Low MCAT and GPA.. Should I do SMP or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktwang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this past cycle and am currently waitlisted at one MD school (also only got this one II). My MCAT and GPA are both low, but I went ahead and applied anyway because I've been out of school for almost 3 years.

MCAT: 27 (9/8/10.. took in October 2014)
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4

I immigrated here in high school and went straight to a CC to complete my prereqs. I successfully transferred to a top UC with a 3.9 GPA but everything went downhill after I transferred. I had to go to numerous appointments for a breast lump during my first semester because of family history of breast cancer. Trying to adjust to a new environment, taking full course load, and going though extensive testing weren't all that was going on. Back home, my teenage sister was abusing drugs and alcohol and my parents would call me everyday for help. My parents have sacrificed a lot for us to move here to have a better education. They speak minimal English and was helpless when my sister was going down the wrong path. I barely finished my first semester and got my first C on the transcript. The second semester I had the surgery to remove the lump and my sister was doing worse (almost got arrested), so I decided to withdraw from school to move back home to help my parents and sister. I took my sister to counseling and therapy, and she was able to recover after six months. So I returned to school in hopes of recovering from the bad first year at the UC. However, nothing was the same anymore. I struggled so much academically, getting mostly Bs and Cs in my upper division science classes.

My downward trend in GPA and my low MCAT were the red flags in this past cycle.

My question is: If I apply to only DO schools this year, do I have a chance? I don't have a LOR from a DO but have two LORs from MDs.
Or should I do a SMP (Drexel?) or post-bac to raise my GPA and retake the MCAT and apply next year? Doing this I won't start school until 2018 and that's if everything goes well. I understand this process is not a race but I'm 25 already...

My ECs:
1500 hrs ED Tech (direct patient care and interact with a lot of doctors, PAs, and nurses)
2000 hrs EMT on ambulance
1500 hrs biochemistry research with one publication (400 hrs HHMI summer research program)
300 hrs food bank volunteer
400 hrs ED volunteer
400 hrs tutoring experience
150 hrs soup kitchen volunteer
100 hrs high school SAT tutor/mentor
100 hrs service trip to an Indian reservation in Arizona
20 hrs shadowing a general surgeon

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

other than mcat i see no issues here. your gpa isn't what's keeping you from succeeding. getting waitlisted says you're close.

being in an smp isn't necessarily going to help you get more points on the mcat. particularly if english isn't your first language, you need to respect cars on the new test.

get a job, pay for rigorous prep, kill the mcat in plenty of time to apply next year. such as plan for a retake in april. save your pennies. apply very early and very broadly.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Your GPA isn't great but it's passable. The Cs certainly won't do you any favors, but a 3.6 is fine--it won't disqualify you anywhere. The 27 is the bigger problem, which will be a huge thorn in your side at any MD program. That being said, your ECs sound excellent and that fact that you got an interview/waitlist means that you are essentially an acceptable applicant at that school. If you retake the MCAT and do really well, coupled with your story, I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear of your woes, but three red flags, actually...you make bad choices. When life was spiraling out of control, you should have withdrawn from your classes to deal with your issues.

My downward trend in GPA and my low MCAT were the red flags in this past cycle.

You can apply to plenty of DO schools without a DO LOR. Your fastest path to being a doctor will be via the DO route.

My question is: If I apply to only DO schools this year, do I have a chance? I don't have a LOR from a DO but have two LORs from MDs.

If you're boning for the MD,. then yes. You'll need to ace it though, and ace MCAT as well. And some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.
Or should I do a SMP (Drexel?) or post-bac to raise my GPA and retake the MCAT and apply next year? Doing this I won't start school until 2018 and that's if everything goes well. I understand this process is not a race but I'm 25 already...

Reactions: 1 user
you retake the MCAT and do really well, coupled with your story, I think you'll be fine.
33.gif

It doesn't look like I'm getting off the waitlist and I've decided to do UC Berkeley Extension's post-bac (I went to UCB for undergrad) while studying for the new MCAT. However, I've already retaken biochem and physio (got C's in both classes) at a local community college after graduating. Should I retake them again in the post-bac program? Or should I move on and take other classes where I received C's (genetics and cell bio) and other upper division science classes? Thank you very much for your help! @Goro @DrMidlife @gyngyn @LizzyM

It doesn't look like I'm getting off the waitlist and I've decided to do UC Berkeley Extension's post-bac (I went to UCB for undergrad) while studying for the new MCAT. However, I've already retaken biochem and physio (got C's in both classes) at a local community college after graduating. Should I retake them again in the post-bac program? Or should I move on and take other classes where I received C's (genetics and cell bio) and other upper division science classes? Thank you very much for your help! @Goro @DrMidlife @gyngyn @LizzyM
Focus on the MCAT, if you want to attend MD.
Get a DO letter and apply now, if DO is ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on the MCAT, if you want to attend MD.
Get a DO letter and apply now, if DO is ok.
I'll be completely happy with being a DO! However, how bad does it look the fact that I applied to ~15 DO schools last cycle but didn't return any of the secondaries? I know it's a stupid mistake and I still regret it now. I was just overwhelmed with all the MD secondaries and DO secondaries asked so many specific questions regarding osteopathic medicine that I wasn't familiar with. I also thought the lack of a DO LOR would not get me in so I didn't want to waste money. I'm totally willing to shadow a DO, get to know the philosophy of OMM well, and apply this year, but will schools frown upon my application because of what I did last year?

I'll be completely happy with being a DO! However, how bad does it look the fact that I applied to ~15 DO schools last cycle but didn't return any of the secondaries? I know it's a stupid mistake and I still regret it now. I was just overwhelmed with all the MD secondaries and DO secondaries asked so many specific questions regarding osteopathic medicine that I wasn't familiar with. I also thought the lack of a DO LOR would not get me in so I didn't want to waste money. I'm totally willing to shadow a DO, get to know the philosophy of OMM well, and apply this year, but will schools frown upon my application because of what I did last year?
I'm pretty sure they are used to it. They will be happy to consider you.

Read the Gevitz book. Let it inform your understanding of US healthcare, not just osteopathic medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest retaking the biochem and physio since they may be helpful in MCAT studying. Also be careful about taking the new MCAT. Make sure you are ready and don't take it if you aren't confident. A 27 isn't great, but I think it's still acceptable for DO schools. Try to keep doing a little shadowing and clinical volunteering on the side. I think you could still apply this cycle for DO but it takes time to write an application and get everything in order. I might wait until next cycle if I were you, but it depends on how much you can handle. If you do well in the post-bacc and continue to volunteer/shadow you should have a great shot at DO schools next cycle (regardless of the MCAT).