low mcat and low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruknight310

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am going to be a senior in the fall of 2015 and was hoping to go to medical school. I know that i am not the smartest kid but i was hoping that there is still a chance. I am willing to go to MD schools, DO schools, and medical schools all over the world. I just want to become a doctor and help people.

My current gpa as of now is a 3.16 and mcat score is embarrassing low at 15 (but planning on taking it again in august). I have a lot of volunteer work and extracurricular activities if thats help. I was hoping for people to give me a list of medical schools with there average gpa and mcat scores so i know where i should be looking or just advice in general for me.

Thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

So i am going to be a senior in the fall of 2015 and was hoping to go to medical school. I know that i am not the smartest kid but i was hoping that there is still a chance. I am willing to go to MD schools, DO schools, and medical schools all over the world. I just want to become a doctor and help people.

My current gpa as of now is a 3.16 and mcat score is embarrassing low at 15 (but planning on taking it again in august). I have a lot of volunteer work and extracurricular activities if thats help. I was hoping for people to give me a list of medical schools with there average gpa and mcat scores so i know where i should be looking or just advice in general for me.

At this point? 0 schools will take you unless you have a much better MCAT score. Why didn't you cancel your score knowing you did horribly?

I take it you're from Rutgers too? So am I!

First off don't go overseas...there's a very good possibility you'll graduate and not get a residnecy position. Your best bet is DO schools. With a 15 you have zero chance at any med school. You've got to improve this. In the meantime retake poor grades and bump your gpa.

You've got a long road ahead of you, but the good news is it's still entirely within your power to get into medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the sdn users gathered up average stats for DO schools:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/msar-for-do.1115265/#post-16055436

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-do-average-mcat-and-cgpa-spreadsheet.1069036/

Get your MCAT way up. Make sure you are absolutely ready for the August exam before taking it. If you feel you are not ready or you are not getting the score you want consistently on practice exams, then reschedule. Also, if possible, retake some of the science classes you did poorly in to take advantage of DO school's grade replacement policy which will increase your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user

EC's don't cover the elephant in the room that is your GPA and MCAT score. If you want to be a doctor, you need to get through medical school AKA pass boards, your MCAT screams "will not pass boards, will fail course work" to adcoms.

Time for DIY post-bac to repair your GPA. You will need to reinvent yourself for studying for the MCAT.

As it has been said here, do not fall into the trap that holistic review from an offshore medical school that doesn't even look at an MCAT will be your gleaming shimmer of hope to be a doctor and help people.

Don't apply MD.
Get started on AACOMAS (essays, transcripts, etc)
Take MCAT in August -the rest depends on your MCAT scores
Apply to "throw away school"- if you you don't know what this means ask
This will tell you your "true" AACOMAS GPAs
You can gauge schools/ acceptances from there

As a warning- if your cumulative gpa is 3.16, your science is most likely substantially lower. I only offer this as a way of confirming your AACOMAS GPAs instead of calculating on own, whicH may end up incorrect

Edit: this just gives you an enpoint to aim for, I'm not justifying applying without a strong MCAT

Last edited:
with 15 MCAT, you will need to win a Nobel prize or at least some sort of HHMI member to get in.
Yes, EC does make up for the MCAT

URM doesn't compensate for low MCAT scores (sub-20), and I don't think DO schools consider URM like MD schools as most DO schools are private. OP, take some serious MCAT preparations and try DO schools. Good luck!

Jesus, my sGPA is a ~3.25 and I feel slightly average to below average. OP needs a year or most likely two to improve upon his application.

I'm sorry, but as everyone said, with those numbers you won't get into any med schools. With an initial MCAT score of 15... you'll have a hard time raising your score enough with the new MCAT. Study insanely hard so you get at least in the 75% percentile. Apply for SMP programs (link below to start), study insanely hard again to get at least a 3.5 GPA. Then go on to apply for MD/DO programs. You aren't hopeless but you have a lot of work ahead of you if you want to get into med school. Best of luck.

If you can't meet those numbers and you really just want to help people, you may have to consider other healthcare professions (ie. nursing, PA..)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-official-guide-to-special-masters-programs.346106/

Honestly, podiatry sounds like a pretty nice gig and it would be much more attainable for you. Raising your MCAT by 11-12 points isn't easy but that's what you need to do if you want to get in DO school. You need to really figure out why you did so poorly the first time and address that before you even consider taking it again. I don't know when you took it the first time but reconsider the August retake because it sounds like you need a lot more time.

Your gpa is far from competitive, too. After you graduate, you'll need to retake courses you got C/D/F in, which can do wonders. I hope you're not considering applying this cycle, you have serious work to do.

But really, if you just want to 'help' people in the medical sense and don't care about prestige or a certain specialty, consider podiatry school.

