Low GPA Psychology Major.. Is D.O. school still in my reach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K223K

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I came on this site because I'm really starting to have doubts that I can raise my GPA in these last 2 years of college that I have left. My dream is to eventually go to D.O. school after finishing my bachelors (most likely after finishing post- bacc as well). Here's my back story...
I am half-way done with my degree. I've been out of school since 2014, due to my GPA dropping extremely low. I decided to give myself time to mature and come back to try again with a different mindset. I am a whole different person, all A's this far and very determined! The grades on my past transcript are mostly A's (from the classes I actually tried in) and the rest are C's (the classes I just showed up to and put little effort in). I was 18 when I started, dumb, working full time, and didn't take school serious :( Now I'm dealing with the consequences 4 years later.
I guess my question is what are some recommendations that you would give someone like me? I was thinking of switching my degree over to a science degree but decided to do pre-reqs after finishing my degree. Also, can you take pre-reqs during your degree?
My GPA is pretty low at 2.85, but if I get all A's in the 4 classes that I'm taking this semester it will be at a 3.03. Should I reconsider re-taking classes I got a C in? Also, I have taken only 2 science classes and those were A-'s. Should I consider post bacc also, or do I have time to redeem myself? I don't want to leave out that I am also a Medical Assistant/Xray tech with 3 years office experience (Dr. willing to write a letter of recommendation). I also have around 122 volunteer hours so far, hoping to get more experience.
I am wanting to go the D.O. route and hope I still have time to redeem myself. Thanks to all who reply in advance, and good day!
Here's a breakdown just because I did write a lot and some information can get lost up there...

Major- Psychology (half way through degree)
GPA- 2.85
Volunteer hours- 122
Experience/related- 3 years
Have not taken MCAT
-Do I still have what it takes to make it into D.O. school with hard work put forward?
-What do you recommend would be the best steps to get there?
-Sorry guys just saw that this post was uploaded on the wrong forum and not sure on how to delete it.....

Members don't see this ad.

If both your cGPA and sGPA are 3.2 or higher by the time you finish college and your MCAT is at least 500 you should be able to receive interviews at some of the newer DO schools. When you finish college and take the MCAT post your GPA's and MCAT score here.

Okay, I'll go ahead and do that. I'll be trying my best for a 3.3-3.4 by the time of graduation. I'll post here what the outcome of this last 1 1/2 - 2 years is. Thank you for taking time to reply:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!
I came on this site because I'm really starting to have doubts that I can raise my GPA in these last 2 years of college that I have left. My dream is to eventually go to D.O. school after finishing my bachelors (most likely after finishing post- bacc as well). Here's my back story...
I am half-way done with my degree. I've been out of school since 2014, due to my GPA dropping extremely low. I decided to give myself time to mature and come back to try again with a different mindset. I am a whole different person, all A's this far and very determined! The grades on my past transcript are mostly A's (from the classes I actually tried in) and the rest are C's (the classes I just showed up to and put little effort in). I was 18 when I started, dumb, working full time, and didn't take school serious :( Now I'm dealing with the consequences 4 years later.
I guess my question is what are some recommendations that you would give someone like me? I was thinking of switching my degree over to a science degree but decided to do pre-reqs after finishing my degree. Also, can you take pre-reqs during your degree?
My GPA is pretty low at 2.85, but if I get all A's in the 4 classes that I'm taking this semester it will be at a 3.03. Should I reconsider re-taking classes I got a C in? Also, I have taken only 2 science classes and those were A-'s. Should I consider post bacc also, or do I have time to redeem myself? I don't want to leave out that I am also a Medical Assistant/Xray tech with 3 years office experience (Dr. willing to write a letter of recommendation). I also have around 122 volunteer hours so far, hoping to get more experience.
I am wanting to go the D.O. route and hope I still have time to redeem myself. Thanks to all who reply in advance, and good day!
Here's a breakdown just because I did write a lot and some information can get lost up there...

Major- Psychology (half way through degree)
GPA- 2.85
Volunteer hours- 122
Experience/related- 3 years
Have not taken MCAT
-Do I still have what it takes to make it into D.O. school with hard work put forward?
-What do you recommend would be the best steps to get there?
-Sorry guys just saw that this post was uploaded on the wrong forum and not sure on how to delete it.....
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user