Low GPA senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklynzoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am currently in my 4th year of undergrad and I'm not thrilled with my stats

cGPA: 3.06
sGPA: 2.72 (57 credits)
MCAT: TBD (taking summer 2019, still have pre reqs to take)
E.C.: 200 hours working as a PT Aide (unpaid), 80 hours shadowing (no DO's), many hours non-clinical work

I am planning on doing a postbacc to repair my GPA. My sGPA after my freshman year was a 2.34 after 14 credits.

Is med school still worth pursuing at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I am currently in my 4th year of undergrad and I'm not thrilled with my stats

E.C.: 200 hours working as a PT Aide (unpaid), 80 hours shadowing (no DO's), many hours non-clinical work

I am planning on doing a postbacc to repair my GPA. My sGPA after my freshman year was a 2.34 after 14 credits.

Absolutely!

Just do a post-bac., masters, or SMP to increase GPA.

Then do well on the MCAT.

Throw in some research, a few more EC's, and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely!

Just do a post-bac., masters, or SMP to increase GPA.

Then do well on the MCAT.

Throw in some research, a few more EC's, and you should be fine.

What should I aim for GPA wise if I got around a 505 on the MCAT and added EC's?

What should I aim for GPA wise if I got around a 505 on the MCAT and added EC's?

It might be better if you ask specific committee members this, but:

If you're doing post-bac. work, you should get a 3.4+ cumulative and science GPA. (which you may not be able to earn because you have so many credits).

If you do a SMP, try for at least 3.5+ in the program itself. Medical schools care HIGHLY how you do in the SMP program and that is way more important to them than your cumulative/science GPA if you do this.

Any adcoms out there have anything to say? my anxiety is through the roof. I think I can get my sGPA to a 3.15-3.20 and cGPA to a 3.3 with a 2 year post bacc.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 users