low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

stinky

I notice alot of posts here bout people with low GPA's trying to get in. Well, just to give you all a little hope- I had a 2.7 GPA as an undergrad and after several years of hard work have managed to get into my first choice med school

Members don't see this ad.

whoa. nice.

the j-rod

Congrats on ur acceptance!!!!:clap:
and thanks for the inspiration too.

i have to add though that while gpa counts a lot in the application process, other factors are also considered, mcats, EC's, research, blah blah blah, i am pretty sure u know the drill :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations and your are my inspiration. What did you do exactly when you said "hard work". Please give me some of your knowledge!!!! I have a low GPA and need some guidance.
Thanks and Congrats again

after graduating with an english degree I returned to college as a postbac taking the necessary science classes... i had about a 3.6 science GPA and got a 31 on the MCAT along with some excellent EC's both here and abroad... hope that helps- if you want more info, just ask

Originally posted by stinky
after graduating with an english degree I returned to college as a postbac taking the necessary science classes... i had about a 3.6 science GPA and got a 31 on the MCAT along with some excellent EC's both here and abroad... hope that helps- if you want more info, just ask

Great job! The post-bac helped you tons and completely over-shadows your previous 2.7 GPA. :) This really demonstrates dedication and perservance.

Where did you end up for medical school?

Congratulations on your success. You have an inspirational story, however I don't want the other premeds on here getting the wrong impression (so here comes the tough love). Here's my disclaimer: I haven't read all the posts on here so you may have gone into more detail later...

It would be very useful for you to let the other people on here know what you mean by "after several years of hard work". I'm guessing you got either an advanced degree, or worked your ass off at a postbac.

I think that the take home message from applicants should be that if you're willing to do whatever it takes (i.e. postbac, advanced degree, tons of EC's) you will eventually get into A medical school (but not necessarily your top choice).

Good luck everyone and take it one day at a time. It works better that way :)

It wouldn't be SDN if you didn't have at least ONE DISCOURAGER in the thread.

Move on....LOSER

CONGRATS FOR YOUR HARD WORK PAYING OFF!!!!!

Originally posted by LoveDoc
It wouldn't be SDN if you didn't have at least ONE DISCOURAGER in the thread.

Move on....LOSER

CONGRATS FOR YOUR HARD WORK PAYING OFF!!!!!

why is this warranted? ucla2000, even if he is a "loser" at a top 5 med school, made a very salient point

its not discouragement. its called "reality", look into it :rolleyes:

anyways, congrats stinky :D

Thanks for the info stinky! And Congrats to you

Originally posted by UCLA2000
Congratulations on your success. You have an inspirational story, however I don't want the other premeds on here getting the wrong impression (so here comes the tough love). Here's my disclaimer: I haven't read all the posts on here so you may have gone into more detail later...

It would be very useful for you to let the other people on here know what you mean by "after several years of hard work". I'm guessing you got either an advanced degree, or worked your ass off at a postbac.

I think that the take home message from applicants should be that if you're willing to do whatever it takes (i.e. postbac, advanced degree, tons of EC's) you will eventually get into A medical school (but not necessarily your top choice).

Good luck everyone and take it one day at a time. It works better that way :)

GREAT POINT..

Stating more info would be more informational b/c "several years" may be 5 yrs or 50 yrs.

wow just noticed ophtho is a moderator now! in only a month. wow :)

Members don't see this ad :)
LoveDoc-
UCLA wasn't trying to discourage people- he was simply stating the truth. don't be a dik, azzmunch.
peter

and-
it seems that everyone else agrees with what he said over what you said... so, read the entire post before you start to flame.
p

per UCLA2000's request I will leave a bit more info...
As you all know, I graduated with an English degree with a 2.7 GPA in '98. i then went to school as a postbacc and took all of the science pre-recs while working a couple jobs- I had about a 3.6 GPA as a postbac. then i moved abroad for a year where I taught english and volunteered in a couple hospitals. I came back and took the MCAT this past April 11,10,10 M (M-kinda funny for an English major huh?) and I've been working as a tech in a hospital for about 1 year. so far i've been accepted to UIC and SLU (yes, when i said first choice I wasn't talking Harvard). No research, pretty good lor's...hope this helps

Hey the way I see it any medical school is great. Yes if you get into and IVY school that's wonderful. But any medical school is just as good. As long as in the end you get what you want. You become a physician. So stinky Congrats again!!!!

As you all know, I graduated with an English degree with a 2.7 GPA in '98. i then went to school as a postbacc and took all of the science pre-recs while working a couple jobs- I had about a 3.6 GPA as a postbac. then i moved abroad for a year where I taught english and volunteered in a couple hospitals. I came back and took the MCAT this past April 11,10,10 M (M-kinda funny for an English major huh?) and I've been working as a tech in a hospital for about 1 year. so far i've been accepted to UIC and SLU (yes, when i said first choice I wasn't talking Harvard). No research, pretty good lor's...hope this helps

This is awesome, and your diverse medical experiences are truly above and beyond. It's clear to me why you're a hot commodity.

Great job and congrats! I hope you take a long vacation before med school.

Congrats.. :clap:

Originally posted by dph201
Hey the way I see it any medical school is great. Yes if you get into and IVY school that's wonderful. But any medical school is just as good. As long as in the end you get what you want. You become a physician. So stinky Congrats again!!!!

Lets use "a Top Med School" for "Ivy school" since there are many other schools that are better than some Ivy Meds.

Sorry Fly!!! You are right "Top Med School"is better.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!:clap: :clap:

Grats. I wish more people would do what you did.

3 LOSERS/1 POST

+pissed+

5 LOSERS/1 POST

+pissed+

Originally posted by DW
again, lovedoc, what on god's earth IS your point?

I'm going to go ahead and go with DW on this one...

I have to say your story is quite inspirational. It really does go to show that if becoming an MD is your dream, you can attain that, as long as you're willing to put in the fight for it.

Although my GPA isn't THAT low, it's still slightly below your average matriculant (due to a horrribbblllee freshman year followed by a transfer), it's good to see people sticking with it and doing what they can to get there!

Thanks for sharing.

:)

Originally posted by LoveDoc
5 LOSERS/1 POST

+pissed+

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I laughed out loud at this one, so Love doc don't worry some of us are smart enough to have "gotten it " the first time.

Shanika Shakwan and Sweat tea agree on something...wow what a coincidence!

Back to the topic, congradulations to Stinky!!!:clap: :clap:

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Shanika Shakwan and Sweat tea agree on something...wow what a coincidence!

Back to the topic, congradulations to Stinky!!!:clap: :clap:

You forgot RA. He also agrees with me and SS/DW :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ayhow I think we can ALL agree that congrats to Stinky are in order. And that's really more important than bickering. So yay for Stinky!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Someone gots to tell LoveDoc that there's enough douchebags on here without his thoughtful insults. Get the F out. Anyways...congrats to Stinky, you gave me some much needed hope

holla

those pesky douchebags :laugh:

Stinky--first of all, congrats! :)
I was wondering whether your 2.7 GPA was a science gpa, or had you not taken any science courses yet, during undergrad? The reason why I'm asking if because that is approximately my science gpa and I am trying to figure out my best options for improvement (post-bac, etc) .

100% female

LOSER #6