Low GPA / Trying to one day get into Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgbg22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Little quick background. I am 27 years old. Graduated with BA in History /Business Minor in College with a terrible GPA 2.4. Went to a community college at night after graduating with a Bachelors and got my paralegal certificate (thought I wanted to be a lawyer) and maintained a 3.8 GPA. Worked for the past 4 years and worked my way up in an insurance company to a Business Analyst (respectable position).

I am extremely interested in becoming a Dentist, and I was planning on going back to school for pre-reqs as in college the only science I ever took with Geology and Astronomy. At the time I was in college, I was downright immature and only thought about the opposite sex and partying.

I had a great time, and I am lucky to even have a great job that provides me with a above average salary and great benefits. I have been really trying to find myself since graduating in 2008 and I am really shown a strong interest in pursuing Dentistry. I have spoken to several dentists and weighed the pros and the cons. My GF was a pre-med student who was accepted into Med School but decided to do Teach for America and absolutely loves teaching Biology so she has given me advice/some knowledge on how tough the pre-reqs might be.

I am looking for everyone's absolute honest opinion. If I went back to a University and took Bio/Chem/Physics/Calc etc, and then took my DAT, would I have any chance what-so-ever of getting into a Dental School in the US. I graduated from SUNY Stony Brook, so Id figure to try to get into there, I want to stay Eastern US, so I was thinking Drexel as well.

I do generally very well on standardized test(s), not great, but above average (1310 SAT) (690 GMAT). I really would like to get started on this so that I could complete school by my 35th or 36th birthday.

I am more focused and dedicated than I have ever been in my life, and I really wish I could have gone back and done better and acted more maturely in college, but I can't change the past, I was 18-21 years old, and I didn't know what I wanted to do in life.....

Let's say, just for example, I pull a 3.7 - 4.0 GPA in all the science classes/pre-dental classes I am going to start taking, and Lets say I score average to slightly above average on the DAT, will I have any shot, or am I sunk in a hole due to my undergrad?

Thank you again for your time,

Will

Members don't see this ad.

You need to calculate what your gpa will be when you submit your app to dental school: BCP, sGPA, cGPA. If any of these dont meet the minimum requirements for the schools you apply to...chances are it will get kicked and rejected before it ever has a chance since there are so many applicants applying that will have qualifying gpas. You can have a 3.7-4.0 on your pre reqs after you go back but if your final gpa is like a 2.6 in any of the before mentioned gpas then it wont mean much cause most of the schools have minimum gpa requirements (They are not set in stone but it is pretty sure gonna get you a rejection letter 99.9% of the time). Remember there will be like 1000+ applicants with gpas that qualify that the schools wont need to take special time and consideration reviewing. You may be absolutely qualified to go to dental school but you must make sure the gpa is competitive or most likely its a lost cause (unless you do amazing on the DAT). Obviously there is always a chance you could get in but it is much harder to do if you arent competitive in stats to the majoritiy of the rest of the applicants. I am not on an ad com , just giving my opinion since Im in a pretty similar situation to yours.

I am looking for everyone's absolute honest opinion. If I went back to a University and took Bio/Chem/Physics/Calc etc, and then took my DAT, would I have any chance what-so-ever of getting into a Dental School in the US. I graduated from SUNY Stony Brook, so Id figure to try to get into there, I want to stay Eastern US, so I was thinking Drexel as well.

Drexel doesn't have a dental school. If you are in Philadelphia, your two choices are UPenn and Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would definitely have a shot! If you do well in these classes and do well on the DATs, I don't see why you wouldn't be considered, especially since you'd be attending schools with kickass science departments. It shows your maturity and ability to overcome significant obstacles. Plus you have an interesting story to write about. One thing though, make sure you shadow a lot and pick up a hobby that uses manual dexterity.

Thank you for the inspiring note. I really want to dedicate myself.

You need to calculate what your gpa will be when you submit your app to dental school: BCP, sGPA, cGPA. If any of these dont meet the minimum requirements for the schools you apply to...chances are it will get kicked and rejected before it ever has a chance since there are so many applicants applying that will have qualifying gpas. You can have a 3.7-4.0 on your pre reqs after you go back but if your final gpa is like a 2.6 in any of the before mentioned gpas then it wont mean much cause most of the schools have minimum gpa requirements (They are not set in stone but it is pretty sure gonna get you a rejection letter 99.9% of the time). Remember there will be like 1000+ applicants with gpas that qualify that the schools wont need to take special time and consideration reviewing. You may be absolutely qualified to go to dental school but you must make sure the gpa is competitive or most likely its a lost cause (unless you do amazing on the DAT). Obviously there is always a chance you could get in but it is much harder to do if you arent competitive in stats to the majoritiy of the rest of the applicants. I am not on an ad com , just giving my opinion since Im in a pretty similar situation to yours.

