Low GPA success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When does is GPA consider low?

• <3.3

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • <3.0

Votes: 50 45.5%
  • <2.9

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • <2.8

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • <2.7

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Unknown3234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of success stories poeple would want to share. Also what kind of a GPA most poeple think is low.

Sorry for mistake in the poll, should be: When is a GPA considered low?

Thanks everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Unknown3234 said:
I was just wondering what kind of success stories poeple would want to share. Also what kind of a GPA most poeple think is low.

Sorry for mistake in the poll, should be: When is a GPA consider low?

Thanks everybody.

I just received my acceptance. GPA 3.0/MCAT 28L

I think I had a 3.2 sci and a 3.1 culm with a 31. But it's block exam time.... so I;m not even sure of my name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unknown3234 said:

Thanks everybody.

Actually, it should be "When is a GPA CONSIDERED low?"

I had a 3.38 cumulative and 2.78 science.

2.85 GPA, 29N MCAT, 2 acceptances (LECOM and LECOM-FL)

I would consider a GPA below average once it falls below 1 SD from the mean. I'm figuring that's around 3.2 for DO schools. whether you can get accepted or not with that GPA does not matter. I think once you get below 3.0 its definitely on the low side.

3.1 sci/culm GPA 32 MCAT
5 applications; 5 interviews; 1 acceptance so far

Unknown3234 said:

Thanks everybody.

Somehow it does not surprise me that the instigator of a poll regarding low GPAs would fail to adequately check his or her post for grievous grammatical errors. Small typos are one thing, but Jesus Christ your whole ****ing sentence describing the poll is a ****ing mess. Furthermore, your post to apologize for your mis-post misspells "people". To get to the bottom of your problem, you might want to start with your attention to detail.

einnewt said:
Somehow it does not surprise me that the instigator of a poll regarding low GPAs would fail to adequately check his or her post for grievous grammatical errors. Small typos are one thing, but Jesus Christ your whole ****ing sentence describing the poll is a ****ing mess. Furthermore, your post to apologize for your mis-post misspells "people". To get to the bottom of your problem, you might want to start with your attention to detail.

Ouch! But funny :smuggrin:

HunterGatherer said:
I would consider a GPA below average once it falls below 1 SD from the mean. I'm figuring that's around 3.2 for DO schools. whether you can get accepted or not with that GPA does not matter. I think once you get below 3.0 its definitely on the low side.

3.1 sci/culm GPA 32 MCAT
5 applications; 5 interviews; 1 acceptance so far

Aahhhhh!! A (wo)man after my own heart. I ****ing love that commercial (the slight shift side to side of his head [a la angry sista] after he delivers said line is priceless). I laugh every time I see it still, but no one else seems to share my mirth. I only regret that I had not the inclination nor technological savvy to make it my avatar before you. Damn.

P.S. The "roast duck with the mango salsa" is also a brilliant line!

Obviously I'm a big fan. Some of my best friends are cavepeople.

einnewt said:
Aahhhhh!! A (wo)man after my own heart. I ****ing love that commercial (the slight shift side to side of his head [a la angry sista] after he delivers said line is priceless). I laugh every time I see it still, but no one else seems to share my mirth. I only regret that I had not the inclination nor technological savvy to make it my avatar before you. Damn.

P.S. The "roast duck with the mango salsa" is also a brilliant line!

bkpa2med said:
davey - non trad???

Yes, if by non-trad, you mean dumber then average...

Seriously though, I transferred twice, changed majors three times, between 3 different fields, then decided on Human Bio and Pre-Med. I suppose I dazzled them with my wit at the interview. That's the only explaination I have for getting accepted.

davey -
That's great and I am glad to hear you made it in. I asked if you were a non-trad because adcoms are more lenient knowing you have alot to handle.

einnewt said:

Again, I am sorry I had just finished working hard on an assignment and was tired. I did not realize that my grammatical errors would bother you so much, I apologize again. I also did not realize that there were such arrogant individuals in the DO forum; you must be from the MD forum. I have always found that the best learners were those who helped there peers, not those who attacked them for having a bad day. By the way I do not really have a problem I just wanted to get a consensus from the people on this site. I believe that my chance of getting into a DO school is average or a little better. My first year in college was horrible with a GPA around a 2.3. Not counting the first year my GPA would be a 3.96. Again I apologize for my post causing you such heartache.

It doesnt bother me at all. I make mistakes too, but in your own defense you screwed up again.. Just found it a tid bit humerous.... " Be the way" lol

Yes you are correct and yes it is humorous. I completely overlooked “Be.” I do not mind being corrected. einnewt comments were a bit disturbing. I did not really think it was being graded by someone so no I did scrutinize the post. I wrote it quickly just thinking that it would be interesting to see what everybody thought. I posted it and look it over and realized the post was wrong but I did not know how to edit the title of the poll.
In my reply to einnewt I was trying to say “correct me just don’t be such an arrogant a** about it.” :p