Low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam74

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im international graduate dentist, I have 7 yeas experience back home and 8 months as dental assistant in the United States, I scored 90 in the NBDE ! , and 97 in TOEFL, But I have a serious problem which my GPA is 1.68.

I posted this because I want to know what I have do, there is nothing I can do to correct my GPA.

Any advices? Is there any hope to get accepted? Is it worth to apply?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Im international graduate dentist, I have 7 yeas experience back home and 8 months as dental assistant in the United States, I scored 90 in the NBDE ! , and 97 in TOEFL, But I have a serious problem which my GPA is 1.68.

I posted this because I want to know what I have do, there is nothing I can do to correct my GPA.

Any advices? Is there any hope to get accepted? Is it worth to apply?

Thanks in advance

Hi Sam,
I am a dentist in a situation similar to yours. Let me tell you about the bad part first; GPA definitely plays a big role in the application process and with the new CAAPID process, almost every school wants to see the ECE evaluation which is very bad for people like us.
But the good part is, your NBDE score is good since it has touched the 90's. You definitely have a strong point. As far as correcing the GPA, they generally ask if you have any additional degree (masters) from United States. A good Gpa from the course does not substitute for the previous one, but probably/may reduce its negative effect.
Just my two cents, because I know how painful it is.

The dilemma of GPA...

It is tough to compete with people who comes from schools with GPAs around 3.9 and 4.0

But you know what, at the end the school should realize that applicants are international and GPA can be variable.