LOW GPA success stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtechv79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I remember a while back there was a low GPA thread with people's stats and what they did to overcome them and their success stories on how now they are in medical school. Would it be possible to bring that thread back....or have newly admitted people tell me their redeeming success stories after a low undergrad GPA? Thanks....I really need the encouragement!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I remember a while back there was a low GPA thread with people's stats and what they did to overcome them and their success stories on how now they are in medical school. Would it be possible to bring that thread back....or have newly admitted people tell me their redeeming success stories after a low undergrad GPA? Thanks....I really need the encouragement!!!

My friend from my Master's program had about a 3.1-3.2 GPA (albeit 36 mcat) and applied for acceptance in 2006. He was accepted to UC davis, on the waitlist for UC Irvine, and was accepted off the waitlist. gives me hope!!

Hi All,

Follow the link in my signature below.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Well, I just got in... I think hint #1 is to kick the MCAT's butt. I almost wondered whether that backfired, though... seems like the adcomms that didn't really know what my undergrad program was about might have assumed that high MCAT + low GPA = lazy student.

Hint #2 is to raise your GPA. Take undergrad-level classes as a post-bac. I raised my GPA from a 3.0 to a 3.3 in that way... still not fantastic, but better. Very stressful, however, working full time and taking 2 science classes/semester. Other people on this board have reported less stress, so it could just be that I'm a little bit of a slow worker sometimes.

Hint #3: if you search mdapplicants.com, you'll notice that a large percentage of the people with low GPAs who got in at all, got into either an osteopathic or a state school. Reside in a good state! (that's what saved my butt.) And if the osteopathic route is compatible with your long-term goals, apply to DO schools as well.

Okay I am kind of new to this and I have a question, probably a stupid one but, when I looked at some of the links put up for this thread, I saw a spot that said BCPM GPA. What does BCPM stand for?

Okay I am kind of new to this and I have a question, probably a stupid one but, when I looked at some of the links put up for this thread, I saw a spot that said BCPM GPA. What does BCPM stand for?

Bio CHem Physics Math

something i can do....

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics

=

BCPM

Appreciate it. (Duh to me):laugh:

Just got my first acceptance (Penn State, OOS) - 3.18 GPA, 2.98 BCPM. It definitely can be done!

To pathognomonic:

Congratulations to you! That's quite an accomplishment and Penn State is a great school!

Could you shed some more light on how you were able to do that? Did you do any post-bac prep?

- MCAT scores?
- Work Exp?
- Where did you go for undergrad?
- Where else are you applying?

and any other information would be very useful.

Thanks, I would really appreciate your response.

Foolish...thanks, I'm really excited.

I have a professional degree (I am a veterinarian) and am also a veteran (Navy). I think these two things helped a lot since my MCAT is not world-shaking (34R). My undergraduate school is Cornell. I have had an extremely random application experience. I was rejected by EVMS the same day I got an interview invite from Hopkins.:p

Members don't see this ad :)
medtechv79 said:

Though most find this more discouraging than encouraging - I did another degree with a very good GPA and got in to my first choice school. (My first two degrees, done jointly, had a GPA of about 2.5.)

Hi All,

I gave my "personal journey" story in another thread, but basically I had a sub-3.0 GPA and got into my state school. It can be done. I did have a 36 MCAT though including 15 on verbal, and I was lucky that my school weighs that section a bit more. I also showed an upward trend in my grades with postbacc classes, volunteered at a local hospital, and had some very good LORs from people who were being too nice to me.

Like my app my actual med school performance has been wildly uneven... I got smoked in anatomy but did very well in phys... I have a feeling that I'm going to go into match with a mediocre GPA and a good Step 1 score... so that that as you will! :oops:

Ok.. so my over all is 3.3

My BCPM is a 3.8 .. woot!!!!!!!!

I was stressing out majorly, ya'll have know idea... I thought the grades were much lower!

To all premeds: keep working on those grades... study study study, get tutoring, be in your profs office hours, if you need to. Make even those "measily" GE courses count!!!!!

Hi All,

I have a 3.0 (AMCAS) and 3.24(AACOMAS) gpa. I was accepted to 1 DO so far, only applied to 5 MD schools, but 1 rejection from those so far. 32 Mcat here.

I took off from school for a semester due to health conditions of my father (cancer patient).

I was doing pre-pharmacy and my grades dropped heavily during these hard 2 years with my father. They baisically fell to the slums at this point and im starting school again to remedy this GPA situation.

I came to the understanding with myself that pharmacy is not something that interests me. Aganist the advice of my mother who pushed me into pharmacy I have decided to do medicine.

I am plagued with what bachelor deg. to attain. Several of my cousins who are MDs, suggest getting non medical field related deg. is something medical colleges are interested in. Their reasoning being that medical colleges are looking for a more diverse background in studies.