Thank you for your insight, I am a little behind on the acronyms, what does BCP stand for? Do you think schools will factor in my CC paralegal program as well?

Thank you for your insight, I am a little behind on the acronyms, what does BCP stand for? Do you think schools will factor in my CC paralegal program as well?

BCP GPA = GPA from only classes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- different from sGPA (science GPA) which can include math, nutrition, etc classes.

Last edited:
BCP GPA = GPA from only classes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- difference from sGPA (science GPA) which can include math, nutrition, etc classes.

Ok, thank you for the clarification, I wish there was a beginner thread in here lol

Which GPA has higher weight when applying? Does it go

BCP > sGPA > GPA?

Ok, thank you for the clarification, I wish there was a beginner thread in here lol

Which GPA has higher weight when applying? Does it go

BCP > sGPA > GPA?

All of them are important. I want to say that BCP/sGPA are more important, but that's certainly not a definitive answer. The issue with a low GPA, as bumpntrunk alluded to above, is that you run the risk of being "automatically" rejected by not meeting the minimum requirements of a school. Those requirements are generally held for both your overall and science GPAs.

All of them are important. I want to say that BCP/sGPA are more important, but that's certainly not a definitive answer. The issue with a low GPA, as bumpntrunk alluded to above, is that you run the risk of being "automatically" rejected by not meeting the minimum requirements of a school. Those requirements are generally held for both your overall and science GPAs.

Yes, that is very important. Is there a thread on here that lists the schools that have these requirements? Or do you know them off the top of your head?

Dental school is definitely not impossible, but it's certainly an uphill battle with a 2.4 GPA. Chances are you have well over a hundred of credit hours accumulated already, making it even more difficult to raise that GPA to over 3.0. Definitely take the time to figure out how many credits (assuming a x.xx average that you think you can accomplish) it will take to raise your GPA to a respectable number (most schools cutoff is 3.0). I don't know much about "formal" post-bacc programs, but creep around on the threads here and you might find something near you. As I understand it, they're programs that are designed for people in your situation (few science credits and/or bad GPA) that assist you in completing the pre-reqs and some suggested courses in a reasonable amount of time. In your situation, I think it's worth considering the opportunity cost of your dream, too. Completing all of the pre-reqs and suggested courses, studying for and taking the DAT will take you at least a few years.

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm <---- you can do the GPA calculations there.

By the way, I just plugged in some numbers - Assumed you've completed 126 credit hours (what I had to complete for my bachelors) with a 2.4 GPA - You need 76 CH with a 4.0 GPA to raise your 2.4 to a 3.0. The pre-reqs and most suggested courses will only add up to about about 60 credit hours.

Last edited:
You got to look at each school's website (that you plan to apply to) and check under admissions requirements. I applied to GHSU which has minimum gpa 2.8 but then another school, such as Midwestern, is 2.75. UPenn states in the pamphlet they sent me they dont have a minimum but then it states the avg gpa is like 3.7 or something, so even if they dont have a minimum you can read between the lines...It is pretty certain if you cant meet the minimum admissions requirements, you get bounced. The schools might also say the avg gpa is a 3.6 or something for those accepted but keep in mind that is an avg and that means there are people with higher gpa's and lower ones as well getting in, so you at least have a chance if you meet the minimum requirements.

Dental school is definitely not impossible, but it's certainly an uphill battle with a 2.4 GPA. Chances are you have well over a hundred of credit hours accumulated already, making it even more difficult to raise that GPA to over 3.0. Definitely take the time to figure out how many credits (assuming a x.xx average that you think you can accomplish) it will take to raise your GPA to a respectable number (most schools cutoff is 3.0). I don't know much about "formal" post-bacc programs, but creep around on the threads here and you might find something near you. As I understand it, they're programs that are designed for people in your situation (few science credits and/or bad GPA) that assist you in completing the pre-reqs and some suggested courses in a reasonable amount of time. In your situation, I think it's worth considering the opportunity cost of your dream, too. Completing all of the pre-reqs and suggested courses, studying for and taking the DAT will take you at least a few years.

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm <---- you can do the GPA calculations there.

