stalk some of the ASU surgeons and see if one of them will let me stand in a few times. I hope to apply next spring. My GPA won't be much higher even if I get straight A's because as an undergraduate I overloaded SO much every semester that the marginal utility of each 4 credit hours is way low, but I hope demonstrating I can do well in upper-level STEM courses will count for something. I'll probably apply to both DO and MD schools.

Note: I won't ACTUALLY stalk the surgeons. I'll probably show up the PACU one day (I volunteered there too before begin hired in the ED) and ask for their emails, rather than hiding in their bushes and waiting til they get home from work.

Age= 29, will be 31 when i matriculate
cugGPA = 2.5 (eek!) (BS- Chemistry)
sGPA = 2.83
gGPA = 3.7 I have an MS in Biology and 1 year of Pharmacology PhD credits..
practice MCAT=30..
My finances are swirling the toilet.. lots of Loan debt because i paid for school myself. I currently work as a Research assistant at a university
Im a single parent so I have a child to raise. he is older and will be 12 when i matriculate. I have a great amount of family help me with my son, and they are pretty spread out so I have some options when it comes to applying.

My current path is to apply to schools in my current state of residence and all DO schools. I am looking to use grade replacement to make up for a few mistakes with pre reqs. Since i am an URM I am looking at a few programs like the GEMS at Georgetown and DPMS at Drexel as my way in to an MD program. I have a strong background in research and I have a decent amount of shadowing experience. I feel like all hope isnt lost but i have a long road ahead of me.

21 years old
Current GPA 2.25 (I have 5 semesters left in college- BS in psychology, neuropsych concentration, minor in music, but by the time I graduate I would have taken a lot of science classes including extras like anatomy and genetics)
I haven't taken the MCATs yet

I have been unemployed for 2 years and have next to no money.

I am in a long term relationship, we plan to move in together when I go to graduate school. I don't plan on having children for over ten years. I don't live with my family (I dorm), but they are there and can be emotionally draining at times.

Background information:
After freshmen year my GPA was 1.5 (literally) and I got academically dismissed and took a semester off.
Went to community college for a semester, received a 3.0 GPA
Went back to my university for the summer (3.75 GPA and got readmitted)
At the end of "Sophomore" year I had a 2.4 GPA

Now:
This is my junior year, I have a 2.25 GPA (it went down because I decided to take a full load while having a lot of issues at home and while pledging for my sorority) but I am taking an extra year (so two more).
Four months ago I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Since the medication started working I have noticed a significant increase in my grades. Now I have all As and Bs and I find it so much easier to study! (before I had really bad depression for weeks on end where I spent most of my time in bed sleeping, only getting out of bed to use the bathroom, alternated by manic episodes where I would be out "partying" for days at a time)
I am also applying to volunteer positions in hospitals for the summer.
I am in a sorority so we do lots of volunteer work every semester!
Hopefully my extra curriculars will be given a fair amount of weight.

Future:
I figured that if I do realistically well (3.2 GPA+ every semester) that I should graduate with a ~2.8 GPA and would hopefully be able to be admitted into a special masters program.
After that program I really hope that I can show medical school's what I am made of!!

I am interested in D.O. schools (as well as M.D.) because they seem to put more emphasis in patients as a whole human being instead of a diagnosis. I have always been into alternative medicine and that mentality seems to 'fit" better with D.O.
I believe that I am meant to be a doctor. This is just one of those things that I could never shake. I wish I was satisfied with an "easier to get into" career! But this is my passion and this is where I will end up!

...On that note, Good luck everyone! I need to go study for my biology lab exam :)

I am interested in D.O. schools (as well as M.D.) because they seem to put more emphasis in patients as a whole human being instead of a diagnosis. I have always been into alternative medicine and that mentality seems to 'fit" better with D.O.

Good luck, I wish you the best. But I LOL'd right there. Feel free to ignore this advice, but I would not bring up how you think OMM and alternative medicine go hand in hand when you're on the interview trail.

I'm 27 years old. I'm the poster child for taking time off after high school before starting college (not saying everyone should but I think it should be considered more than it is). I failed out after three semesters with 1.47. After an eight year hiatus I enrolled back in school last spring and have a 4.0 over those 34 hours and am rocking A's in my 17 hours this semester. It's amazing how far proper motivation will take you. MCAT will be next Spring.

