Low GPA with alot of shadowing hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redsox3737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to apply in the upcoming cycle and I have a GPA of 3.35 but I also have over 1000 hours in a dental office. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting ready to apply in the upcoming cycle and I havea GPA of 3.35 but I also have over 1000 hours in a dental office. What are my chances?
below average chance based on the above info only

Spill it all out! Any DAT scores? If not, when are you taking it? Do you have an estimated science GPA? Define 'getting ready to apply'. Is your stuff ready to roll (letters, statement) or are you a few months out from submitting? State residence? Skin? Gender? Religious preference?

Okay, maybe not the last few things. But there's not anything majorly wrong with a 3.35 and a load of hours in a dental office. Share some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking the DAT June 18 and I have everything else ready to go! I have strong letters of recommendation and what I feel is a strong personal statement. The reason my GPA is low is due to not being focused my freshman year while playing baseball.. I had low grades in classes like English, history, and other generals. I haven't calculated my science GPA yet but I would assume it is above a 3.5.. My past 4 semesters I have not had a GPA lower than a 3.6 with A's in biology, physiology, anatomy, gen chem and a B+ in Ochem.. I have really matured a lot and stepped it up but my freshman year is killing my GPA

I will be taking the DAT June 18 and I have everything else ready to go! I have strong letters of recommendation and what I feel is a strong personal statement. The reason my GPA is low is due to not being focused my freshman year while playing baseball.. I had low grades in classes like English, history, and other generals. I haven't calculated my science GPA yet but I would assume it is above a 3.5.. My past 4 semesters I have not had a GPA lower than a 3.6 with A's in biology, physiology, anatomy, gen chem and a B+ in Ochem.. I have really matured a lot and stepped it up but my freshman year is killing my GPA

Assuming your DAT goes well, you sound like a strong candidate to me. Just be smart on which schools you apply to.

try to nail the DAT! Your chances depend on what you get. Try to get a 20.

You would have been better off spending 800 hours studying instead of spending it in a dental office.

Last edited:
I am getting ready to apply in the upcoming cycle and I have a GPA of 3.35 but I also have over 1000 hours in a dental office. What are my chances?
depends on DAT and science-GPA

Did you really watch a dentist for 1k hours? Or was it a paid position/assisting/something?

Apply early, do well on the DAT 20+ and you should be fine. Dental schools appreciate upward trends so freshman year may be holding your gpa back but if you talk ab maturity in your personal statement, and the rest of your grades show an increasing trend...it should not hold you back!

I got in this year with a 3.3 gpa 3.15sgpa....I did take an extra 1.5 years of courses with a 4.0, but that barely raised my gpa haha its not impossible! I also had 4 interview offers.