Low GPA with hope of dental school, would appreciate help with planning/suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilyYur920

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior studying bioengineering. Had a rough freshman year. Received a D in gen chem II and retook it the summer after (received an A at a cheaper institution). I'm planning on studying for/taking the DAT in the summer of this year and then applying after my senior year. I have an extremely low science GPA. By the time I plan on applying, I expect it'll come out around a 2.91 at best. Worst case scenario it'll be down to a 2.85. My cumulative is somewhat better where best case scenario it'll come out at a 3.44, worst case scenario 3.40. I've had an upward trend in my semester grades since my freshman year if that's important at all.

Some background: I'm involved in undergrad research (~2 years) and published in one paper, several clubs (2 of which I hold exec positions), took part in an engineering internship last summer, and ~70 hours of volunteer work (currently). I had set plans with a dentist to shadow over the summer after my sophomore year after coming back from studying abroad but then corona hit and that was called off. I'm hoping to try again this upcoming summer. I have had previous shadowing experiences before college (hence my interest) but I didn't think anything before college was worth mentioning in an application.

I'm wondering if I should even bother applying my senior year or just apply straight to a post bacc/masters. I know that a DAT score would help decide that so I was wondering if even a higher than average DAT would give me a chance. I'm wavering back and forth between a post bacc and masters. Post bacc sounds ideal for my situation except I've read in many forums that it tends to be a high risk option. I've seen a couple lists of post-bacc options but I did notice that some programs are geared specifically towards those that did not have a science background/have the pre-dent pre-reqs. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on programs pointed towards someone of my background? And if I go the masters route, my assumption is that a science-based degree would be the most beneficial but would appreciate some backup on that assumption.

I'm also concerned about timelines as I read that the DAT score is only good for 2 years. When should I apply for a post/bacc or masters? Do people do this simultaneously when applying for dental school in case they don't get in? Or is that something you do after you hear back?

Would appreciate any and all opinions/feedback/suggestions thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly suggest applying to dental school first. Your sGPA is relatively low but not at a point where you would be automatically denied by most schools. Your oGPA is average/decent enough to be considered.

The uphill trend in GPA is good although overall and sGPA is what’s ultimately considered. Explaining any hardships you experienced during freshman year and describing how you overcame those obstacles/addressed those weaknesses to become a better student will help.

If you can score 22+ on the DAT I think you’d have a decent chance of getting in if you applied broadly/strategically.

also I’d recommend increasing your service hours. Aim for 150+ to make yourself more attractive to schools who value community service.

Do this and have a refined app everywhere else (supplementals, PS, LOR etc) and I think you can def get a few interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I would highly suggest applying to dental school first. Your sGPA is relatively low but not at a point where you would be automatically denied by most schools. Your oGPA is average/decent enough to be considered.

The uphill trend in GPA is good although overall and sGPA is what’s ultimately considered. Explaining any hardships you experienced during freshman year and describing how you overcame those obstacles/addressed those weaknesses to become a better student will help.

If you can score 22+ on the DAT I think you’d have a decent chance of getting in if you applied broadly/strategically.

also I’d recommend increasing your service hours. Aim for 150+ to make yourself more attractive to schools who value community service.

Do this and have a refined app everywhere else (supplementals, PS, LOR etc) and I think you can def get a few interviews.
Thank you I appreciate your feedback very much! I had planned on having more volunteer hours however my usual volunteer oppurtunity was in the ER at a local hospital and I just didn't feel comfortable volunteering there after corona and I had a very hard time finding volunteer opportunities abroad as a visa student. So I had about a year long gap in volunteering which set me back a little. I'm hoping to make up for it this semester and over the summer. I'm hoping to go back to volunteering in the hospital next year if things are looking up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment without knowing what classes you have taken that count to your BCP GPA, which would exclude many of your engineering courses. How many true upper level biomedical classes have you taken, like microbiology or genetics?

I can't comment without knowing what classes you have taken that count to your BCP GPA, which would exclude many of your engineering courses. How many true upper level biomedical classes have you taken, like microbiology or genetics?
I've taken both gen chems, both gen bios, both physics, orgo I, and biochemistry. I am currently taking orgo II and cell structure. And I plan on taking intro to genetics next year. I got a mix of Cs/Bs/As in my basic intro science classes but have been able to keep my upper level stuff at the A/B range so far.