Low MCAT acceptances (under 25)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone with an acceptance with a low MCAT high gpa etc?

Members don't see this ad.

How low is low: 28Q, 3.7 gpa

gdbaby said:
How low is low: 28Q, 3.7 gpa

That is not low. I would assume low is 24+.

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
Would you mind sending your comments to all the Chicago schools that refuse to acknowledge my existence?

USArmyDoc said:

actually 27-28 is low for traditional, non-URM applicants.

USArmyDoc said:

Just bear in mind that the MCAT is just one factor considered, and that everybody's situation will be different. Thus the fact that X gets in with a 24 doesn't necessarilly mean that Y with a 28+ would necessarilly have a prayer at the same school, as other circumstances besides MCAT could be the determinative factors.

USArmyDoc said:

You must mean 24- ... hehe ;)

Yeah I'd say anything 24 or lower is consider "low" or "weak" scores

I would agree. 24 and below is what I would consider low for allopathic schools. I agree with the comment that MCAT is not the only determining factor. In fact, I think that life experiences and activities are becoming more and more important.

This said, relatively low MCAT and high GPA here, 3 interviews (all non-rolling schools) but no acceptances.

28Q GPA 3.982 BCMP 4.0

I did about as well (as far as where I fit with the national pool) on the MCAT as I did on the ACT and the SAT. HAHA. But I'm doing well with the process. People need to relax about the MCAT, study for it, but you gotta do alot of other stuff to get into the schools you want.

theunderdog said:
actually 27-28 is low for traditional, non-URM applicants.

I disagree. I know people with those scores with 5+ interviews. That score is DEF not low.

USArmyDoc said:
I disagree. I know people with those scores with 5+ interviews. That score is DEF not low.

really like who?

im sure you cant possibly be talking about me, because i did get a 27. and i have a good gpa from a top 20 school. i have very good LORs as well as activities. yet, i dont seem to have 5 interviews .

theunderdog said:
really like who?

im sure you cant possibly be talking about me, because i did get a 27. and i have a good gpa from a top 20 school. i have very good LORs as well as activities. yet, i dont seem to have 5 interviews .

I'm guessing, but he may be talking about someone in a state like Tx with a lot of state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
theunderdog said:
really like who?

I figured I should answer this... I have a low UG GPA (below 3.4)and a 27Q MCAT... yet I do have 5 interviews... 3 MD's (Rush, UofA, and UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider) and 2 DO's (Both Touro's)... I believe it has to do with your persistance in life, maturity, EC's, etc... much more than numbers.... PLUS if you are curious I'm not a URM.... so I think it can be done...

theunderdog said:
really like who?

I have a 28 and 5 MD interviews.

MDhopeful023 said:
YAY! Beponychick!!!!

Thanks. Interviews arent everything though. Now if I had 5 MD acceptances with a 28, THAT would be something! :)

Jefferson, for example, has a cut off at 24, but they have to be nothing lower than an 8 in each section. So 27-28 may not be what an uptight, over-achieving premed student was hoping for, but its not really "LOW".
27-28 is in the range of acceptable scores. <25 is low.

If any non-URM with a score of 25 or less was accepted, I'd love to hear about it, and where, please!

MDhopeful023 said:
I figured I should answer this... I have a low UG GPA (below 3.4)and a 27Q MCAT... yet I do have 5 interviews... 3 MD's (Rush, UofA, and UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider) and 2 DO's (Both Touro's)... I believe it has to do with your persistance in life, maturity, EC's, etc... much more than numbers.... PLUS if you are curious I'm not a URM.... so I think it can be done...

like it's been mentioned before time and again, there is no set number combination that "makes sense" for interviews/acceptances.
i have a 30 mcat and only 1 interview, 5 rejections. deafening silence from 14 schools, soon to reject me this late in the game.

I second bubbleyum. I have a pretty good MCAT and a high GPA, but 12 of my schools have ignored me completely...

justskipee said:
28Q GPA 3.982 BCMP 4.0

People need to relax about the MCAT, study for it, but you gotta do alot of other stuff to get into the schools you want.

yeah.. like get a 4.0 bcpm 3.98 ao? comon now!

beponychick said:
Thanks. Interviews arent everything though. Now if I had 5 MD acceptances with a 28, THAT would be something! :)

It will come... we just have to relax and wait it out... PLUS this is what I figured... they are losing out if they don't accept me :laugh: ... that was bit arrogant wasn't it...

Law2Doc said:
I'm guessing, but he may be talking about someone in a state like Tx with a lot of state schools.

No, I am not. I am talking about kids who have interviews in Wisconsin, Chicago, NY, etc. They have had NO problem getting interviews with their 28. I hope it goes the same for you guys. I have lower than a 27 and I have interviews.

I have a 28 with a high GPA and had two interviews last year. I gained one acceptance and one wait list. I also applied later in the cycle (Aug MCAT). I think the only reasons I didn't get more interviews is that I applied late and to programs that focused more on numbers than experience and I did not diversify the schools I chose. I only applied to 15 total. I also applied MSTP, and did have both my interviews as MSTP but only gained an MD acceptance. I am not a URM. I'm happy to hear that there are so many other people who have gotten in with what is considered a low score my most people on this site.

jrae said:
I have a 28 with a high GPA and had two interviews last year. I gained one acceptance and one wait list. I also applied later in the cycle (Aug MCAT). I think the only reasons I didn't get more interviews is that I applied late and to programs that focused more on numbers than experience and I did not diversify the schools I chose. I only applied to 15 total. I also applied MSTP, and did have both my interviews as MSTP but only gained an MD acceptance. I am not a URM. I'm happy to hear that there are so many other people who have gotten in with what is considered a low score my most people on this site.

I think that is the key. This site is full of people with awesome MCAT scores.

Sartre79 said:
anyone with an acceptance with a low MCAT high gpa etc?

I know a few... it's definitely a possibiltiy to get in with a low mcat and a high gpa as long, but don't expect an early acceptance.

beponychick said:

I agree, interviews aren't everything, but you have to get the interviews to get the acceptances. But in reality, all you need is one acceptance and you're gonna be a doc. I'm a 24mcat, below 3.4 gpa person, 1 accept, 11 interviews. It still can be done...just keep your head up!

mammoth22 said:
I agree, interviews aren't everything, but you have to get the interviews to get the acceptances. But in reality, all you need is one acceptance and you're gonna be a doc. I'm a 24mcat, below 3.4 gpa person, 1 accept, 11 interviews. It still can be done...just keep your head up!

hi congrats

where did you get accepted?

24M
3.84 BCPM

accepted University of Mississippi

29R
3.61 (from very small, unknown school)

11 interviews, 5 acceptances so far.

Numbers definitely help, but what it comes down to is proving your potential.

My MCAT is 24, GPA 3.8 or 3.9, and non-traditional. This is my second time applying. At the beginning of the process, I didn't put much hope, and applied only 8 DO schools(completed secondaries for 6) and 6 MD schools (completed secondaries for 4). I got 4 interview invites(declined 1 interview) from DO schools and 2 from MD schools.

I have been accepted to 3 DO schools (1 with a nice scholarship) and 1 MD school - OHSU with immediate acceptance (OHSU only gives 5-10% interviewees immediate acceptance). I still can't quite believe it and feel very very lucky.

I want to say that it really can be done. If you are strong with other things (LORs, medically related experiences, and life experiences) and make a strong impression to the interviewers, and be persistent, it can happen for you. Don't let the low score discourage you from trying - of course, if you improve your chance that will definitely improve your chances.

Sondra said:
24M
3.84 BCPM

accepted University of Mississippi

Sondra when did you get your acceptance letter?