General Admissions & OTCAS Low Gre Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTHopeful005

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I took the GRE back in November and received a Q:143, V:143, and 3.0 Writing score :( Since then, I haven't had much time studying to retake it due to school, work, and family obligations. I plan on applying to programs through OTCAS in July, and I just don't think it's worth the time and money to take it again. I'm confident in all of the other parts of my application (GPA, LOR's, Personal statement, etc.), except these low GRE scores, which is very frustrating because I feel like they're preventing me from getting accepted anywhere.

Should I just apply to programs that don't take the GRE? I know some of the programs I'm looking at require a minimum score in each section, so I would be rejected automatically from those ones, while other programs don't require a minimum score. If anyone has any advice, or has been in a similar situation I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say since you have until July when the cycle opens, You could dedicate spare time to study to retake and use a plan based on the time frame (books, magoosh, etc.) and retake....if your score doesn't improve enough simply apply to schools that don't require gre and if they do they do improve then you have that much more of a chance. You have sixish weeks, you can do it! I studied a ton for just a few weeks!

I was in a similar spot. I scored a V:160 and a Q:144 (145 is where you want to be at minimum). I have never been filled with so much rage in my life as I never thought I would score a 160 on verbal. If I'm going to fail just let me fail all the way, don't tease me with a good score on one section. Anyway, I applied to only schools that didn't require the GRE. It definitely does give you less options but if you're confident with the other parts of your application I don't see the big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say since you have until July when the cycle opens, You could dedicate spare time to study to retake and use a plan based on the time frame (books, magoosh, etc.) and retake....if your score doesn't improve enough simply apply to schools that don't require gre and if they do they do improve then you have that much more of a chance. You have sixish weeks, you can do it! I studied a ton for just a few weeks!
Thanks! I definitely think I could study a whole lot until then, but I just hope it's worth it haha

If it were me, I'd gamble and apply without retaking it if you don't have time. It's so expensive. I didn't study for the GRE (I honestly didn't care). My verbal was average, my quantitative was much like yours, and my writing was in the top percentile. I got into the two schools I applied to. If a school doesn't have minimum scores, I'd say shoot for those. They may look at your application holistically, and your LORs and statement may get you in the door. Everyone's applications will have shortcomings, just make sure you're strong somewhere. But of course, if you have time and the money, retake it. But only if you're confident you'll improve. No point in wasting money.

Reactions: 1 user
If it were me, I'd gamble and apply without retaking it if you don't have time. It's so expensive. I didn't study for the GRE (I honestly didn't care). My verbal was average, my quantitative was much like yours, and my writing was in the top percentile. I got into the two schools I applied to. If a school doesn't have minimum scores, I'd say shoot for those. They may look at your application holistically, and your LORs and statement may get you in the door. Everyone's applications will have shortcomings, just make sure you're strong somewhere. But of course, if you have time and the money, retake it. But only if you're confident you'll improve. No point in wasting money.
Everything you said is exactly how I am looking at it as a whole. I agree that it isn't worth stressing/spending money over. This is my first time applying, and I'm honestly just trying to get accepted anywhere first try. Thanks for your insight!

Reactions: 1 users
My GRE was very mixed as well, though I didn't have time to study at all beforehand and I just filled out completely random things on the math portion since I am learning disabled in math. I probably did better just by guessing than trying to actually work out the problems, lol. But my stats were V157 Q145 AWA 4.0, if that helps. Could I have taken the time to study up, retake it, and get a better score? Of course. But it's crazy expensive and there are schools who won't care about that. I got into a program anyways, so it's a gamble that paid off.

If the rest of your stats are strong, I highly advise only applying to schools that don't require the GRE. There are plenty of them out there so don't be discouraged!

My GRE was very mixed as well, though I didn't have time to study at all beforehand and I just filled out completely random things on the math portion since I am learning disabled in math. I probably did better just by guessing than trying to actually work out the problems, lol. But my stats were V157 Q145 AWA 4.0, if that helps. Could I have taken the time to study up, retake it, and get a better score? Of course. But it's crazy expensive and there are schools who won't care about that. I got into a program anyways, so it's a gamble that paid off.

If the rest of your stats are strong, I highly advise only applying to schools that don't require the GRE. There are plenty of them out there so don't be discouraged!
Thank you for the response! I will certainly do that! So far I've found 3 programs that don't require it haha

May I ask what programs you applied to and where you ended up?!