You've got to improve this. In the meantime retake poor grades and bump your gpa.
1wpbf

Members don't see this ad :)
URM doesn't compensate for low MCAT scores (sub-20), and I don't think DO schools consider URM like MD schools as most DO schools are private. OP, take some serious MCAT preparations and try DO schools. Good luck!
I know it doesn't, I'm just trying to evaluate What is going through OPs head that the think this is okay to apply...it's as if some one from Jamaica said "no worries mon!"

If you're implying I was trying to start a race war, it was not my intention at all. I just don't understand where or what planet OP thought 15 was an acceptable MCAT. Either he is greatly misinformed or entirely new to the process. And for the record, I also have nothing against Jamaicans... I often tell myself to "chill mon" when I'm getting overworked. I know URM at that MCAT would NEVER hold an advantage. I was seeking information to find out if he thought this would forgive his MCAT, so I could correct him

I did not realize how big of a factor race was. There's about a 40% difference between "whites" and minorities in my gpa/mcat range. Damn. Lol does 1/32 Cherokee count?

Last edited:
I did not realize how big of a factor race was. There's about a 40% difference between "whites" and minorities in my gpa/mcat range. Damn. Lol does 1/32 Cherokee count?

If you can prove it, then more power to your application. I know for sure Im 5% monkey. The degree of hair on my legs can stand as evidence.

Reactions: 1 users
with 15 MCAT, you will need to win a Nobel prize or at least some sort of HHMI member to get in.
Yes, EC does make up for the MCAT

That is completely incorrect. EC's do not make up for the MCAT. A nobel prize or HHMI appointment will not allow this person to waltz into any medical school. OP has a 15 MCAT.

The goal of the admissions process is the filter out those who would not make the cut because it's an AVOIDABLE consequence. Increasing attrition rate = LCME or COCA's attention.

And in regards to the data table: even if OP was URM or UIM, they at best have a 1-2% chance of being accepted.

I was trying to say a joke...... I dont think any HHMI member would give up his/her scientific career for medicine (HHMI members have 10m annual funding), and it is very unlikely for those people to score 15 on MCAT. Instead of applying to med school, some small med schools may want affiliate with some HHMI members in someway (not as a student, but as a faculty or some sort of chairman). lol
That is completely incorrect. EC's do not make up for the MCAT. A nobel prize or HHMI appointment will not allow this person to waltz into any medical school. OP has a 15 MCAT.

The goal of the admissions process is the filter out those who would not make the cut because it's an AVOIDABLE consequence. Increasing attrition rate = LCME or COCA's attention.

And in regards to the data table: even if OP was URM or UIM, they at best have a 1-2% chance of being accepted.

OP, An astute thing to do is to come up with a solid plan B. You will find the new MCAT more challenging and your GPA needs work as well.

If you're implying I was trying to start a race war, it was not my intention at all. I just don't understand where or what planet OP thought 15 was an acceptable MCAT. Either he is greatly misinformed or entirely new to the process. And for the record, I also have nothing against Jamaicans... I often tell myself to "chill mon" when I'm getting overworked. I know URM at that MCAT would NEVER hold an advantage. I was seeking information to find out if he thought this would forgive his MCAT, so I could correct him

Yes, URM is an advantage even at 15 mcat. 19 ish URMs got in with 15-17 MCAT. 1 white, 2 asian got in at that level.

Yes, URM is an advantage even at 15 mcat. 19 ish URMs got in with 15-17 MCAT. 1 white, 2 asian got in at that level.

:uhno: did they get in at PNWU?

It's unbelievable that there are schools willing to take risks on such applicants.

Last edited:
:uhno: did they get in at PNWU?

It's unbelievable that there are schools willing to take risks on such applicants.
I don't understand the logic behind those who got accepted under 20 even they are URM.
My explanation is they have a big name daddy (Senator, long term donor etc) or there was a technical error during mcat and retake is not available for that cycle (with some strong evidence of academic excellence, such as 3.8 at Caltech).

Reactions: 1 users
op you're okay. You know what you need to do. Study hard, if you need to invest money into a program that will push you towards a 27+ then do it if that's what it takes to be diligent and study. spend some time doing grade repair. Have your plan b's and c's. I don't think you've responded to this thread yet but do you really think a 15 is indicative of your ability? Doubtful. Were you lax and rushed to take a test you hadn't adequately prepared for? Probably. I don't know when you took the old exam or what the deal is with expiring scores but maybe you could take advantage of that.

Far from a lost cause OP.

I think a cGPA of 3.16 is a bit worrying. I mean, that means your sGPA is most likely either at or below a 3.0. That needs to get higher!

I don't understand the logic behind those who got accepted under 20 even they are URM.
My explanation is they have a big name daddy (Senator, long term donor etc) or there was a technical error during mcat and retake is not available for that cycle (with some strong evidence of academic excellence, such as 3.8 at Caltech).

Ive heard about a gal & URM (AA) who got into MSUCOM with a 3.9 GPA and a 19 MCAT.