Low lab grade but high lecture grade, should I still ask for LoR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwanttopulloutteeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a low lab grade and the professor would note this in the letter since it was a combined lab/lecture course. The lecture portion I did really well in though and he would also note that. Overall I believe I ended up with a high B. But is it worth it to ask for the LoR? I don't have a LoR from a professor yet but I have 4 pre-reqs left (4 more chances to ask professors for letters, I guess?)

Members don't see this ad.

Keep that option open! I would focus on getting A's on those classes and meet with your professors and get to know them as the semester goes on during their office hours almost every week. Show them you are not only engaged in the course, but also so they can get to know you outside of the classroom. After a few visits to their office hours (I usually waited til after the first exam) just bring up the LOR and how if it wouldn't be any trouble to them, you want to know if they would be willing to write you one. Also, if they accept (they almost always do) have your PS and resume handy as well as like a list of stuff about you they can incorporate in the letter. I was asked by a professor who wrote me one to just give him just list of stuff about me/that we had talked about that he could include in the letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep that option open! I would focus on getting A's on those classes and meet with your professors and get to know them as the semester goes on during their office hours almost every week. Show them you are not only engaged in the course, but also so they can get to know you outside of the classroom. After a few visits to their office hours (I usually waited til after the first exam) just bring up the LOR and how if it wouldn't be any trouble to them, you want to know if they would be willing to write you one. Also, if they accept (they almost always do) have your PS and resume handy as well as like a list of stuff about you they can incorporate in the letter. I was asked by a professor who wrote me one to just give him just list of stuff about me/that we had talked about that he could include in the letter.

So since I won't have any future courses with him, should I just get the LoR now just to be on the safe side while his memory of me is still fresh?

Members don't see this ad :)
So since I won't have any future courses with him, should I just get the LoR now just to be on the safe side while his memory of me is still fresh?
Try to keep in touch with him, find out if he's staying in the same office. And pop in whenever you get the chance. Always introduce yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
You want the letter of rec to come from a person who really knows you. I have had people who have gotten C's and B's in classes and their prof agreed to write a strong LOR. The prof HAS to know you really well though. Getting A's is one thing but unless you want a generic letter, get to know him/her.

You want the letter of rec to come from a person who really knows you. I have had people who have gotten C's and B's in classes and their prof agreed to write a strong LOR. The prof HAS to know you really well though. Getting A's is one thing but unless you want a generic letter, get to know him/her.

True. I will really push to get to know my professors more during my other pre-requisite courses so I can try to get a really strong letter. I did ask this professor to continue with the letter just so I wouldn't be playing it too risky.

Thanks everyone

When are you applying? If you aren't applying for 3 more years, that letter will be out of date for example.