Low MCAT Advice with schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nstop1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my MCAT score back and got a 23 (8V, 7P, 8B), I was dissapointed because I was expecting at least a 25. The first time I took it I got a 15 (I didn't study at all).

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.3, I'm a bio major, never retook a class and never got below a B in any class. I also have fantastic ECs and letters of rec, so I'm not really worried about that part of the application.

I submitted my application in july, so it's still in the process of being verified....but what should I do? Should I retake the MCAT in September? I would still like to apply this cycle to some DO schools. I'm also a Michigan resident.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

When I first got my MCAT score (24), I was really bummed out. People on SDN are brutally honest, but they can be wrong at times. I think you have chances at getting a couple of interviews and getting lucky with one of them. With my 24, I have 4 interviews (could only apply to 7 schools this year because of a LOR confusion) and that's 4 more than I thought I'd get. If you feel more comfortable with retaking the MCAT, then go right ahead, but I think you have a legitimate chance at some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
When I first got my MCAT score (24), I was really bummed out. People on SDN are brutally honest, but they can be wrong at times. I think you have chances at getting a couple of interviews and getting lucky with one of them. With my 24, I have 4 interviews (could only apply to 7 schools this year because of a LOR confusion) and that's 4 more than I thought I'd get. If you feel more comfortable with retaking the MCAT, then go right ahead, but I think you have a legitimate chance at some schools.

That's really reassuring, thank you!
Can I ask what schools you applied to/which ones you got interviews at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's awesome that you went up from a 15 to a 23 and I think schools will see that. Your GPA is good and it seems like the only weak part of your app is the MCAT.

However, I do think you should schedule yourself to try and take the MCAT at least one more time, probably in November or January. The only reason I say this is that in the case that you don't get in anywhere this cycle, it will probably be because of your MCAT. And if you wait too long, then you'll be stuck taking the new exam which might get you a lower score than 23 since it's new and we don't really have too much of an idea how it will be/what the scaling is like/etc.

I'd say register for a November or January exam, put it down on your app that you're planning on taking it then so med schools know, and just study from now til then and rock it. Even if you don't get in this cycle, then at least you'll have a better score and you won't have to take the new exam.

So I just got my MCAT score back and got a 23 (8V, 7P, 8B), I was dissapointed because I was expecting at least a 25. The first time I took it I got a 15 (I didn't study at all).

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.3, I'm a bio major, never retook a class and never got below a B in any class. I also have fantastic ECs and letters of rec, so I'm not really worried about that part of the application.

I submitted my application in july, so it's still in the process of being verified....but what should I do? Should I retake the MCAT in September? I would still like to apply this cycle to some DO schools. I'm also a Michigan resident.

Thanks!!
I would apply to:

MSU
WVSOM
LMU
LUCOM
VCOM-Auburn
ACOM
PCOM-Ga
KYCOM
ATSU-SOMA
CUSOM
MUCOM
PNWU
LECOM-E

Be willing to move anywhere.

I think it's awesome that you went up from a 15 to a 23 and I think schools will see that. Your GPA is good and it seems like the only weak part of your app is the MCAT.

However, I do think you should schedule yourself to try and take the MCAT at least one more time, probably in November or January. The only reason I say this is that in the case that you don't get in anywhere this cycle, it will probably be because of your MCAT. And if you wait too long, then you'll be stuck taking the new exam which might get you a lower score than 23 since it's new and we don't really have too much of an idea how it will be/what the scaling is like/etc.

I'd say register for a November or January exam, put it down on your app that you're planning on taking it then so med schools know, and just study from now til then and rock it. Even if you don't get in this cycle, then at least you'll have a better score and you won't have to take the new exam.

That's a really good point, thank you! I also might try some post-bac programs if I don't get in this cycle.

I would apply to:

MSU
WVSOM
LMU
LUCOM
VCOM-Auburn
ACOM
PCOM-Ga
KYCOM
ATSU-SOMA
CUSOM
MUCOM
PNWU
LECOM-E

Thank you!! And ya I'm willing to go anywhere haha

That's really reassuring, thank you!
Can I ask what schools you applied to/which ones you got interviews at?

I applied to ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, WVSOM, CUSOM, VCOM, LUCOM, and KCUMB.
I got interviews for KCOM, CUSOM, LUCOM, and KCUMB. Rejected from SOMA. Hold for WVSOM. Haven't heard back from VCOM yet.

You will need to retake.

I got a 23 by guessing answers on a practice test.

---

How the hell did someone with a 24 get an interview at KCUMB when people with 3.8 SMP/38 are getting rejected?

I would apply to:

MSU
WVSOM
LMU
LUCOM
VCOM-Auburn
ACOM
PCOM-Ga
KYCOM
ATSU-SOMA
CUSOM
MUCOM
PNWU
LECOM-E

MSU is very instate bias... wouldn't apply unless ur from MI or have 30+ MCAT and want to pay 80K

MSU is very instate bias... wouldn't apply unless ur from MI or have 30+ MCAT and want to pay 80K

Op is from Michigan. As far ass that list goes I would add more. RVU maybe. Alabama school also.

Apply to Michigan for sure if you have a lot of volunteering/community service under your belt. I have followed the MSU thread for a couple years and they seem to be very forgiving to those who display genuine altruism and perseverance. Also being IS will help you and your wallet.

Apply to Michigan for sure if you have a lot of volunteering/community service under your belt. I have followed the MSU thread for a couple years and they seem to be very forgiving to those who display genuine altruism and perseverance. Also being IS will help you and your wallet.
Define a lot... I'm thinking I'll have about 250+ clinical volunteering between two hospitals (including MSU's Sparrow hospital) and two different areas (ER & Radiology) by time I apply and probably about 50 hours of general comm service. Thanks! Oh also I do research for a MSU-OSU linked project. Do you think being involved in MSU stuff will help a lot in terms of getting into MSU-COM. I really want to go to PCOM or CCOM but I would like to have MSU-COM as a sure thing.

Define a lot... I'm thinking I'll have about 250+ clinical volunteering between two hospitals (including MSU's Sparrow hospital) and two different areas (ER & Radiology) by time I apply and probably about 50 hours of general comm service. Thanks! Oh also I do research for a MSU-OSU linked project. Do you think being involved in MSU stuff will help a lot in terms of getting into MSU-COM. I really want to go to PCOM or CCOM but I would like to have MSU-COM as a sure thing.

Reject at my school and many others...especially if they average MCAT scores.

Poor MCAT performance is a predictor of failure in medical school and Step I of Boards.

Strongly suggest a retake, but only after identifying your deficits.

As of now, your only hope is with the newest schools. Avoid LUCOM.

Thanks!!

Reject at my school and many others...especially if they average MCAT scores.

Poor MCAT performance is a predictor of failure in medical school and Step I of Boards.

Strongly suggest a retake, but only after identifying your deficits.

As of now, your only hope is with the newest schools. Avoid LUCOM.
I keep hearing to avoid LUCOM. What is it so bad they do?

I keep hearing to avoid LUCOM. What is it so bad they do?

I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology. Some of the screw-ups they're making (losing rotation sites; over-filling the 1st class) give the appearance that they don’t know what they're doing.

Reactions: 1 users