I've worked as a bartender for the last 7 years. Luckily I've been at the same place for so long that they've been able to accommodate me for school and I only have to work three days a week while allowing me to make enough money to live comfortably. I consider myself absolutely blessed for this reason.

I have some family here but for the most part everyone is scattered around the country. I'm engaged and my fiance's family is primarily in New York so I'll be looking to apply there as well.

The plan is to just keep plugging away. While I'm doing well in my classes now, I still obviously have a bit to overcome because of my previous attempt in undergrad. Recently, I had the opportunity to speak with a couple of admissions directors and they all assured me that my previous grades, while having some impact, would not be weighed all that heavily. One even told me that she recalculates GPAs in some situations such as mine. This was all a huge relief to say the least. In my opinion, my previous efforts are in no way an indicator of the person I am today. I think my message to them will be that my old GPA should not be viewed as a sign of my abilities but rather as a reference of how far I've come and by ability to overcome obstacles.

My inaugural post!

I'm 40 and graduated with a BS in Biotechnology way back in 1994 (cGPA 2.95, didn't calculate the sGPA) and I got to do two summer research internships along the way along with some research and gained some TA experience in molecular bio...I also earned an MS degree in Biomedical Science in 2006 with a GPA of 3.73). I've also taken PhD level courses in Public Health online (about 2.5 years worth), which I ended up having some issues with due to burnout/personal crises. I'd need to go back a fix a few classes there, but my GPA is around a 3.0. No MCAT yet.

I currently work at a DOD grant funding agency that funds medical research and basically manage the scientific aspects of about 100 awards in a cancer portfolio. I get to read about top notch projects and get to follow their progress over time to make sure PI's are staying on track. I make a good living, but since I'm the breadwinner of the family, finances are generally okay, but there's not a lot extra each month. I've been with this agency going on 6 years. Prior to that, I worked at the NCI in an HIV research lab as a tech for 13 years. I spent a lot of time making high grade DNA for vaccine experiments, lots of vector development and testing, cell culture, processing SIV infected macaque blood for PBMC isolation, lab management, etc. I also spent time working on projects involving the mutagenesis of GFP and developing retroviral vectors to conduct gene knockout studies in mice. I got tired of lab work so once I had my MS, I moved over to the agency where I am now. I've learned a lot, but I'm ready to get back to the front lines so to speak and head off to DO school and hopefully get into a DO/PhD program as I have an interest in pediatric cancer research.

I'm married with an almost 7 year old daughter and a son on the way next month. My hubby is mostly supportive, but I think his biggest concern will be regarding finances. He's been a stay at home dad before and will be again as I'm the one with the degree and a decent paying job. I do need to find a way to bring in some extra cash as I'm going to need it as I still have a ton of student loans to pay off and more classes to take (at a CC, unfortunately)... sigh, money is such a limiting factor right now, especially with the addition of a second child.

After looking at all the DO and/or DO/PhD programs I would apply to, I've realized I need to take some more physics, repeat a gen chem class with a lab, take a psych class, take an english course, and I would like to add in some A and P. I also need to go and fix some of my online work as stated in point 1. As I said before, I'd have to take these at the local cc due to both scheduling and cost issues. I need to have more credits in psych and english because I went to a school that's on a trimester system and the credits don't quite equal semester credits which is really frustrating. Other than that, I will need to prep and take the MCAT and probably also take the GRE to accommodate some of the grad school program requirements. I have a lot of research experience, but what I lack is clinical related experience so I need to shadow some DO's (my primary care doc and 3 of my OB's are DO's so I have people to ask later on, and my daughter's pediatric group also has a DO) and I need to get in some volunteering. I was thinking of trying the local cancer center which is affiliated with our hospital. I do have some experience interacting with patient advocates through my current job as they are involved in the proposal review process, but I haven't worked with them clinically, but I've heard some amazing survivor stories. I'll also be volunteering at the new school my daughter will be attending next year and I've already told them I have science experience so hopefully I can work with them doing something for the kids. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

1. 26 years old. Will be 27 this fall. Per AACOMAS my

cumulative gpa is 2.54,

science is 2.1

non-science is 2.85

taking mcat this September 12th

2. Financial situation is ok. I work part time that covers most of everything. Any big type of stuff my parents have agreed to help out and keep of tab of everything so I can pay them back after finishing

3. Single/not dating anyone currently but I do have a german shepherd dog lol

4. I have all of my degree requirements finished, so this summer I started to retake every class I have below a C- in. I am going to work my way up the chain with retaking all the F's then C's until I get accepted to a DO school. IF Everything goes to plan I should have my gpa up above a 3.0 by summer 2014 so I'll most likely apply then...

