MD Low GPA starting junior year; need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hinatka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just starting my junior year of college and have a low cGPA of 3.14, planning to take the MCAT in 2018. I am very worried about my chances for getting into an MD program with this GPA.

Freshman year cGPA: 3.25
Sophomore: 3.08

B+ in both Gen Chems, C+ in both semesters of Orgo, C+ in Genetics, B- in General Bio. I am taking Biochem and Physics this year.

I am very worried about my chances for getting into an MD program with this GPA and not sure how much an improvement this year will boost it up. My home state is Hawaii, so I think I have a chance at JABSOM. I have 2+ years of research experience in a lab, had a research internship this summer that was very premed-oriented. Did shadowing over the summer as well (~50 hrs), will continue throughout the year. Don't have hospital volunteering yet, but just started and will do all year. Have volunteered at an orphanage for 3 summers from 2013-2016, tutored the kids there and helped with homework, etc.

My question is, should I even bother applying next cycle, even if I do get a good MCAT score? Or should I go for a gap year/post-bacc, etc? I was really set on applying and going straight from undergrad to med school but now I am not so sure. And if I do take a gap year, should I take the MCAT later than January, as previously considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't apply next summer. In fact I wouldn't take the MCAT until you do something significant about your GPA. What is your sGPA? As things are now your ECs are weak, your GPA isn't competitive for MD school and not much better for DO. You have lots of work to do before you are ready to apply. Why did your GPA drop so much sophomore year? Start now and get all As. You have enough Bs and Cs on your transcript. Do this for the next four semesters and see where you are at that point. Then decide what needs to be done

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't apply next summer. In fact I wouldn't take the MCAT until you do something significant about your GPA. What is your sGPA? As things are now your ECs are weak, your GPA isn't competitive for MD school and not much better for DO. You have lots of work to do before you are ready to apply. Why did your GPA drop so much sophomore year? Start now and get all As. You have enough Bs and Cs on your transcript. Do this for the next four semesters and see where you are at that point. Then decide what needs to be done

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Totally agree with all this. Start getting used to the idea of being a "non trad" and having to take a gap year or two. Average age of matriculation is 24 for a reason, a lot of people do this!

A Post-bac program would probably be best. You would have the opportunity to take more classes show you can handle the science, and it would help you better prepare for the MCAT which you need to do particularly well with what you have so far to have a chance at MD. You would start applying towards the end of your post-bac year and spend your glide year probably working in something medically related and you'd have plenty of clinical experience by that point.