Low MCAT, High GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamaic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are kind of a couple posts about this already, but I don't see any about what to do with a low physical science score in this forum...(hope this isn't an annoying post)

My stats are cGPA 3.8 sGPA 3.7 from a liberal arts school with a BS in Bio
I scored a 25 MCAT B 9, V 9, P 7 (boo, but definitely what I expected given my practice tests...never scored higher than 7 on P)

I am NOT re-taking this test...no way! I studied hard and frankly I don't want to waste the time because at best I think I could score a 27 probably with a 9-10-8 spread. I just suck at inorganic chemistry (physics and o. chem and biochem are all no problem).

I am not planning on going Caribbean or DO just because my score is low so my question is really two things,

1. How can I, with a couple years off, improve my chances, and...
2. What MD schools will even look at me with this kind of MCAT? (Washington Resident)

Thank you so much for input!

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are kind of a couple posts about this already, but I don't see any about what to do with a low physical science score in this forum...(hope this isn't an annoying post)

I scored a 25 MCAT B 9, V 9, P 7 (boo, but definitely what I expected given my practice tests...never scored higher than 7 on P)

I am NOT re-taking this test...no way! I studied hard and frankly I don't want to waste the time because at best I think I could score a 27 probably with a 9-10-8 spread. I just suck at inorganic chemistry (physics and o. chem and biochem are all no problem).

I am not planning on going Caribbean or DO just because my score is low so my question is really two things,

2. What MD schools will even look at me with this kind of MCAT? (Washington Resident)

If you raise your MCAT even by two points, your chance of getting accepted to an MD program goes from 38% to 67% (non-URM).

There is nothing you can do to offset your low MCAT score. Even if you somehow manage to get an interview, they will ask why you didn't take it second time. If your answer is what you say in your quote, that will look really bad (indicative of lack of commitment, intellectual capability, perseverance, etc). 27 is substantially better than 25.

Time + money spent studying MCAT would be lower than the total cost of application and the very high chance of a wasted year, given you will most likely have to reapply. You will need to take your MCAT again if you want to reapply. There is no excuse.

See bolded above, all three of these are not compatible with each other. Something has got to give. Take a moment to recollect yourself and determine a plan.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go MD, you need to retake the MCAT.

See bolded above, all three of these are not compatible with each other. Something has got to give. Take a moment to recollect yourself and determine a plan.

Survivor DO

This. OP, if you are dead set on not retaking, your only options are DO and Carib. Your GPA is great, and if you retake and score well then a US MD is in reach. All up to you but right now your shot at a US-MD school (unless you have a very forgiving state school) are pretty bleak.

I think like 7 MD schools have MCAT score of 25 at the 10th percentile. It's possible

edit: 11 MD schools

I think like 7 MD schools have MCAT score of 25 at the 10th percentile. It's possible

It is possible. Shoot I got in this year with a 26. But possible is different than likely.....and it isnt likely. There isnt any harm in applying MD if OP has extra scratch though.

It is possible. Shoot I got in this year with a 26. But possible is different than likely.....and it isnt likely. There isnt any harm in applying MD if OP has extra scratch though.

Congrats

I'd reconsider DO. There is nothing wrong with it.

If you were dead set on US MD and won't take your MCAT again, come up with a cure for Parkinson's and you might get some interviews. Every point matters on that godforsaken test (i HATED the physics science section too). 25 is low for the more renowned DO schools that you refuse to apply to. PCOM wants an 8 in each section/ that 7 is killing you. Avg MCAT scores for schools like PCOM are edging up to around 29.

I'd study physics and gen chem like it was your job and try and hit at least 29. Apply real broadly to US MD schools EARLLYYYYYYYYY and DO schools. Wouldn't recommend doing the Caribbean route given the AOA and ACGME residency merge happening in 2015

Get the MSAR. Identify schools that have an MCAT of 25 at the10th percentile. Eliminate the ones that accept less than 15% OOS.

If this cycle fails, retake the MCAT to get at least 30 or apply DO.

If you'd rather not lose a cycle apply DO this year.

Never assume you'll be in the 10th percentile. Just ignore the bottom 15th percentile. Those people are either URM's or are offering something to the table that the normal person doesn't.

OP, either retake or apply to low tier DO schools. You're very very unlikely to get into an MD school like this. Even if you decide to go ahead and apply MD with a 25 MCAT, there's a high chance you will just be wasting thousands of dollars just to shoot yourself in the foot for future reapplicant cycles.

I have a 3.97 cGPA and a 3.96 sGPA. I got a 31 (10VR 10PS 11BS) the second time I took the MCAT. Would I have a shot at places like Duke, UMich, Mayo, etc. ?