I want some guidance and figurered talking to prespective students might help my situation.

please offer any guidance you can.

Major in something that you are truly interested in. Thats a way to start.

And Jesus loves you. :)

I managed to do it. Check my link in my sig. I didn't explain all of my EC's in detail, but it does give you my raw numbers.

I would say this just to give yo hope. It probably makes me look like a fool, but here are my stats when I got in.

AACOMAS
2.8 non-science
3.2 science

25P

I guess I had a few EC's that were different. I work 50+ hours a week. Made and sold a company to citi group my fresh/soph year in college. Numerous mission trips to countries. I have to say it's all by grace.

Keep on truckin'. It'll happen for you.

I would say this just to give yo hope. It probably makes me look like a fool, but here are my stats when I got in.

AACOMAS
2.8 non-science
3.2 science

25P

I guess I had a few EC's that were different. I work 50+ hours a week. Made and sold a company to citi group my fresh/soph year in college. Numerous mission trips to countries. I have to say it's all by grace.

Keep on truckin'. It'll happen for you.

Where did you get in if you don't mind me askng?

Hey everyone. I am very depressed because I have a 2.5gpa and I am still in my undergraduate at a community college. I have three more terms to go before I transfer. I am at my rope's end. Can anyone please give me some advice or tell me what I have to look forward to because I feel as if this is it for me and I will not get accepted to medical school. I NEED HELP!!! Feel free to private message me!

Hey everyone. I am very depressed because I have a 2.5gpa and I am still in my undergraduate at a community college. I have three more terms to go before I transfer. I am at my rope's end. Can anyone please give me some advice or tell me what I have to look forward to because I feel as if this is it for me and I will not get accepted to medical school. I NEED HELP!!! Feel free to private message me!

Study a lot, and take advantage of your resources, like the tutor center, and the office hours of the professor. The best thing to do is to see what study habits work for you and go from there.

Yup.. i second what he said, study, get tutoring! Do everything possible! :)

A lot depends on WHY you have a 2.5 gpa.

POSSIBILITY 1: Other distractions in your life. Maybe they're hurting your concentration, maybe they're limiting your time for studying. If this is the case, you might help yourself by SLOWING DOWN. We all want to get there as quickly as possible, but don't burn yourself out and ruin your GPA by taking on more than you can handle.

POSSIBILITY 2: Missing study skills. We all know you can get a high school diploma in this country without ever studying a day in your life. Some people have real trouble adapting to the different style of college courses. If this is the case, you might help yourself by visiting whatever guidance office your community college has and letting them advise you.

POSSIBILITY 3: You're just not cut out for college- and graduate-level science classes. Don't pick this option until you've thoroughly explored possibilities 1&2. If this is you, and pre-med coursework isn't where you're going to thrive, you should avoid pinning your ego on being a doctor. I think that good advice for almost ALL pre-meds, no matter how they're doing, is to have a back-up plan -- something to aim for in the event that you can't or won't go to medical school.

Bottom line: having trouble in the community college is a bad sign, but the difficulty might have a source that you can address effectively. Be patient. Pulling up that 2.5 will take time and hard work. :luck:

A lot depends on WHY you have a 2.5 gpa.

POSSIBILITY 1: Other distractions in your life. Maybe they're hurting your concentration, maybe they're limiting your time for studying. If this is the case, you might help yourself by SLOWING DOWN. We all want to get there as quickly as possible, but don't burn yourself out and ruin your GPA by taking on more than you can handle.

POSSIBILITY 2: Missing study skills. We all know you can get a high school diploma in this country without ever studying a day in your life. Some people have real trouble adapting to the different style of college courses. If this is the case, you might help yourself by visiting whatever guidance office your community college has and letting them advise you.

POSSIBILITY 3: You're just not cut out for college- and graduate-level science classes. Don't pick this option until you've thoroughly explored possibilities 1&2. If this is you, and pre-med coursework isn't where you're going to thrive, you should avoid pinning your ego on being a doctor. I think that good advice for almost ALL pre-meds, no matter how they're doing, is to have a back-up plan -- something to aim for in the event that you can't or won't go to medical school.

Bottom line: having trouble in the community college is a bad sign, but the difficulty might have a source that you can address effectively. Be patient. Pulling up that 2.5 will take time and hard work. :luck:

:laugh: Never knew we had SDN Dr. Phills on this forum :laugh: :laugh:

Bottom line, your not in the best shape, if you cant handle community college, you are doing something wrong. Is all hope gone, NO. Just prove yourself in the 4 year college you transfer to, and do it SOON, like the first semesters, kick butt on the MCAT, and have a good excuse for your PS why you did so poorly at your CC.
Keeping it real...

When I was struggling with statistics I discovered the Academic Success Center has tutors! Free of charge as part of your tuition!!!!!! Get help from them.