low GPA... what schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXGal2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a junior in undergrad and my science GPA is a 2.8 while my cumulative GPA is a 3.45 Based on this info what schools should I apply to? Texas schools require a high science GPA so I'm wondering what out-of-state schools would be a better fit for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation but i'm going to apply to Baylor(#1 choice), i here howard and meharry accept students with low gpa's. you might want to check there admission requirements. Have you started writing your personal statement? I'm having writers block.:(

Can you retake 1 class or 2 to raise your GPA? Some professors at my school let you retake a class without going to class again. You have to register again, and then work with the professor on a path just for you. Ask about it. If you had a border C and you and the prof know what went wrong, then some are willing to help you out.

Just an idea. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be sure to research schools in detail (online) before you apply. The best way of going about it is to find out what the school is about, because even though some may have average acceptances with lower gpa's, they might LOVE community service hours or research, etc. Start by narrowing avg scores (INCLUDING DAT) that seem reasonable by doing online research, then look at each of those individual schools carefully. For instance, UoP has slightly lower end GPA's, but still higher DAT scores and tend to take older applicants. That's what I did, time consuming but worth it.

Can you retake 1 class or 2 to raise your GPA? Some professors at my school let you retake a class without going to class again. You have to register again, and then work with the professor on a path just for you. Ask about it. If you had a border C and you and the prof know what went wrong, then some are willing to help you out.

Just an idea. Good luck!

Just be aware that retaking a class does not replace the original grade for dental schools, no matter what your individual school's policy is. Both grades count toward your application GPA.

I think regardless, you REALLY need to take some science classes and get that science GPA at least above a 3.2. I'm pretty sure that quite a few schools have a firm cutoff at 3.0 sGPA or greater (although they may or may not announce this). You may need to spend another year or two taking (and concentrating) on science classes alone. I think it might be worth your while.

Until you get that science GPA above a 3.2, I think you should save your money. Even with a 3.2 sGPA, you will likely need to apply to 20-30 schools. This is not cheap.

I think regardless, you REALLY need to take some science classes and get that science GPA at least above a 3.2. I'm pretty sure that quite a few schools have a firm cutoff at 3.0 sGPA or greater (although they may or may not announce this). You may need to spend another year or two taking (and concentrating) on science classes alone. I think it might be worth your while.

Until you get that science GPA above a 3.2, I think you should save your money. Even with a 3.2 sGPA, you will likely need to apply to 20-30 schools. This is not cheap.

Do you think doing a SMP would be a good alternative to trying to work up a sGPA?

IMHO, there is nothing more important than GPA, especially sGPA! The DAT comes in as a very close second. The rest is all a very distant third. Get those grades up anyway you can. That's your #1 priority. Forget anything else until you get in the 3.3+ range for sGPA and 3.5+ for GPA.

If you absolutely insist on applying with your GPA as is and you are not a minority and have lots of money I'd do the shotgun approach(apply EVERYWHERE!) and include USC and Temple just to name a few. If you are an African American, Meharry and Howard are obvious choices.

Good luck.....get that nose in them books!!!

man i have similar scores, but my overall is 3.03 and science is 3.13 , i applied to 31 schols and not even an interview this year.

IMHO, there is nothing more important than GPA, especially sGPA! The DAT comes in as a very close second. The rest is all a very distant third. Get those grades up anyway you can. That's your #1 priority. Forget anything else until you get in the 3.3+ range for sGPA and 3.5+ for GPA.

If you absolutely insist on applying with your GPA as is and you are not a minority and have lots of money I'd do the shotgun approach(apply EVERYWHERE!) and include USC and Temple just to name a few. If you are an African American, Meharry and Howard are obvious choices.

Good luck.....get that nose in them books!!!

What if you are a minority? why does that matter?

Rmartinez, is that a serious comment?

i hope he is playing dumb by saying that, rather than actually meaning it

Relax, breathe, take a sip of ur starbux and look at the question I quoted in my post and am asking about...

So you see, I am serious in questioning what the person meant when they said:

1. you insist on applying with your low GPA
2. you aren't a minority
3. you have lots of cash
Conclusion: Take the shotgun approach

I'm just wondering why they had to put in the minority clause and how it would change his logic if #2 weren't true?

Relax, breathe, take a sip of ur starbux and look at the question I quoted in my post and am asking about...

So you see, I am serious in questioning what the person meant when they said:

1. you insist on applying with your low GPA
2. you aren't a minority
3. you have lots of cash
Conclusion: Take the shotgun approach

I'm just wondering why they had to put in the minority clause and how it would change his logic if #2 weren't true?

He means with lower stats, you have a very low chance of getting any acceptances. If you're applying with a minority status, you'd have a much better chance of getting an interview somewhere. By lots of cash, he means to apply broadly. To answer your question: 1+2+3= maybe a shot at interview. 1+ minority+applying to selected schools= maybe shot at interview. Make sense?

Hi,
I'm a junior in undergrad and my science GPA is a 2.8 while my cumulative GPA is a 3.45 Based on this info what schools should I apply to? Texas schools require a high science GPA so I'm wondering what out-of-state schools would be a better fit for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

A ds that has a predilection for lower stats is yet to open.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502682
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527700
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527690
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=580290

Last edited: