low gpa, where should i go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmaybe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be receiving my non-science degree with an undergrad gpa of 2.60 in the Fall. Yes, I realize that it is low and I have no excuse, I took college for granted in my earlier years. My gpa has shown an upward trend in the later half of my degree. I want to apply and try to get into medical school. So I’m planning on staying in school for another two years to get a degree in biological science and take my core classes required for med school. If all goes well, than my gpa should be pulled up to 3.00, but what should I do after that realistically? Or should I just apply to a post-bach program after I graduate? The reason I ask is I want to see everyone’s opinion on what seem to the best route to go? I’m not looking for the easiest route here; I’m just seeing what would be the best way to get into med school.

Am I Crazy? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

premedmaybe said:
I will be receiving my non-science degree with an undergrad gpa of 2.60 in the Fall. Yes, I realize that it is low and I have no excuse, I took college for granted in my earlier years. My gpa has shown an upward trend in the later half of my degree. I want to apply and try to get into medical school. So I’m planning on staying in school for another two years to get a degree in biological science and take my core classes required for med school. If all goes well, than my gpa should be pulled up to 3.00, but what should I do after that realistically? Or should I just apply to a post-bach program after I graduate? The reason I ask is I want to see everyone’s opinion on what seem to the best route to go? I’m not looking for the easiest route here; I’m just seeing what would be the best way to get into med school.

If I were you I'd RETAKE all my C's. If it's a hard class that you got a C in and don't feel like going through it again then I wouldn't. That's what I did. I also retook a couple of B's that I thought for sure I could get an A in. I suggest taking prerequisites along with retakes. Retaking is the fastest way to increase your GPA.

So by retaking a class that i made a C in before and got an A in now. This will average out to a B? Is this how it works? Is this just for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
premedmaybe said:
So by retaking a class that i made a C in before and got an A in now. This will average out to a B? Is this how it works? Is this just for DO schools?

Allopathic schools (via AMCAS) average, osteopathic schools (via AACOMAS) replace. The other thing to look at is to take some upper division sciences to show that you have "gotten over" your academic transgressions. Good luck!

medicalbound said:
Allopathic schools (via AMCAS) average, osteopathic schools (via AACOMAS) replace. The other thing to look at is to take some upper division sciences to show that you have "gotten over" your academic transgressions. Good luck!
This doesn't always work. I have a grad GPA thats 1.4 GPA points higher than my undergrad and it hasn't been enough. In the end, the docs want to see that number (and AMCAS averages an A and a C to two Bs) be 3.0+.

It's kind of like white blood cell count. A white count doesn't correlate to much (lots of things can raise it,) and isn't a great diagnostic test, but docs cannot listen to a case study or compute a diagnosis without one. That 3.0+ just has to be there before before they get their minds around your app.

premedmaybe said:

I found myself in the same position as you (after being in the workforce for a little while, mind you) and decided to do another degree, this time in science. If you do very well, including your prereqs, you may get some responses (I did), and some schools might just look at your last X number of years when calculating GPA (do they do that in the States too? I'm Canadian). Also, you have to impress with your MCAT.

I've heard of post-bacc programs in the US wherein if you do well, they automatically let you in to an associated med school afterwards, but I seem to recall hearing that you need a 3.0 to be accepted for the post-bacc programs (anyone?).

You're not crazy! You just discovered a little later than some what you wanted to do with your life. I would say, however, that if you find you don't like your science classes (or are really bad at them), you may want to keep in mind that med school is just more of that. However, though some may disagree (although non-trad is kinder than pre-allo), I believe you that your current GPA might not necessarily reflect your abilities. Mine didn't.

Best of luck!!!!

RxnMan said:
This doesn't always work. I have a grad GPA thats 1.4 GPA points higher than my undergrad and it hasn't been enough. In the end, the docs want to see that number (and AMCAS averages an A and a C to two Bs) be 3.0+.

I think Medicalbound was referring to doing post-bacc (upper division coursework) work which will add into their undergraduate GPA, and quite potentially boost the OP's GPA into the 3.0 range assuming they do well. A grad GPA is based on graduate coursework, not upper division coursework. As stated many times, grad GPA carries less weight than undergrad. Although both are good things, that is the truth.

I'm wrapping up my first year with my last 2 courses for my PhD program right now, and I have a cumulative GPA of 4.0. Looks cool yes, but to boost my lower undergrad GPA, our director of admissions for the med school has advised me to take undergrad upper division classes while working on my thesis over the next 2-3 years, as those will add to my undergrad GPA, rather than grad GPA in terms of AMCAS.

Based on discussions with other non-trads on these forums. I think PhD degrees also make up for the grad GPA factor too. Not many people may not be willing (or crazy) enough to do a PhD, so that definately catches the eyes of the adcoms. Lastly it may also depend on the courses you take. SMPs allow students to take medical school courses. So if one takes courses like that in their grad program, its kinda clear that this person will survive med school, or at least at the med school they took the courses from;).

In regards to the OP. First, ask yourself, "why are my grades that low". You provided us with a reason, however reasons aren't good until you actually prove to yourself that you can do well, and do well consistantly under full-time conditions. Once you're good to go with that, I'd look into post-bacc. Post-bacc will probably give you more yield as you can get a stronger foundation in science, and boost your undergraduate GPA. SMPs are good too, but I am hesitant on suggesting that to you due to not knowing your academic foundation. Plus SMPs are also very competative to get into. Therefore look for an official or unofficial post-bacc program. The latter is just taking classes from any school or school extension. However may cost a lot of money.

relentless11 said:
I think Medicalbound was referring to doing post-bacc (upper division coursework) work which will add into their undergraduate GPA, and quite potentially boost the OP's GPA into the 3.0 range assuming they do well. A grad GPA is based on graduate coursework, not upper division coursework. As stated many times, grad GPA carries less weight than undergrad. Although both are good things, that is the truth.

I'm wrapping up my first year with my last 2 courses for my PhD program right now, and I have a cumulative GPA of 4.0. Looks cool yes, but to boost my lower undergrad GPA, our director of admissions for the med school has advised me to take undergrad upper division classes while working on my thesis over the next 2-3 years, as those will add to my undergrad GPA, rather than grad GPA in terms of AMCAS.

Based on discussions with other non-trads on these forums. I think PhD degrees also make up for the grad GPA factor too. Not many people may not be willing (or crazy) enough to do a PhD, so that definately catches the eyes of the adcoms.
I did my masters for the express purpose to show ADCOMs that I can hack it in the classroom. It didn't work for me. My point is that it doesn't matter how long it's been since you earned your ugrad GPA, or if there were mitigating factors, or how good you are besides that number - grad GPA, MCAT, pubs, clinicals, community service, etc. - you cannot escape it.

What you're suggesting, and I have a hard time accepting, is that post-bacc stuff is better than a grad program. I read elsewhere that in AMCAS it adds both the post-bacc GPA number and the ugrad gpa number. Is this true? Isn't this double-dipping on numbers?

RxnMan said:
What you're suggesting, and I have a hard time accepting, is that post-bacc stuff is better than a grad program. I read elsewhere that in AMCAS it adds both the post-bacc GPA number and the ugrad gpa number. Is this true? Isn't this double-dipping on numbers?

Post-bacc adds into undergrad GPA, thats why so many people do post-bacc (in addition to being good career changers). AMCAS can also make the distintion between post-bacc and undergrad as well. It is not double-dipping numbers as some people who did a non-science degree and did poorly in that major then realized they should do post-bacc since they want to be pre-med. Turns out they are great a science......so should that rule that person out? Their overall undergrad GPA would be low due to their undergrad GPA. But their capacity to do well in pre-med courses as a post-bacc makes up for it. Just a quick example. I'm sure others can chime in onto this too.

Didn't your pre-med advisor tell you about the benefits/drawbacks of grad vs. post-bacc? I did post-bacc for 1.5 years but couldn't afford it, so went the PhD route.

relentless11 said:
Didn't your pre-med advisor tell you about the benefits/drawbacks of grad vs. post-bacc? I did post-bacc for 1.5 years but couldn't afford it, so went the PhD route.
Ha Ha Ha! U R so funny, relentless. Pre-med advisor! Who ever heard of one of those?

Seriously, I've never had one. My school had no such support for students, and so I've had to do everything on my own. I've never had a committee letter, and I've never had any class advising. Heck, my school didn't even offer bio classes when I was doing my prerequisites. Speaking of which, I took my bio classes outside of regular ugrad curriculum - they didn't count towards my degree, so shouldn't they be considered post-bacc? How do I designate them as such in AMCAS?

Low GPA ... many of us on SDN have been in this position. What you need to do? Depends on your goal but its a LONG haul. If you are right out of school (meaning you did all 4 years in row) you will need to extra prove yourself.

Some points:

:thumbdown:
- Sub-3.0 GPA

:thumbup:
- you had an upward trend in your GPA
- you still have time to make up for your mistakes

Have you done any activities working towards your degree? I got graduated with a 2.5ish GPA. I am now doing a second degree of about 100 credits in science classes mostly. My number #1 school requires a cum gpa of 3.0 in order to apply (its a state school). So with these classes as well as the fact that I have my MBA (these classes count for their purpose of cum GPA) I might be able to graduate with a 3.0 if I ace the next two years of classes. All A's. Some good points that have been mentioned are retaking any of your classes you didn't do well in. That is all good but if you aren't taking them at your home institution, sometimes it can be a pain to "prove" you retook classes (this is what I have heard - haven't gotten that far yet). Also, why try to redo the past. You need to show stellar grades. A post-bacc program would be a great idea for you.

Some post-baccs you can take just the prereqs, other let you take upper level classes. Some even let you take classes with med students and can be a mix of undergraduate and graduate level classes. If you go to the post-bacc forum and peruse over there, there is a lot of good information.

If you can't move due to family, etc, or your area doesn't have post-bacc programs, the 2nd major would work. That is what I'm doing and hopefully saving some money towards it. I am also going to be applying to a masters program that is in the medical school. I've heard good numbers of those who completed the 2yr program in biomedical science and then applied for medical school. Plus good letters of recommendation are ALWAYS neccessary as well as tons of experience to show that you are committed to this track.

It can be done but it will be a long path. I regret the path I have to take every day but honestly, I wasn't ready for this path 10 years ago. Now I am. Best of luck :luck: and feel free to ask any questions!

RxnMan said:
Ha Ha Ha! U R so funny, relentless. Pre-med advisor! Who ever heard of one of those?

Seriously, I've never had one. My school had no such support for students, and so I've had to do everything on my own. I've never had a committee letter, and I've never had any class advising. Heck, my school didn't even offer bio classes when I was doing my prerequisites. Speaking of which, I took my bio classes outside of regular ugrad curriculum - they didn't count towards my degree, so shouldn't they be considered post-bacc? How do I designate them as such in AMCAS?

uhhh what kind of college was this!?!

emgirl said:
uhhh what kind of college was this!?!
It was the Colorado School of Mines.

Excellent engineering preparation - I could walk on to any entry-level engineering job and do well, regardless of degree requirements.

Superb science staff
- They have experienced experts teaching in every scientific field (now that they have bio classes).

Academic rigor - General weekend evening activities include doing homework and going team meetings for group projects.

No grade inflation - My department chair was fond of telling us he wanted a B in his department to be worth an A up the road (at CU-Boulder). Great line for employers, bad for competing with other pre-meds.

Zero premed prep
- No academic advising, no staff support (experienced or otherwise)

I founded the premed society on campus because I had a heck of a time researching the process on my own, and I didn't want others to go through that. I repeatedly requested for academic/application advising through the campus Career Center (I also offered my contacts, my own MSAR, etc), but they have yet to do anything.

CSM: great school if you're going to be an engineer. Unless you change your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
premedmaybe said:

Hi there,
You have a couple of problems here. The first is your low GPA. Most good formal post baccs (Johns Hopkins) are going to want above 3.0 for acceptance. The other problem is that you are still pretty low for graduate programs like the Special Masters in Physiology (Georgetown) since you are under 3.0.

Staying and getting a second bachelors degree is an option for you and probably a very good one. Since you know that you are going to need to As in everything that you take and since you are mature enough to achieve this goal, I would say that this is a good option for you. You also need to do well on the MCAT exam once you are done with the pre-med courses that you have not taken.

