Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay2312

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I need some advice. I just graduated undergrad this past Spring and unsure if I should apply during the 2021 cycle or do a postbac. I’m currently studying for the MCAT and hoping to take it beginning of 2021 depending on my practice exam scores.

I struggled through undergrad, but was able to find myself and turn my life around. I ended up finishing my spring term of junior year and my senior year with a 3.72 GPA (54 credits) of Gen Chem II Gen Bio II, Physics, Ochem, Biochem, Genetics and Calculus which are almost all my pre-reqs. I did get a D+ on both Gen Chem I and Gen Bio I, beginning of my junior year which I retook I also got a C- and 2 B- on 12 credits of Math during my Freshman and Sophomore year. My current GPA is 3.23 cGPA and 3.37 sGPA. I’m Hispanic, 1st generation, Oregon resident and in the LGBTQ community. I have around ~6000 hrs of medical experience as a CMA, ~200 hrs of research, ~100 hrs of volunteering and ~60 hrs of shadowing. I’m currently volunteering and trying to get more shadowing hrs.

What do you guys think, should I focus on my MCAT and apply next cycle (2021) or do a DIY post-bac at my local university or cc to increase my science GPA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

A DIY post bacc at a local college to increase your sGPA and cGPA is a good idea.

Thank you so much for the quick response. Would you say taking around a full year of post bacc, 30-45 credits be enough? I also wanted to know if I end up focusing on the MCAT and not doing the post bacc what MCAT should I aim for to have a chance for an acceptance to any MD/DO school?

Thank you once again I greatly appreciated!

A 500 MCAT is adequate for some DO schools and 505 for most DO schools. If you score over 507 you could receive interviews at some MD schools. Do not overload yourself with too many courses since you need to study for the MCAT also. 30 credits should be enough.