1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Low MCAT, average gpa, Masters in Medical Science

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by NoleDoc, Aug 17, 2011.

1. NoleDoc

NoleDoc FEAR THE SPEAR!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So here goes... I'm 25 and not getting any younger. I have a 23Q MCAT (BS10 PS10 VR3) I've taken the mcat multiple times so I've been told by an advisor its already starting to look bad, so I guess retaking it is out of the question. My gpa is a 3.3 and I have great clinical and volunteer experience with great Letters or Recommendations. Plus, I've been accepted to the Masters in Medical Science at USF. So my question is, barring I do well in the MS program... What are my chances for a DO school. Thanks for the insight.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

It would be better if you did a D.O. SMP. You have the stats to get into any of the programs. You would be a shoe-in right after. I would recommend you look particularly at the ones offered by AZCOM and WesternU. I haven't researched the other ones, but those 2 do have good linkage. Provided you keep a decent GPA, you should have no problem gaining an acceptance.

4. Total180

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What were your other MCAT scores? Was your VR score any higher on any of the other ones? Some schools take the highest subscore of multiple tests. I would be surprised if an SMP would look past a VR of 3 as well, so I think your only chance would be to take another MCAT despite having other scores. Is English your second language? The 3 definitely hurts you at every school, as most schools have a minimum subscore requirement to even look at your app, so it wouldn't matter about any of the other things. Your gpa isn't horrible, but you could also work on that as well. You could retake any classes you did bad in for grade replacement...or maybe take an English class to bring your VR score up?

5. V5RED

V5RED MS-1
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    With a below average GPA and a severely below average MCAT after multiple attempts, what makes you think you would be able to handle medical school?

6. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Honest advice here: start thinking of another career. That VR3 is a big red flag.

7. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe English is not his first language.

Advice: Re-take the MCAT.

8. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP, how did you manage to get a 3 on VR? Have your other MCATs been higher? It seems that a 10 on both science sections should indicate you can read and process information decently but your VR of 3 would likely make anyone wonder what is going on.

9. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Goro is as brutal as he was in Mortal Kombat, but he's being honest. There's no school that will take a VR of 3. He will have to retake until that gets to at least a 7.

10. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you do well in that MMS you could go anywhere (although, why not USF?)

If you don't do well... it really does look bad.

11. sector9

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well you'll have to retake that score if you want to go to medical school in the U.S. Even the big 4 in the Caribbean wouldn't accept that score

12. phospholipid11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would take a 25 on an MCAT and a low gpa anyday than my stats:
    3.83 gpa, 36 on the MCAT, but an academic dishonesty violation in sophomore year for stealing an exam and cheating on it.