Also working part time in a medical setting, volunteering at several places, doing well on the mcat this sept (retake if I have to), and get strong lor's and committee interview...

Just turned 25, 3.14 s/cGPA MCAT pending

2. We lost our home, grew up having to work since the age of 16 in order to live. Finally landed a really good job, helped my family till they were stable, got married, saved money and moved to a university.

3. Married almost 4 years, 2 kids with #3 due in august!

4. first time applying.

I know I am posting this here again, but I hope it will be useful to someone at some point

AMCAS
cGPA 3.14
BCPM 3.14

AACOMAS
cGPA 3.28
sGPA 3.59

Deans list last 3 semesters
350+ hours otolaryngology shadowing, pediatric and OR
60 hours emergency medicine shadowing
President of a Prehealth club
Secretary 1 year before that
Highest amount in organization raised for ACS
Last 60 hours GPA 3.8
Hospital volunteering 65+ hours
Cancer survivor
Disadvantaged economically
Family with 2 kids
4 years working in upper management experience

Just turned 28. uGPA 2.97 sGPA 2.6 (ouch), gGPA 3.4 . MCAT 33S though it will need to be retaken since I took it in 2008.

Fresh out of school in Kansas, I was convinced by family that I stood no chance at gaining admission to a medical program ever and should pursue another career. I pretended that I wanted to be a biochemist and attended a PhD program at my undergraduate institution, gaining admission on a good MCAT and GRE + knowing a lot of professors due to having done research. 4 years and several burned bridges later I left the program and got a job offer to be a research associate (sort of like a post-doc) in Philly. I work there now and LOVE IT, but the reason I love it is because I'm working at a hospital with a bunch of really great residents and surgeons who have regaled me with their tales of medical practice.

After 2 years in this job with no particular future plans or direction, I took a week long vacation with some friends, camping in the wilderness near the Canadian border in New England. Something about the silence and natural beauty around me put me into a contemplative state. I have always known about the personal habits that keep me from success but I have not had the motivation or cause to put them away. I realized that I want to be a doctor and that it is time to quit talking and act. I came back, spoke to my boss (a pediatric surgeon) and began to develop a plan. I'll leave this job amicably in August and attempt to work out something part time while the wife finishes school.

I've saved up a small cushion over the past few years and am going to spend it when necessary but until then I hope to rely on financial aid, federal loans, and tutoring undergrads.

Engaged to be married in January to a beautiful wife with a similar sob story. She is planning to become a nurse and I am currently bankrolling her while she goes through school instead of buying a car or TV or something fancy like that. We're about to have a financial squeeze for a couple of years while I go back to class and she finishes her program.

We also have a dog and cat living with us in our tiny apartment.

Unfortunately most of my credit hours are BCPM so I have a lot of work to do to compensate my previous performance. I would need 60 credit hours (47 BCPM) at a 4.0 in order to get my cumulative and sGPA to 3.3. The journey starts in Spring at which point I'll enroll part time through the summer. Once my position here at the hospital is over in August I'll begin taking classes full time on my own dime. If I can get a high enough GPA over the next year I might be able to swing for a guaranteed admission SMP like Temple's ACMS program. If that doesn't work out, I'll keep pushing until my cumulative/sGPA >= 3.5.

In the meantime I am starting to explore volunteer opportunities. There's a hospital in West Philly that could use a lot of volunteer assistance and I think I'll start trying to get exposure to patients there and ask a few friends if they want to join. Finally, I'm thinking about part time work as an ER scribe or something like that to work in the field and keep getting a feel for things.

These are some very inspiring stories, people. I wish everyone success!

Although I agree with you, I'll argue the other side for fun. The benefit to taking courses after graduation is that they'll show up in the post-bacc section of your application, which could help with them getting noticed, especially if the performance is strong.
Also, not all schools allow you to defer graduation. My alma mater certainly did not!

Hello, fellow aspiring medicine men and women! After months of stalking this forum (which I have to allot partial credit for giving me the courage to take hold of my future's reins and yank them in the direction that I want to go), I'm throwing my hat in the ring as a hopefully 2015-2016 non-traditional applicant!

22, undergraduate GPA 3.1 overall (with a miserable science GPA somewhere in the 2.5 range). No MCAT yet.

I'm fortunate enough to be working as an overhire electrician, carpenter, and general stage crew for several theatres at the moment (I live in a city with a vibrant theatre industry), so I'm able to pick up available shifts according to my schedule without any penalties for not being able to work on certain days or for not picking up any shifts if I'm particularly busy that week. I also walk dogs on the same basis (as a cover walker) to pick up spare cash.

Single, and my only remaining family members will be leaving the country very soon to retire, so no ties to speak of!

It is so refreshing to finally be able to post on this forum as an official "I've-actually-called-myself-a-premed-to-other-humans" med school aspiree! My educational history has been convoluted; I left home at 17 after my coming out resulted in the severe escalation of a family member's mental health problems, which led to her hospitalization, which in turn kind of turned our entire household upside down (and NOT in a whacky-sitcom-style fun way). I deferred my university acceptance (I'd been going to go for premed and had been accepted to a phenomenal school for biology) for a year, wandered the country for a year, and during that year of wandering my interests changed quite a bit. I enrolled at the university the next year, but I got varying grades in my sciences classes (barely made it out of Gen Chem II with a D due to not caring about the class at all) and switched to the school's theatre program.

Four years later, I find myself with a degree in technical theatre. Over the past year of working in the real world as a techie, I've grown disenchanted with the life of a techie as well as the profession itself. After much consideration, I decided last spring that after my summer job, I'd take the plunge and pick up the doctor dream that I'd laid aside when I wasn't mature enough or life-stable enough to pursue it.

So here we are! I'm back in school (at a different university from my alma mater), taking Physics and re-taking Gen Chem and Biology II (I did quite well in bio my first time around, but the school's policies requires me to retake it here before I can take upper levels like Biochem). I'm working as an assistant in the lab here as well as an EMT dispatcher, and overall I'm quite optimistic about the coming year.

In the spring, I plan to take Gen Chem II / Physics II / Biochemistry (and/or possibly Sociology) and take the MCAT. I'll be taking Orgo over the summer and applying for next year's application cycle. I'll have to sign off here, as I have serious amounts of studying to do for tomorrow, but I'm glad to join you all in our quest to overcome our GPAs and join the medical profession!

Reactions: 1 users
cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 3.21
postbach GPA: 3.9
MCAT: not taken yet

Work: I work full time as a project manager for an architect, I work per diem (part time) as a medical scribe in ER, I tutor math 6 hrs a week, and I work part time as a ski instructor during winter months on weekends. I am financially stable, we own a home.

Family: I have been married for 18 months, my husband is very supportive and completely on board with me going to medical school. No kids yet, but in the works.

Plan: Finish prerequisites spring 2015, take april 18 mcat, apply mid june and hope for interviews! I'm trying to juggle all my jobs, maintain a 3.5+ in my 9 credits of courses, study for the MCAT, and just manage until June. Its a lot, but I keep telling myself there is a light at the end of it all. Organization is key. Waiting on taking 2 labs till next fall (hard working full time to get them completed as they are all during the day when i work).

I have a horrible GPA from first 2 year's of undergrad where I bombed every single class (didn't go to my classes, first time away from home so I saw it as an excuse to party/do whatever I pleased).

I was academically disqualified from that University and then I tried to get back INTO that university by going to the local CC. This was all in another state, I had was unaware about the effects it would have on my future academic career (had zero clue that anything would be carried over GPA wise).

My study skills and techniques were zero to none back in my first 2 years of undergrad, by luck and chance was I even accepted to a University out of high school. I was smart, but never applied myself.

After all of that happened, I moved back to CA and decided to take it slow with classes at a local CC. I got my first A one summer and I finally realized thatI could do it. So I slowly took more and more classes and tried my hardest to raise my GPA. I have stumbled through this process here and there, over extending myself with classes. But, I still believe I can do well and get accepted to Medical School.

I just finished my applications for Universities in my area to finish my B.S. in Human Biology, so I am hoping to transfer within the year. All while this is going on I have been volunteering in the Surgical Department at a local hospital. It's been a great experience shadowing and observing surgeries, I've learned so much and it's solidified that I want to become a physician.

My plans for the future:

1. Keep getting A's in my lower division pre-reqs, and do well in my Upper Division courses.
2. Continue to volunteer in the Surgical Department
3. Find a local organization to Volunteer my time at, something that I find meaningful to the community (besides medicine)
4. Apply for a tutoring position on campus (the extra income would help my tremendously)
5. Look into some organizations I can join once I transfer to the University

Also, for what it's worth I tried to appeal my grades/retroactively withdraw from the classes I bombed during my first 2 years. They declined it, and the only way to do so would be to retake the classes at the University.. which is something I definitely cannot afford to do.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I am also open to doing some sort of SMP in the future if necessary :)

Reactions: 1 user
1. Just turned 24, 3.0 cgpa, 2.76 sgpa, and 29 of an MCAT

2. Family was in bottom income tier. I'm currently a 6th year undergrad/post bacc student

3. No family of my own

4. 3rd time to apply, no interviews until 3 weeks ago when I got an interview for UT southwestern.

Plan to success: keep taking post bacc courses until schools see a significant trend. Currently, my last 60 hours ( out of 185) is a 3.8. I hope to increase it to 75 hours by the end of spring. however, I'm hoping I get into UT southwestern so I don't have to keep taking school! I'm on my 16th consecutive semester ( fall,spring ,summer, since 2004) and going into my 17th next semester..

I also think an interview is a success for me lol.

Did you get in? What ended up happening? This is an exciting story and great name by the way!

Last edited:
This is my first post - I'd like to get more involved in these forums but first plan on blocking out a few days to pour over the threads to see if the answers to my questions are buried within these pages. This is an introduction of sorts...

cGPA: 2.73
Haven't taken the MCAT yet
No science pre-reqs either (I took science-for-arts-students science courses and got an A- and B+ in those)

I was an immature and unappreciative young adult and wasted my parents' money as they paid for my first undergrad degree. I will be paying for the rest of my schooling. I am in the process of moving to a different country so I do not currently have a job. The plan is to get a professional degree in phlebotomy or nursing assistance so I can work while going to school.

I have no family of my own and no significant other. I am moving back home with my parents to ease the financial burden of paying for school.

I am an American who went to school in Canada. I never found a passion during my undergrad and made partying and socializing a priority instead of school. After graduating, I worked a menial job wondering what to do next until I began volunteering at a needle exchange/harm reduction program. I just knew healthcare was the field I wanted to work in after that.

Although my heart is in Canada, I decided to move back to the States for the (much) cheaper in-state tuition. I'm planning on spending a lot of time volunteering at hospitals here in the States and also shadowing MDs/DOs, NPs and PAs. The plan is to begin to take courses like calc, stat, bio and chem at a CC and if I ace them all, I'll apply for a GPA-enhancing post-bacc program. I've been casually lurking for a few months now and get the impression that MD is out of my reach, so the goal is to get into a DO program. Of course I will be observing PAs and NPs and considering if that route would be a better choice.

I am in the early stages of figuring everything out so forgive me if my noob-ness is glaringly conspicuous. I'm not sure if the fact that I have zero science courses under my belt with such a low GPA is to my benefit or disadvantage. Some of the things I have going for me is an excellent work ethic (yeah, learned that AFTER graduating... better late than never, right?), laser-focus, organization, and great people skills. My biggest issues are lack of leadership positions, terrible GPA and obvious waffling and laziness in the first half of my twenties.

The dream is to get into an osteopathic school and do my residency/settle in Canada working in rural/medically underserved communities.

This is my first post - I'd like to get more involved in these forums but first plan on blocking out a few days to pour over the threads to see if the answers to my questions are buried within these pages. This is an introduction of sorts...

No science pre-reqs either (I took science-for-arts-students science courses and got an A- and B+ in those)

I was an immature and unappreciative young adult and wasted my parents' money as they paid for my first undergrad degree. I will be paying for the rest of my schooling. I am in the process of moving to a different country so I do not currently have a job. The plan is to get a professional degree in phlebotomy or nursing assistance so I can work while going to school.

