Low MCAT, decent GPA. Which schools to be sure to try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoSoyCasa-MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats: 3.5 sGPA, 3.45cGPA
8/3/11, 8/8/9 MCAT's (PS/VR/BS)

URM-Disadv, California

AAMC table says 41% of applicants get in.

Just tell me schools to apply for sure. I know, everyone knows, there's a small chance with such stats but I'm throwing a Hail Mary that others have landed. My list so far includes most schools who 1) have a low mcat admission on MSAR 2) an alright number of out of state interviews and acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Which community do you represent? Show us your list.
I was born in Mexico and moved to the US when I was around 8. I live in one of the most medically underrepresented counties in the US and I want to do family medicine.

List so far includes:

Howard
Loma Linda
Michigan State
Ponce
San Juan Bautista
SUNY Downstate
U of New Mexico
Central Del Caribe (PR)
U of Arkansas
UCD
UCI
UCR
U of Illinois, Chicago
U of Missouri, Kansas City
Rochester School of Med.

Thinking of adding:

UW
UNC
Sanford
Indiana?
U of Utah
GWU
Quinnipach (spelling?)
NYMC
U of Nebraska
Chicago Med
Albany
Meharry
Commonwealth
UCLA

Members don't see this ad :)
ponce has a high preference for puerto riqueños

No DO schools? If not why? I would think you are wasting large sums of money applying to that many MD schools. Seriously look at DO philosophy and the schools.

Goro suggests

Howard
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
SUNY Downstate
UCD
UCI
UCR (are you from SoCal? UCR is very mission-specific)
Rochester School of Med.
GWU
Quinnipac
NYMC
Chicago Med
Albany
Meharry
Commonwealth
UCLA
Creighton
U AZ
U CO
U NV
Tufts
Wake Forest
U Miami (maybe)
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
TUCOM-CA
Western (both campuses)
TUNCOM
Both AZ COMs
PacNW
BU
SLU
MCW
Rush

No DO schools? If not why? I would think you are wasting large sums of money applying to that many MD schools. Seriously look at DO philosophy and the schools.
Got my MCAT like a few days ago and haven't really had time to shadow any DO's because of a summer internship. I'm applying this cycle because 1) I got the fee waiver for the reduced MCAT and the 15 free schools with the app so adding the others would just be an extra cost 2) There is a statistical chance, not really high, but I have the letters, EC's and I'm willing to try and even if I don't get in anywhere. I will still have those letters and I can retake and/or reapply to both MD/DO next year.

Goro suggests

Howard
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
SUNY Downstate
UCD
UCI
UCR (are you from SoCal? UCR is very mission-specific)
Rochester School of Med.
GWU
Quinnipac
NYMC
Chicago Med
Albany
Meharry
Commonwealth
UCLA
Creighton
U AZ
U CO
U NV
Tufts
Wake Forest
U Miami (maybe)
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
TUCOM-CA
Western (both campuses)
TUNCOM
Both AZ COMs
PacNW
BU
SLU
MCW
Rush

I currently go to UCR and the summer internship I'm currently doing is through the school of med so my interview was by some of their faculty.

@Goro can you direct me and others to a list of don'ts at loma linda? i have been looking on their site and i know they are 7th day adventists, but not sure what you mean by a list of don'ts

i've seen things against caffeine, alcohol, gender reassignment, etc... those kinds of things? the beliefs of the 7th day adventists? or is there something specifically from the school

@Goro can you direct me and others to a list of don'ts at loma linda? i have been looking on their site and i know they are 7th day adventists, but not sure what you mean by a list of don'ts

i've seen things against caffeine, alcohol, gender reassignment, etc... those kinds of things? the beliefs of the 7th day adventists? or is there something specifically from the school

They have a handbook on their website somewhere. No sex either btw

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro Why not Universidad Central Del Caribe, Ponce and San Juan Bautista? I feel like OP best shot is at these schools...

Reactions: 1 user
They are from the mainland (USA)... The one at UCC declined a DO acceptance for UCC.

@Goro ... Not really. My two friends who are attending UCC and SJB told me that half of their class are mainlanders and they come from all backgrounds (White/AA/Asians/Spanish from everywhere etc...