Low Lab Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsperson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I got a C in my orgo lab. This is definitely my "one bad semester." My grades are strong otherwise, and I'll probably still have around a 3.8 at the time of application (mostly A's, a few B/B+'s). Assuming that other aspects of my application are in place, will an abberant C in lab affect me at "top-ten" schools? Is it true that labs are considered not as important as other classes grade-wise because of how they work (e.g. grade contingent upon highly variable experiment results)?

Members don't see this ad.

hsperson said:
Hi everyone. So I got a C in my orgo lab. This is definitely my "one bad semester." My grades are strong otherwise, and I'll probably still have around a 3.8 at the time of application (mostly A's, a few B/B+'s). Assuming that other aspects of my application are in place, will an abberant C in lab affect me at "top-ten" schools? Is it true that labs are considered not as important as other classes grade-wise because of how they work (e.g. grade contingent upon highly variable experiment results)?

At this point, I'd say your chances at top 10 schools are pretty slim. You can't undo the damage from something like that.

hsperson said:

You are fine. Although a 3.8 won't secure admission to a top ten school (or any school), neither will a 4.0. But if you feel that everything else is in place statistically, the C in orgo lab won't stop you from getting interviews at the schools of your choice.

Stats get you the interview, but personality and humility gain acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
bugmenot said:
At this point, I'd say your chances at top 10 schools are pretty slim. You can't undo the damage from something like that.

What the heck are you talking about budmenot?

With a 3.8 you should be fine...depends on your MCAT and EC's...

ProReduction said:
You are fine. Although a 3.8 won't secure admission to a top ten school (or any school), neither will a 4.0. But if you feel that everything else is in place statistically, the C in orgo lab won't stop you from getting interviews at the schools of your choice.

Stats get you the interview, but personality and humility gain acceptance.

Fogive me, but you have that totally wrong. I have very good stats, and got several interviews as a result. My interviews were all wonderful, and I was even told by one interviewer that I was the best candidate she ever interviewed, and I got waitlisted everywhere. Sorry friend, but there are way too many factors, variables, and humans involved in the process to say what ultimately gets a person in.

hsperson said:

One C won't hurt you, especially if it's only the lab course and you did well in the lecture class.

I feel bad for people who's grade in lab courses is based off of the results to the experiments. When I took ochem lab, as long as we explained the error no points were taken off for less than perfect results. During one synthesis lab in particular, I managed a stellar 0.5% yield, yet still got an A on the repot since I explained what happened.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Doglover4fever said:
Fogive me, but you have that totally wrong. I have very good stats, and got several interviews as a result. My interviews were all wonderful, and I was even told by one interviewer that I was the best candidate she ever interviewed, and I got waitlisted everywhere. Sorry friend, but there are way too many factors, variables, and humans involved in the process to say what ultimately gets a person in.

??? I blew my first interview, made some changes, and got into every school I interviewed after that first failure. If you were the best candidate they ever interviewed, then you would have gained an acceptance. That simple. If you were the best ever, you would automatically be better then everyone that given year and would've been given a spot. There are a lot of variables, but the only human one is the interview. The interview gets you in. It is the last step. Modify your interview style and I promise you will gain an accepatance.

Hi everyone. I may be getting a C+ in O-chem II as well as a C in the lab. This REALLY is my "one bad semester." I'm still trying to figure out how I've managed to do so well before and why I broke down this semester. It was definitely my hardest as far as course load.

Anyway, assuming that this type of breakdown doesn't happen again next year, I will still have a good GPA which, now, will probably be around a 3.75 at the time of application. Assuming that other components of my application are in place, will this be a severe detriment when applying to "top ten" med schools?

Is redemption necessary if my academic record is good otherwise? If so how can I redeem myself? I plan on taking biochem next year. If I do well, will it help? (On a sidenote, will taking biochem help much with the MCAT?)

Thanks.

hsperson said:
Hi everyone. I may be getting a C+ in O-chem II as well as a C in the lab. This REALLY is my "one bad semester." I'm still trying to figure out how I've managed to do so well before and why I broke down this semester. It was definitely my hardest as far as course load.

Anyway, assuming that this type of breakdown doesn't happen again next year, I will still have a good GPA which, now, will probably be around a 3.75 at the time of application. Assuming that other components of my application are in place, will this be a severe detriment when applying to "top ten" med schools?

Is redemption necessary if my academic record is good otherwise? If so how can I redeem myself? I plan on taking biochem next year. If I do well, will it help? (On a sidenote, will taking biochem help much with the MCAT?)

Thanks.
Biochem will not help that much on the MCAT. However, it may help to offset your C+ in Orgo II. As whether your GPA will still get you interviews for the the "top ten" schools, it all depends on your ECs and MCAT score. There are may more factors to an application than just the GPA. Personally, I wouldn't apply to all the top 10 schools, but rather a mix of the schools you really want to go to. Do the research.

:thumbup:
hsperson said:

Hey there.

I think biochem personally helped me on the MCAT because my biochem class helped me to integrate biology topics. Also, our prof. had us take open book tests, so our class meant a lot of critical thinking, instead of memorization.

I was excited because I got a bunch of Hemoglobin/Myoglobin Q's on my MCAT and we studied Hb/Mb in Biochem! Yay.

As for your C, and C+, don't freak out. Do what you can control:

1. Have great EC's
2. Keep working on your relationships so your LOR will be stellar
3. Keep your other grades up the best you can
4. Study for and do well on MCAT's (Read: Do AAMC practice tests!)

Remember that a 4.0 and a 40 doesn't guarantee anything! Relax and do the best you can so no matter what your final GPA is, you are proud of how you did in undergrad and it was truly the best YOU could do. There will always be people with better scores, higher GPA, better EC's, etc. If only applicants with a 4.0 and a 35+ MCAT got into medical school, the schools would not be full!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Doglover4fever said:

Could it be that you were the only person your interviewer interviewed? :laugh:

I wouldn't make that comment if I hadn't read in another thread that you got in somewhere :)

hsperson said:

Top ten schools based on what?

US News?

Who cares?

P.S. I interviewed at a top ten school with lots of C's.