I have no family of my own and no significant other. I am moving back home with my parents to ease the financial burden of paying for school.

I am an American who went to school in Canada. I never found a passion during my undergrad and made partying and socializing a priority instead of school. After graduating, I worked a menial job wondering what to do next until I began volunteering at a needle exchange/harm reduction program. I just knew healthcare was the field I wanted to work in after that.

Although my heart is in Canada, I decided to move back to the States for the (much) cheaper in-state tuition. I'm planning on spending a lot of time volunteering at hospitals here in the States and also shadowing MDs/DOs, NPs and PAs. The plan is to begin to take courses like calc, stat, bio and chem at a CC and if I ace them all, I'll apply for a GPA-enhancing post-bacc program. I've been casually lurking for a few months now and get the impression that MD is out of my reach, so the goal is to get into a DO program. Of course I will be observing PAs and NPs and considering if that route would be a better choice.

I am in the early stages of figuring everything out so forgive me if my noob-ness is glaringly conspicuous. I'm not sure if the fact that I have zero science courses under my belt with such a low GPA is to my benefit or disadvantage. Some of the things I have going for me is an excellent work ethic (yeah, learned that AFTER graduating... better late than never, right?), laser-focus, organization, and great people skills. My biggest issues are lack of leadership positions, terrible GPA and obvious waffling and laziness in the first half of my twenties.

The dream is to get into an osteopathic school and do my residency/settle in Canada working in rural/medically underserved communities.

What kind of doctor do you think you want to be? Also, are there any schools that you're thinking about?

I am 34 this year.
cGPA: 2.95
pBacGPA: 3.50
MCAT 1: 22P
MCAT 2: 29Q

Full time Software Engineer with a BS in Computer Science. I make great money, but I loathe what I do. Worked my way through my undergrad years, which is why I have such a low cGPA. I worked 30+ hours a week so I wouldn't have a school loan debt.

Married with no children. My wife is matching for residency this year, so it makes it hard to decide on which schools to apply to. I am not willing to live apart just to pursue Medicine.

I applied this year with one II and one rejection. I will keep taking courses to improve my GPA and study like mad to retake the MCAT once again. Both times I have taken it I was weak on the Biology side, and I feel like I have covered this weakness. I will take four months to study nights and weekends like crazy to raise the score to ideally 33+.

I have 6 years of Medical Interpreting, but was informed I need a more rounded view of the Medical System so I will take this year and focus on shadowing with various doctors. Any extra advice is always welcome.

Did you get in?

Did you get in?

Sorry for not following up. After I posted that, I applied, got an interview and was rejected. I retook the MCAT and got the same score.

I applied again to early decision and was accepted while I was studying for the MCAT yet again.

I just finished my fourth test of medical school and all I can say is that I am so glad I persevered. I love every day even when it is tough.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on your acceptance! Your thread gives me hope is all. You will be a doctor in a couple of years. :) Where are you attending, if you don't mind me asking?

What kind of doctor do you think you want to be? Also, are there any schools that you're thinking about?

Since I'm interested in working in rural communities, I'd say becoming a GP is something I'm leaning towards. I'd probably end up having to help deliver babies and perform low-complexity surgical procedures as well which would give me the chance to expand into different areas of healthcare practice than a GP who works in a metropolitan area would.

I'm really just starting on this path towards a career in medicine, so I haven't researched too many medical schools yet. At this time I just want to take it slow and see if this is something I REALLY want and whether I have the aptitude for it. I'm not even sure what kind of post-bacc program I would like to do, whether it's an informal one or a structured pre-med post-bacc. The first steps I'm taking are shadowing, volunteering and taking courses at a community college.

I really just want to get centred before investing thousands of dollars and getting into debt. I want to be smart about this and who knows, maybe I'll stumble upon a different career path in healthcare? I want to be totally sure that being a doctor is something I want to do because there are so many other ways of helping people in a medical capacity :)

1. 23yo
cGPA = 3.47
sGPA = 2.7
GRE sections were in the 90-98%,
no MCAT yet.

2. Full-time copywriter at a pharmaceutical ad agency. I love this job because of the science, with which I hear a calling to do good. BS from a top business school in Marketing and Comparative Literature.

Inherited a small amount from my late mom this year, which I plan to use for living expenses for the first couple of upcoming school years. During college, worked in non-profits and marketing and made ends meet. Parents had sub 10K income and eventually were refused loans, so was fortunate to made it work without dropping out. Undergrad loans have now been paid off!