By the way, I just plugged in some numbers - Assumed you've completed 126 credit hours (what I had to complete for my bachelors) with a 2.4 GPA - You need 76 CH with a 4.0 GPA to raise your 2.4 to a 3.0. The pre-reqs and most suggested courses will only add up to about about 60 credit hours.

Yea that is right where I am around, 128 credits I have. Thanks for the info. Im guessing there is no way to erase the past. Do you think schools would see the high GPA in BCP/sGPA and sort of waive the low GPA as it was 4+ years ago, or am I destined to fail in this process because of this.

I am looking to get into a school in NY/Phily/Northeast. So I would be shooting for Stony Brook, NYU, Temple.

Do you in your opinion think I have any chance of attending those three if I pulled a 3.7-4.0 GPA and a decent DAT?

You got to look at each school's website (that you plan to apply to) and check under admissions requirements. I applied to GHSU which has minimum gpa 2.8 but then another school, such as Midwestern, is 2.75. UPenn states in the pamphlet they sent me they dont have a minimum but then it states the avg gpa is like 3.7 or something, so even if they dont have a minimum you can read between the lines...It is pretty certain if you cant meet the minimum admissions requirements, you get bounced. The schools might also say the avg gpa is a 3.6 or something for those accepted but keep in mind that is an avg and that means there are people with higher gpa's and lower ones as well getting in, so you at least have a chance if you meet the minimum requirements.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. I havent started taking any pre-reqs, but its def good to gain all of this info before I begin.

I really want to know if I spend the money to obtain these pre-reqs, will it be a waste of money, because I am already doomed with my Undergrad failures.....

Your good,PUT YOUR STUDY SO HARD PANTZ ON, AND DESTROY THE DAT.
This is THE D.D.S FORUM, where we won't dog you like the pre-med forum.:D As long as you ace those hours, you have a shot. UT accepted a a women with a low 2 G.P.A, since she had family problems.

Your good,PUT YOUR STUDY SO HARD PANTZ ON, AND DESTROY THE DAT.
This is THE D.D.S FORUM, where we won't dog you like the pre-med forum.:D As long as you ace those hours, you have a shot. UT accepted a a women with a low 2 G.P.A, since she had family problems.

Thats good, still doesnt change the past...wish I could...but hey, not going to harp on it, going to study my butt off.

Yea that is right where I am around, 128 credits I have. Thanks for the info. Im guessing there is no way to erase the past. Do you think schools would see the high GPA in BCP/sGPA and sort of waive the low GPA as it was 4+ years ago, or am I destined to fail in this process because of this.

I am looking to get into a school in NY/Phily/Northeast. So I would be shooting for Stony Brook, NYU, Temple.

Do you in your opinion think I have any chance of attending those three if I pulled a 3.7-4.0 GPA and a decent DAT?

You can't argue with stats (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=899971) - the fact is admission is selective. That said, I do think admissions is on a case-by-case basis and schools will definitely notice perseverance. It's worth taking a look at threads that have been started by doc toothache, as he provides telling statistics, and other useful guides in the dental school admission process. Hope this helps -- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=20017731

You can't argue with stats (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=899971) - the fact is admission is selective. That said, I do think admissions is on a case-by-case basis and schools will definitely notice perseverance. It's worth taking a look at threads that have been started by doc toothache, as he provides telling statistics, and other useful guides in the dental school admission process. Hope this helps -- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=20017731

Yeah, I am really dedicated, and I hope that I am not pissing away money here, I really want to dedicate myself, but I am scared that I won't get looked at one bit. I'm relaly hoping admission staff's will look case by case on mine.

Does anyone think it would be beneficial for me to email admission departments to ask for their opinions?

Does anyone think it would be beneficial for me to email admission departments to ask for their opinions?

Probably not at this time of the year given your timeline of just starting out. The admissions offices are probably busy working through this current cycle's applications. I would talk to a pre-health advisor first; the best time to ask for advice seems to be June-ish as that might be when the admissions offices are winding down from the incoming class' application cycle and gearing up for next year's incoming class.

Probably not at this time of the year given your timeline of just starting out. The admissions offices are probably busy working through this current cycle's applications. I would talk to a pre-health advisor first; the best time to ask for advice seems to be June-ish as that might be when the admissions offices are winding down from the incoming class' application cycle and gearing up for next year's incoming class.

Ok that is great feedback, thank you for the info. I think a pre-health advisor would def help.

Question though, what does current cycle mean? Are there more than one?:confused:

Ok that is great feedback, thank you for the info. I think a pre-health advisor would def help.

Question though, what does current cycle mean? Are there more than one?:confused:

The 2012-2013 application cycle = current cycle.