If you had lower than a B in any of the pre-med courses, that you took prior, I would audit those classes to make sure that you have the knowledge so that you can do well on the MCAT. If your grade was at least a C, do not retake them. If below a C, then do the retake and get an A. (I am only speaking about the pre-med courses like General Physics, General Chem etc.)

Plot a long-term strategy to get what you want not. Plot out what you plan to do each year and each semester. Stick to your plan carefully. Make sure that you get some good clinical experience and make sure that you do some meaningful volunteer work. Put together a solid application and do not apologize for your previous academic shortcomings. They are behind your and you cannot change your past. You CAN change your future and you CAN change your thinking that will influence your future.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

I have a 2.77 right now and contacted some schools (in-state) that told me to take about 15-20 credits of science courses and they would essentially accept that as me being able to do science classes and handle med school. I have a 30 MCAT which they like fine, but I'm still retaking because I know I can do better. Taking 15 credits right now and I'm pulling A's in all of them, it's amazing what you can do once you have a goal and motivation! Oh I forgot to mention I'm taking these classes under a "Second Bacc" title, this is a lot better than taking post-bacc classes b/c with 2nd bacc you can get stafford loans, 5.5k subsidized, 10.5k total... this would be more than enough for a local state school

UMP said:
I have a 2.77 right now and contacted some schools (in-state) that told me to take about 15-20 credits of science courses and they would essentially accept that as me being able to do science classes and handle med school.

Yea if those are semester units, that would be correct. That would = about a year of course work as a full-time student. Give or take a few credits. The science courses would also have to be upper division as well. Not the good ole "GPA booster courses".

On my end, they recommended about 1-2 years of upper division science classes. Being full-time per semester/quarter is the optimum route since it shows you can handle the workload in addition to the subject. However for non-trads, some of us have to work, etc, so that may not be possible. So that is something to consider as well.

so, just apply to the school you want to take the pre-reqs under as if u are going for a second bachelor's? You're not going to get a second bachelor's right?

i'm not waiting to finish my second bacc, no... I picked Biochem, so I'll end up taking the classes for the major and degree anyways and if I have another BS at the end of it, I don't mind... but every prof I talked to so far already assumed that I'm only here for the short-term. And you are not required to take only classes within your major either. So second bacc = informal post-bacc + government loans + (maybe another degree). No brainer, I feel like

taking about 10 credits of upper-level classes and then some "filler" in non-science classes for 6-9 credits is what I'm doing. Boost my overall, and show that I can handle science classes with a full load...

njbmd said:
If you had lower than a B in any of the pre-med courses, that you took prior, I would audit those classes to make sure that you have the knowledge so that you can do well on the MCAT. If your grade was at least a C, do not retake them. If below a C, then do the retake and get an A. (I am only speaking about the pre-med courses like General Physics, General Chem etc.)

Why audit vs. retake? It costs the same (at my school) to audit as to take it for a grade. Why not take it for credit and demonstrate mastery of the subject and help the GPA out a little?

I'm going to complete my second degree in biological science in two years. Afterwards, I'll apply to some sort of one-year master's program and hopefully by then i'll be more competative to apply to med school.

So i'm three years or more from applying to med school. :D

ed2brute said:
Why audit vs. retake? It costs the same (at my school) to audit as to take it for a grade. Why not take it for credit and demonstrate mastery of the subject and help the GPA out a little?

For MD schools, retaking a class that you got a C or better has low yield. They won't be surprised that you did better the second time...since you took the class already. Taking new and more challenging courses has better yield.
If you have a D or below, yea retaking it is probably a good thing. (note: DO schools take the best grade)

One can sit in a class and audit it without paying. I don't think professors in large classes will notice, and I don't think why one needs to take a lab to prepare for the MCAT. Time is important, and taking new classes is worth a lot more (most of the time) than retaking old ones in terms of MD programs.

RxnMan said:
Speaking of which, I took my bio classes outside of regular ugrad curriculum - they didn't count towards my degree, so shouldn't they be considered post-bacc? How do I designate them as such in AMCAS?

Me, too. I took all of my bio classes, except first semester intro to bio, many, many years after I graduated from my undergrad school. And I took them as a walk-in student, rather than in a postbac program.

