Low GPA, URM (black female). Looking for feedback please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnellie

Reaction score
So I'm a recent black female graduate. My cgpa is 2.78 (terrible I know). I have a slight upward curve as I learned to study and manage my time better but in general my transcript is littered with B's and C's with one D in organic chemistry. I do have a compelling explanation. The one semester I gained a D is when my sister had just been diagnosed with a brain tumor compressing part of her occipital lobe. I was taking organic chem, physics, stats and two other electives so juggling that semester truly brought me down.

Ok! To the slightly better news. Decided to take 2 gap years to fix myself.
Currently work as a tech in a bio research lab at MIT where I did my undergrad thesis as well. I should publish first author 2021 spring, 2nd author fall 2020.
McNair Scholar
I've shadowed (80+ hours)
Tons of volunteer work, 400+ hours (Big Sister, women's shelter...)
Planning for 100 hours of clinical volunteer in the spring
Currently retaking Orgo. Planning to take Physics 2 and Genetics as well. And possibly a random 300 level bio class. This should raise my gpa to at least a 2.9, at best a 3.0.
Know I need to smash the MCAT so I've been studying since the summer and plan to take it in April 2020. My recent practice tests have been VERY good. I got a 510 on the last one (NextStep). I know after I take Physics 2, I can get it even higher. I'm a good standardized test taker.

What should I do? I only planned to take two years off so any post bacc program/ SMP I look into now would push me behind. Plus I work full time (thankfully have a supportive lab when it comes to studying.) ANY ADVICE WILL HELP. Like should I even pursue this anymore? If so, what schools should I be looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should take enough additional science courses to raise both your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 . Then if your MCAT is 500 or higher you could receive interviews at DO schools. If your MCAT is at least 508 you could receive interviews at some MD schools. Post your actual MCAT score here when available next year.