suhshi

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Dentist
Can anybody input what they've heard of students with REALLY low GPAs and class rankings and being accepted into residency or specialty programs?

Also, today I heard that individuals that have gone through a GPR and applied for a specialty almost always got accepted into the program.

Any thoughts on this??
Thank you!!

ubdental

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Dentist
How low is REALLY low?
Right! give people an idea of what your GPA is, and what specialty you're interested in?
I've seen someone in the bottom 1/3 of a class got into Ortho, but his father was an ortho faculty in that program.

OP
suhshi

suhshi

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Dentist
im talking about sub 3.0s, and bottom of the class rankings.....

in terms of the residencies, AEGD or GPRs???

Would extracurriculars, outstanding personal statement, and stellar letters of rec make up for anything?????

sleeplessinsf

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Status
Dentist

Would extracurriculars, outstanding personal statement, and stellar letters of rec make up for anything?????
sure it's possible for AEGD and GPR, especially the less competitive ones (i.e. non-VA). I think Lutheran has many AEGD post-match spots they are dying to fill. Also, I personally know someone w/ bottom of the class rankings got into a good perio program with tons of extra activities and letters in dental school. good luck.

ubdental

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Dentist

Yes, all of the above would help. How about board scores? Decend scores can defend you!!
I don't mean to talk down on GPR and AEGD. I did a GPR myself, and it seemed like those programs would welcome anyone who passed dental school. Don't worry about it friend!!

TJNova2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Dentist
sure it's possible for AEGD and GPR, especially the less competitive ones (i.e. non-VA). I think Lutheran has many AEGD post-match spots they are dying to fill. Also, I personally know someone w/ bottom of the class rankings got into a good perio program with tons of extra activities and letters in dental school. good luck.
A lot of gpr/aegd just need a body there to produce. Many of LMC are community clinics where you take their online courses. Why not just go into a community clinic make 2-2.5x salary....