Medical Low MCAT after 4th attempt, do I still have a chance at medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was hoping I could get more information/"guidance" on my current pre-med situation. I applied this past cycle (a little later in the game, submitted my primary in October and finished my secondaries before November... yikes, I know) and have not heard any news yet. I've taken the MCAT four times previously (the first I was unaware all scores would get reported) and my highest score has been a 502. I was wondering if it was completely absurd to take the exam again (this time more prepared and with a test-prep course) or if I should start looking into Master's Programs without retaking it quite yet. Once again, just looking for some guidance if at all available :)

You’re not in a good spot having taken the exam 4 times with the highest being a 502.

What were the other scores, in order? What are your GPAs.

What led you to taking the exam 4 times with low scores that you have not thought about a prep-course before?

Depending on your GPAs, an SMP may be your best course of action, but with 4 previous exam attempts without significant improvements is questionable.

Definitely do not take it again until you’re ready, be it through an SMP, post-bacc, review course, tutor, etc.

Are you currently in school or have an advisor of any sort or have you been advised before?

Members don't see this ad.

If all your MCAT attempts were taken within 5 years, you've plateaued. If you are looking to take the MCAT again, you should wait at least 3 years. As noted, you already have problems with perception that you can't prepare properly for critical exams, and admissions professionals will not be willing to advance your file. Even if hypothetically you retook the exam and got a 520, people will wonder which numbers are more representative: the best score or the more consistent results?

Some schools will average all attempts. Others will do superscores (best from each exam). By taking the exam four times already, you have dug yourself a hole against getting into medical school for the immediate future.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Hi all! Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate the feedback.

My scores have been as follows: 47something (took this one without knowing all scores would be reported and DEFINITELY without preparing), 502, 499, 500. My GPA is a 3.5. I've been advised by my undergrad pre-med advisor just through this past application cycle (after already taking the exams). I've retaken the exam these past four times without proper preparation, could have definitely used more practice.

So the 502 you initially listed is not even your most recent? The most recent is a 500?

With that mix of scores, you dug a hole. Scoring well will be looked at as a fluke. Scoring poorly will rule you out completely. Scoring the same will show poor judgement that you took it a 5th time despite scoring the same the previous 3 times.

You will need to do an SMP with a linkage If you’re going to have a shot at medical school at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.