Low MCAT, average gpa, Masters in Medical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoleDoc

FEAR THE SPEAR!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here goes... I'm 25 and not getting any younger. I have a 23Q MCAT (BS10 PS10 VR3) I've taken the mcat multiple times so I've been told by an advisor its already starting to look bad, so I guess retaking it is out of the question. My gpa is a 3.3 and I have great clinical and volunteer experience with great Letters or Recommendations. Plus, I've been accepted to the Masters in Medical Science at USF. So my question is, barring I do well in the MS program... What are my chances for a DO school. Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be better if you did a D.O. SMP. You have the stats to get into any of the programs. You would be a shoe-in right after. I would recommend you look particularly at the ones offered by AZCOM and WesternU. I haven't researched the other ones, but those 2 do have good linkage. Provided you keep a decent GPA, you should have no problem gaining an acceptance.

What were your other MCAT scores? Was your VR score any higher on any of the other ones? Some schools take the highest subscore of multiple tests. I would be surprised if an SMP would look past a VR of 3 as well, so I think your only chance would be to take another MCAT despite having other scores. Is English your second language? The 3 definitely hurts you at every school, as most schools have a minimum subscore requirement to even look at your app, so it wouldn't matter about any of the other things. Your gpa isn't horrible, but you could also work on that as well. You could retake any classes you did bad in for grade replacement...or maybe take an English class to bring your VR score up?

Members don't see this ad :)
With a below average GPA and a severely below average MCAT after multiple attempts, what makes you think you would be able to handle medical school?

Honest advice here: start thinking of another career. That VR3 is a big red flag.

So here goes... I'm 25 and not getting any younger. I have a 23Q MCAT (BS10 PS10 VR3) I've taken the mcat multiple times so I've been told by an advisor its already starting to look bad, so I guess retaking it is out of the question. My gpa is a 3.3 and I have great clinical and volunteer experience with great Letters or Recommendations. Plus, I've been accepted to the Masters in Medical Science at USF. So my question is, barring I do well in the MS program... What are my chances for a DO school. Thanks for the insight.

Honest advice here: start thinking of another career. That VR3 is a big red flag.

Maybe English is not his first language.

Advice: Re-take the MCAT.

OP, how did you manage to get a 3 on VR? Have your other MCATs been higher? It seems that a 10 on both science sections should indicate you can read and process information decently but your VR of 3 would likely make anyone wonder what is going on.

Maybe English is not his first language.

Advice: Re-take the MCAT.
Goro is as brutal as he was in Mortal Kombat, but he's being honest. There's no school that will take a VR of 3. He will have to retake until that gets to at least a 7.

If you do well in that MMS you could go anywhere (although, why not USF?)

If you don't do well... it really does look bad.

I have a 23Q MCAT (BS10 PS10 VR3) I've taken the mcat multiple times so I've been told by an advisor its already starting to look bad, so I guess retaking it is out of the question.
Well you'll have to retake that score if you want to go to medical school in the U.S. Even the big 4 in the Caribbean wouldn't accept that score

I would take a 25 on an MCAT and a low gpa anyday than my stats:
3.83 gpa, 36 on the MCAT, but an academic dishonesty violation in sophomore year for stealing an exam and cheating on it.