Low Masters GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. NoName

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So my masters in biomedical sciences with guaranteed acceptance didn't go well as I planned (don't want to name the school). I made a 3.1 last semester and I anticipate that I will end up with a 3.35-3.4 overall instead of a 3.5 needed for the acceptance. I am freaking out now.
cGPA : 3.67
sGPA: 3.49
Reason for doing a masters was my MCAT and poor content knowledge. I didn't feel comfortable going to medical school. I didn't feel like I learned anything in my bachelors.
1st time MCAT 2016: 487
2nd attempt: 506
My second MCAT score reflects how much I have learned just in one semester.
EC: Nothing too stellar; the usual shadowing, scribing, volunteering, and teaching. LOR from two professors, one DO and one from my program dean.
I am aware that I dug myself a grave with this masters. I thought I could do it but coming into it I realized how much I didn't know. I started off with C+ and Bs on exams and finished strong but still ended up with a poor GPA. I want to know if I have permanently ruined my chances at any DO schools at this time. I would really appreciate some advice. The unhealthy anxiety and stress are really costing my health.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? With an undergraduate cGPA of 3.67 and a sGPA of 3.49 and a MCAT of 506 you could receive interviews at many DO schools.

Where is your state of residence ? With an undergraduate cGPA of 3.67 and a sGPA of 3.49 and a MCAT of 506 you could receive interviews at many DO schools.

Thank you for the response! I am from PA. I'd like to stay on the east coast because all of my family resides on the east coast. Being away from family has been mentally and emotionally exhausting for me.
But worse comes, I am ready to move anywhere if that's the only place I get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suggest targeting the newest schools, but doing poorly in a master's program is not a good sign. I predict that you will have a lot of struggle in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the response! I am from PA. I'd like to stay on the east coast because all of my family resides on the east coast. Being away from family has been mentally and emotionally exhausting for me.
But worse comes, I am ready to move anywhere if that's the only place I get accepted.
Your worry should be about succeeding in medical school. It can be exhausting and daunting at times, are you mentally ready for that challenge and ready to excel at it? It will likely be significantly more difficult than your masters program.

Suggest targeting the newest schools, but doing poorly in a master's program is not a good sign. I predict that you will have a lot of struggle in medical school.

I primarily struggled because of poor exposure to the content. When an undergraduate, I learned the material that was needed and did a lot of surface level studying which worked. However, with this masters, my critical analysis has significantly improved and it helped with MCAT as well.

I plan to apply to LECOM and PCOM because I have LORs from alumni. Also, LUCOM and WVSOM. Any other schools that you'd like to suggest?

Your worry should be about succeeding in medical school. It can be exhausting and daunting at times, are you mentally ready for that challenge and ready to excel at it? It will likely be significantly more difficult than your masters program.

This thought crossed my mind as well. Medicine is something that I have been wanting to do for the longest time. I overcame it last semester and I can do it again. I have an amazing support system at home front as well who have been nothing but positive. I believe that I can do this. I can conquer my fears and stress and just keep moving. But for that, all I want is just one acceptance honestly!

I would appreciate a school list as well that you think I might have a shot at if I apply early.

I’m not sure about every school but DO schools do include your grad GPAs in their reviews of your application. I’m not sure if they actually include the grad GPA in the calculation of your total GPA or just consider it separately. Maybe @Goro or @Faha can tell you.

I primarily struggled because of poor exposure to the content. When an undergraduate, I learned the material that was needed and did a lot of surface level studying which worked. However, with this masters, my critical analysis has significantly improved and it helped with MCAT as well.

I plan to apply to LECOM and PCOM because I have LORs from alumni. Also, LUCOM and WVSOM. Any other schools that you'd like to suggest?

This thought crossed my mind as well. Medicine is something that I have been wanting to do for the longest time. I overcame it last semester and I can do it again. I have an amazing support system at home front as well who have been nothing but positive. I believe that I can do this. I can conquer my fears and stress and just keep moving. But for that, all I want is just one acceptance honestly!

I would appreciate a school list as well that you think I might have a shot at if I apply early.
You would have to ace this semester in the program (not Beese it) to convince me that you can handle med school. As such, I can't recommend a list now. Ask me again come May. Or ar eyou finished???

You're going to get exposed to a lot of stuff in med school that you haven't had before. How will you handle that?

You would have to ace this semester in the program (not Beese it) to convince me that you can handle med school. As such, I can't recommend a list now. Ask me again come May. Or ar eyou finished???

You're going to get exposed to a lot of stuff in med school that you haven't had before. How will you handle that?

I absolutely plan on acing this semester. if I do phenomenal I could get a 3.4-3.5. I am going to change a lot of my study habits and the way I do things. I understand there is going to be a lot of brutal exposures in medical school but one thing that continues to keep driving me is what I ultimately want for myself. This master was one of my ways of self-evaluating myself if I was really cut for this. And I believe that I can do it. I just have to keep working to figure out a study system that works for me. I will come back in May and ask you for a list :) thank you very much!

Along with applying broadly to DO schools, apply to your PA MD schools including Geisinger, Penn State, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson.