Low GPA. What should I do? Please help, I am very confused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlakeGriffinFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have already applied to medical school for the 2011 cycle and after more and more rejections, I am joining SDN for advice.

My GPA is at 3.25 and 3.126 Science GPA. I am in my last semester in college. I am a Microbiology Major. I am taking many classes right now: Genetics, Medical Mycology, Prokaryotic Biology, Seminar in the Practice of Medicine, and Plants and Society.

My GPA at the end of Sophomore Year was 2.89 and I had a 2.700 Science GPA then. I have worked very hard to bring it up while taking upper level Science Courses.

I took the MCAT last year and did much worse than I thought i would. I made a 27S (10B, 9V, 8P). I was expecting much better so I had already applied to med schools while improving my AMCAS GPA from 3.12 and 2.98 sGPA when I submitted in Spring 10 to where it is now.

I interviewed at one of my state schools in GA on November 2nd and haven't heard anything from them even after submitting my new grades that brought my grades up from 3.15 to 3.25. I haven't heard anything positive from any other schools.

I need advice on what I should do from here. I am currently looking into SMP's, and I am thinking of retaking MCAT in the Summer before that would start. What do people think? I'd appreciate any words of wisdom/feedback/advice from anyone. Thanks a lot

Also, I realize that DO and Caribbean are options out there, but as of now I am still hoping to get into a US MD School this year or the next before going through with those options. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I believe I have decent EC's so far. I have gone on an ISL Medical Service Trip to Costa Rica and Panama, Volunteered at Hospice for 2 years, Shadowed a Urologist in Winter, Volunteered at the Georgia Migrant Farmworkers Clinic in the Summer, Worked with UGA Heroes, which is a club that raises money and awareness for children with HIV/AIDS (3 years), Indian Cultural Exchange (4 years), mentored a troubled middle school child for 2 years, participated in an after school program with underprivileged children to give them a safe environment to play and learn, AMSA with AMSA Mentoring Program for 2 years, was nominated and accepted for Leadership UGA last Fall, and Research for 1 semester.

I also forgot with my grades that I have made consecutive Dean's List for the first two times in college with GPA of 3.65 over the past 1.5 years and 3.77 and 3.75 the last two semesters with 4.0 in summer semester in between, albeit with less classes.

Not trying to boast because I do not have much to boast about with my grades, but just trying to give information on myself to help people give me opinions.

Thanks again.

I don't think it's going to happen without an SMP. Focus on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've recently shown the capability to excel in coursework which will improve your chances of an SMP acceptance. I think this type of program would be your fastest route to becoming competitive for DO or US MD schools. Getting your MCAT higher while the material is relatively fresh is a good idea too, as a stronger score would eventually improve chances of an allopathic program wanting you.

Thank you two for your replies.

I am going to sign up for an MCAT Class today and finish a few SMP applications this week. I am thinking of Drexel, BU, UPenn, NYMC, and Creighton. Do you guys or anyone know if I have a chance of being accepted into any of these and if I do well, if you think I'll have a chance for next years cycle?