I listed them as undergraduate courses on AMCAS, but they reclassified them as postbac classes during the processing.

relentless11 said:
For MD schools, retaking a class that you got a C or better has low yield. They won't be surprised that you did better the second time...since you took the class already. Taking new and more challenging courses has better yield.
If you have a D or below, yea retaking it is probably a good thing. (note: DO schools take the best grade)

One can sit in a class and audit it without paying. I don't think professors in large classes will notice, and I don't think why one needs to take a lab to prepare for the MCAT. Time is important, and taking new classes is worth a lot more (most of the time) than retaking old ones in terms of MD programs.

Sure when they look at the class it won't look as good that you are repeating, but the A will still average in to the GPA just the same

Then why not get an A in a different class. So it boosts your GPA and looks better than merely repeating classes. I have never repeated any classes even with my sub-par GPA. My GPA improvement has solely been the result of doing well in coursework following my bachelors. I went from biochem degree to doing courework through our biomedical engineering program.

So I can state in my personal statement that I improved my GPA by taking courses through a rigorous program, or I can tell them (or not tell them) that my GPA improvement consisted of repeating courses that I got a C in. Eitherway they will see it. If in the shoes of the adcoms, which will look better?

Our director of admissions here has always told us to take a more advanced course when trying to make up for a less-than-perfect grade. For example, if you got a C in General Chem, you can make up for that by getting an A in PChem. This can also be reinforced by doing well on the MCAT.

UMP said:
I have a 2.77 right now and contacted some schools (in-state) that told me to take about 15-20 credits of science courses and they would essentially accept that as me being able to do science classes and handle med school.

UMP,
I see you graduated from UM (undergrad). Are you doing your classes there now? Which state schools did you talk to? UM is a pretty tough med school to get into. I'd be curious to hear the feedback that they gave you.

i'm taking classes at EMU, I can't afford UM classes right now, since I'm not working and have bad credit. I talked to Wayne and MSU-CHM and that's where the info came from... I have a long history with U of M, but they did not say anything specific like the other schools. They said what I was doing looked good, and they "look forward to reviewing my application when the appropriate time comes" or something to that effect... I know quite a few people at the med school, but we'll see. I have a feeling I won't have a real shot at UM until next year, so if Wayne takes me this year, I'll be happy to start. We'll see when the time comes

premedmaybe said:

welcome to my world
rock the mcat
rock the next two years
apply to a ton of schools
and pray

you can do it but it's not easy :thumbup:

murphomatic is my hero... 5 interviews is quite amazing with that GPA. Hopefully I'll be that good/lucky on my MCAT, which is very nice. I'm wondering if you contacted anyone and asked them why they rejected you w/o an interview? Did they think you couldn't handle med school :confused: :confused:

So... Did I understand correctly... that if you apply to a D.O school.. it will only take the highest grade of a repeated class when calculating your gpa?? Or did I read that wrong?

not exactly... they take your last attempt, so make sure your last is the best

so i know you have to report all grades... so they will see the trascript and teh bad grades before... but is it hte last attempt that is counted in your gpa.. and what will that look like...
i ask this because... i was stupid my freshmen sophmore year... didn't think about med school.. and now i really want to go... and if i can go back and retake some of those classes and it will help my gpa.. and such.. then you bet im going to do it...

CrystalLamae said:
so i know you have to report all grades... so they will see the trascript and teh bad grades before... but is it hte last attempt that is counted in your gpa.. and what will that look like...
i ask this because... i was stupid my freshmen sophmore year... didn't think about med school.. and now i really want to go... and if i can go back and retake some of those classes and it will help my gpa.. and such.. then you bet im going to do it...
It depends on where you apply. Osteopathic schools take the better of the grades in repeated courses and show a cumulative undergrad GPA, while allopathic schools average all grades ever earned at the undergraduate level, and report a separate GPA for new grades (post-bac) earned after your undergraduate degree has been conferred.

ok... so should i finish my bachelors and then retake the classes.. as a post bacc or just say im getting a 2nd bacc and take them then.. or should i hold off on getting the bacheolors and retake them now???

CrystalLamae said:
ok... so should i finish my bachelors and then retake the classes.. as a post bacc or just say im getting a 2nd bacc and take them then.. or should i hold off on getting the bacheolors and retake them now???

You needn't wait to obtain your bachelors degree. You could take the classes now or after and it wouldn't change things either way. I got my BS in IS/Business in 1998 and took all of my post-bacc classes (med school prereqs) between 2002 and 2005. The classes show as post-bacc classes (versus Fr, So, Sr, etc), but still counted toward my undergrad GPA. This is the case as long as you are not seeking a graduate level degree. AACOMAS replaced the grades of the classes I retook and AMCAS averaged them as expected. Best of luck to you!

CrystalLamae said:

Actually if grade improvement is your ultimate goal. Take them now before getting your bachelors. Prolong your current program to take more classes. Why?

1) Prolly cheaper in your current program than paying for a traditional post-bacc program.

2) Already in school so don't have to apply to another program (2nd bachelors or post-bacc).

3) Since currently in a degree earning program you continue to be eligible for financial aid. You dont' get financial aid in post-bacc programs.

Other than those reasons, you can retake them whenever you want. Its just a matter of whats cheapest, and most efficient for you.

I'm in the same situation. I didn't do so well in my first undergrad degree (business management) and will be doing a second degree this fall (psychology). I am contemplating whether I want any of my credits transferred over to my new degree as I wanted to retake some classes. However, I was reading up on some Canadian med schools and supposedly they don't accept retakes so even if I retake a course, they will not look at it. What's worse is that if I took 5 courses that term, they will take it as I only did 4 courses since the retake doesn't count. Since they take the last x # of years where I did a full course load, it actually seems ot work to my disadvantage. I'm just wondering if I'm reading right b/c on this forum there are many people retaking courses to boost GPA. Thanks.

My university averages the retakes for one grade......so even if I did too bad getting an A doesn't always help...Nothing is a lost cause though just gotta try..the best option..hell if I know. It is actually cheaper for me to do a postbacc program than to stay as an out of state student (30k a year)...I could just get instate tuition for a school close to my house and although it is living with my parents it saves a lot of money..

I went to see the dean of the adcom and he suggested that I finish my undergrad as quickly as possible, then work on my pre-reqs. Even do some retakes if needed. He said that though these grades are averaged into the undergrad grades, they also have a separate gpa notes as post-bacc which look better than being averaged all in with a bunch of bad grades. I hope that this doesn't sound confusing. Anyway, since he is the dean, I will take his word for it.

tristansmommy said:
I'm in the same situation. I didn't do so well in my first undergrad degree (business management) and will be doing a second degree this fall (psychology). I am contemplating whether I want any of my credits transferred over to my new degree as I wanted to retake some classes. However, I was reading up on some Canadian med schools and supposedly they don't accept retakes so even if I retake a course, they will not look at it. What's worse is that if I took 5 courses that term, they will take it as I only did 4 courses since the retake doesn't count. Since they take the last x # of years where I did a full course load, it actually seems ot work to my disadvantage. I'm just wondering if I'm reading right b/c on this forum there are many people retaking courses to boost GPA. Thanks.

I don't know anything about Canadian schools, but for all US allopathic schools that use the AMCAS (most of them), all courses count and retakes are averaged. Also, you must report all transcripts to AMCAS even if the course did not count toward your degree, or the classes were withdrawn, etc. The instructions state plainly that even if your university grants "forgiveness", the AMCAS does not and all courses taken in higher education must be reported. Of course there are noted exceptions, but they are few and far between and very specific. I hope I did not misunderstand your statement - in either case, best of luck to you in your endeavors.

UMP said:
So second bacc = informal post-bacc + government loans + (maybe another degree). No brainer, I feel like

This is exactly what I'm doing (I'm a "fake" chem major). . .I don't have much left in the way of undergrad student aid, so I'm milking it for as much as I can.

r0b0tafflicti0n said:
This is exactly what I'm doing (I'm a "fake" chem major). . .I don't have much left in the way of undergrad student aid, so I'm milking it for as much as I can.

fake Chem major here too ;) :D

You can do a masters in biomedical sciences and/or and MPH. Some programs have understandings with their students that if they do well enough (i.e., a B average or higher) that they will be admitted into the medical school the following year. Post-bac programs are not all going to require the 3.0 to get in. I did mine at CCNY in New York City (although I had a 3.5 UG and 3.4 law school GPA- they never asked specifically to be admitted).