3. Single and not dating. Raised by single parent in an abusive environment with multiple political migrations during childhood and adolescence. Parent left for the old country while I was in high school and then passed away there in my senior year. History of mental illness, which I was also battling until the blessed moment when I got it under control a few months ago. Thankful to have it all behind me.

(i realize that i sound like a prayer circle with my "blessed" and "hearing a calling." do people let go of this lexicon when they get doctor jobs?)

4. The plan:

Started a charity project in college with a friend, raising funds and supplies for Chinese migrant workers. Was an environmental activist and raised funds for Relay for Life. Unfortunately though, my engagements in college all lasted for a semester. Such is the bipolar life when it's not under control.

Currently volunteering at a research oncology hospital's Urgent Care and homeless and environmental service projects in New York while working full time in New York. Working towards getting promoted and then asking for a letter of rec from my agency's medical director, a.k.a my main boss. Arranging shadowing in the OR and in oncology (is family medicine shadowing necessary? Wouldn't hurt for DO, in any case.)

I never gave science a single chance until I got this job writing about it, so I gotta start with basics. In June, starting Harvard Extension's intensive course in gen chem. In fall, moving down South for a second bachelor's with premed in either bio or physics (depending on how I like the first year of intro sciences.) Do research. Continue volunteering in urgent or emergency care, and in homeless services.

Until a few months ago, I was an up-and-coming poet and science fiction writer, with a few small publications and features in readings and a staged play. I have a promising half of a novel, which has an agent interested. Unfortunately, now that I'm on medication for bipolar disorder, I've been unable to write anything creative, but dampened creativity trumps mental illness any day. Hoping that I can finish my work on that and get the novel published before medical school. And rock the MCAT.

1. 28 cGPA: 2.943 sGPA:3.152

2. I recently finished my undergrad degree while my wife supports much of our financial needs. My parents did not graduate from college and do not hold steady jobs. Before going back to school to get my degree in genetics I was a chef that had attended culinary school. I recently got a position doing biomedical research at an ivy league university with a highly productive researcher.

3. I am married and have one 2.5 year old child. He was born with medical issues and had to spend 6 months in the NICU after he was born and has had multiple surgeries. Due to those surgeries he is currently on PN to sustain him nutritionally and has ongoing medical issues and overnight nursing. My GPA before he was born was a 3.95 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA so I plan to speak of that in my personal statement.

4. I am going to stay with the researcher I just got the job with for 3 years and hopefully get a few publications. She allows her techs to get first author if they spearhead a project so I plan to try and do that. I am going to use my employment to return to school and get a master's degree in either biotechnology or bioethics. I am going to get some shadowing under my belt as well, I have not had much luck with that yet but I haven't looked too hard yet. I am going to serve on the family council at my son's children's hospital and give lectures to residents, medical students, attendings, nurses, etc on the family perspective. I am going to volunteer at the local VA hospital. I am going to volunteer at the local Ronald McDonald House. I am going to start a 501c3 dedicated to helping families with sick children. I have also had some interest in my first hand account of what we went through with my son and publishing it as a book.

1. 23 cGPA: 2.77 MCAT: None

2. Currently, I've worked at a machine shop for the past seven years and I'm finishing up with my BSN full-time alongside. I messed up my opportunity with my biology major when I thought my social life was more important. Financially I'm in a hole like many others finishing up college.

3. My family is a huge part of my life and I don't know what I would do without them. I have a girlfriend of two years right now but I'm unsure of how medical school will clash with the relationship.

4. The one in a million plan:
I messed up my biology gpa but being at least moderately intelligent, I didn't do horrible in all of the prereq's. So I recovered, got accepted into Penn States nursing program and have had above a 3.25 each semester since. I plan to graduate with my BSN and do post-bac classes for the physics, biochem, and redo ochem for the MCAT over the next two years. After that, take the MCAT, kill the MCAT, apply to DO schools broadly.
Hopefully get accepted into a DO school somewhere. If I'm able I'd like to apply for the military loan repayment program. Get into a residency in cardiology. Finish the residency and fellowship. Move to the military repayment section which would be a four year commitment. Leave the military, move to Georgia, start a family.

P.S. This seems exhausting and I can't wait to go for it all. With dreams like this to reach for, no time can be wasted on the frivolous and petty parts of life.

P.P.S. My user name is not because I'm a mean person.
It's because I'm part of what the medical world hates:
1. Nurses that try become doctors
2. People that try to become DO's

Everybody is capable if given the chance.

cGPA: 3.25
No science pre-reqs either. I took biology made a B i think years ago

I was blessed that I had money set aside by my parents and so I will not have any undergrad debut when I graduate. Med school will be a different story. I work as an EMT-B on an ALS truck in a very busy county and have seen it all. I have learned more in the back of that ambulance than any classroom. I became an EMT because health always interested me and I love that one patient who actually needs you and you help them not the loads of BS you deal with on a daily basis. Money is tight and will contune to be in the future.

No family or kids. Not looking for that until after med school but you never know.

Just keep trucking. I plan on graduating this year with a BA in Psychology and then take my science courses after that. I stated college many years ago and did bad. I didn't care and always thought I wasn't smart enough to follow my dream of MD or do anything for that matter. After many many setbacks and wrong turns I am hopefully on my way. I will say that lately I have been very negative about the whole process. My GPA has dropped from 3.4 to 3.2 and this semester started off horrid. I get so worried and caught up with my own negative thoughts and fears. The whole its a marathon thing is very true. Even tougher when I see people my own age who I know that have gotten past all this and are either in med school or have already started their residency. Staying positive at times is very difficult. Best of luck to everyone!

cGPA: 3.06
sGPA: 3.46
pBacc: 3.84 (all pre-med science courses)
graduate GPA: 3.90 (engineering master's)
MCAT: 38

Engineer in the medical device industry. Finances are all right.

No family or kids.

Leverage my industry experience to sell myself as a good fit for doing an MD with a PhD in Engineering. I hope that my MCAT and recent academic record will overcome my terrible undergrad grades will get me to the point where humans read my application. I am also looking for advice anywhere that I can and started a thread, Engineer to MD/PhD in Engineering, in case there are others with a similar background applying this route and for experienced SDNers who can share insights.

Last edited:
Could we not post on threads that are over 6 years old and the most recent post was about a year ago?

K thanks bye

Could we not post on threads that are over 6 years old and the most recent post was about a year ago?

K thanks bye
Usually, I'd agree...but with this type of thread I do not. The alternative is starting a new one, and why do that when a place exists for this kind of post? That's what these compilation posts are FOR.

Usually, I'd agree...but with this type of thread I do not. The alternative is starting a new one, and why do that when a place exists for this kind of post? That's what these compilation posts are FOR.

Agreed, plus some of us are still around that originally posted while trying to get in. I am a second year getting ready for the boards, but I can still remember the uncertainty and stress my stats generated for me. Threads like this were like a sweet salve to my wounded psyche. I always hope that someone following behind me can derive the same sort of assurance from my experience that I got from others.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed, plus some of us are still around that originally posted while trying to get in. I am a second year getting ready for the boards, but I can still remember the uncertainty and stress my stats generated for me. Threads like this were like a sweet salve to my wounded psyche. I always hope that someone following behind me can derive the same sort of assurance from my experience that I got from others.
Yo también...my story is a couple of pages ago and I'm in the middle of an app cycle right now. If I get in, you can be DAMN sure I'll be updating to say that sometimes these crazy plans actually work.

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: not sure, but a bit lower than overall
pBacc: 4.0 (for Gen Chem 1, and Orgo 1 & 2)
MCAT: 29 from way back in 2004, but obviously retaking now

Stay at home mom, taking classes, volunteering, looking for PT work in a research setting. Financial situation is very good, thankfully. I haven't worked since before my oldest kid was born, so unfortunately, I don't have much to show for 2009 - 2014...not a great situation, but it is what it is.

Married with 2 kids (5 and 6 years old)

Trying to find some work/extracurricular/other things that are very focused in a specific area, most likely care of under-served populations. Planning/hoping to score above 97th percentile on MCAT in order to make up for my less than stellar undergrad academic performance. I'll probably apply in 2017, and possibly again in 2018 if necessary. At that point, if I haven't gotten any acceptances, I'd probably pursue some other medicine-related path, or possibly an O-Chem or Biochem PhD.