Low MCAT, High GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whynotMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
18 MCAT English is my Second language, 3.6 GPA , any chance in a DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done all your prereqs? Study waaaay harder for second attempt.

Members don't see this ad :)
18 MCAT English is my Second language, 3.6 GPA , any chance in a DO school?

Hate to be critical but not only is your MCAT too low but a 3.6 is by no means high.
Put yourself in the shoes of the adcom. The MCAT and GPA are the only quantitative methods to analyze whether you possess the cognitive ability to survive the medical school curriculum and ultimately practice medicine. Neither of your values give them the confidence to believe in your ability. That isn't to say you don't have it but no amount of persuasive writing or speech will convince someone to gamble the dice on you when they have an abundance of apps that are far less risky.

apply to the brand new Liberty University COM. maybe you'll get some love

sub 20 = non competitive, regardless of race

This score indicates a high risk for issues passing the boards...

Sorry OP. retake and crush it!

Sorry OP. retake and crush it!

English is my second language I took the MCAT 3 times and I never passed the verbal reasoning, it is so low every time I asked for so much help but I did not work, I just feel like the MCAT is such a waste of time, I got a 9 in biological sciences which say that I can do the sciences on time, so I don't see why to stop and retake the verbal when I know it is just such a waste of time for a second language speaker. I did not take high school in America, I only took college in the US.

No chance at DO, but try Podiatry.

With all the new schools that have opened I actually wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get into one, especially liberty. The bigger concern is how you would fare with the boards.

English is my second language I took the MCAT 3 times and I never passed the verbal reasoning, it is so low every time I asked for so much help but I did not work, I just feel like the MCAT is such a waste of time, I got a 9 in biological sciences which say that I can do the sciences on time, so I don't see why to stop and retake the verbal when I know it is just such a waste of time for a second language speaker. I did not take high school in America, I only took college in the US.

Take more practice tests, and do not waste your money for MCAT until you get reasonable practice test score. Read more, wall street journal everyday is very helpful.

9 in biological science is not enough, aiming for 11 in BIo and 9 in Phy. At least a 6 for Verb.

If English is your second language, Do not state it in your application, otherwise, you will be forced to take Toefl.

I think most schools expect higher MCAT and GPAs for non native English speaking students than traditional students.

What about PS? If you got a 9 on BS, assuming you got a low end of 2 on VS, that gives you a 7/2/9, which to begin with aren't great science scores. If you have no intention of retaking to bring up the VS score, than I'm sorry to say that you have no chance.

Look into other careers or spend a lot of time working on verbal and don't take the MCAT again until you are scoring 28-29 on practice tests. In all honesty though, with 3 attempts with the highest score of 18, you'd really have to hit a mid-20s score on the next retake to stand a chance.

With all the new schools that have opened I actually wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get into one, especially liberty. The bigger concern is how you would fare with the boards.

Very doubtful. Even new schools have standards. There'd be no value in letting someone with an MCAT multiple SDs away from the DO average, unless it inflated another stat (e.g. unless maybe OP had a 4.0, lots of money, and a connection or two... or three). There are plenty of applicants to those new schools with slightly below average stats.

Besides, new DO schools have been opening up just as fast in the last decade, and it hasn't affected DO entrance stats (actually they've gone up).