Medical Low MCAT - how do I move forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have previous listed my stats in a separate thread "Need some advises for my stats mcat501, gpa3.6, master gpa3.9"

I am in some desperate need for advises here. My original plan was to apply in next year 2020 and aim to start school in 2021. Now i am second guessing myself (should i apply to DO schools now???). Since the application from AAMC and AACOM don't "roll over" to the next application unless i submit them through. What are the things i should be doing right now to enhance my chances?
1) When should i ask for the letters of recommendations? They cannot be stored in AAMC or AACOM if i don't submit the application
2) Since i only have a letter of recommendation from a MD, do i need to locate a DO to shadow and get a DO letter for DO schools?
3) Any other things i can do in this time to enhance my chances?

Your advises will definitely be appreciated since i have no one to consult and get guidance from.

Thank You
With a 501 MCAT score, I can't recommend applying MD, unless you retake and score significantly higher.

For DO schools, unless a DO letter is specifically required having an MD letter will not hurt you. However having a DO letter will always help.

It's getting rather late for the DO cycle, so I suggest waiting until next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Simply put, you sound unprepared to consider applying to DO programs based on the questions in your original post. Networking is going to help you narrow down things that are important to you when it comes to choosing your school. I don't know whether the lack of a relationship with your prehealth advisor is a signal of something else you are not disclosing, though to me that can be a yellow flag (not that all prehealth advisors are infallible).

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Hey,
Thanks for the reply. I know my MCAT score is fairly low for MD programs, but i will throw in few applications just for the luck of it. My main focus will be on DO schools and don't plan to re-take the MCAT anymore...it consumes too much of my life to prepare for it... Do you think i need to have anything to prepare at this time until the next application cycle starts?

Thank You so much
For the luck of it? Luck has nothing to do with this process. It's a seller's market.

The schools don't need the donations. Take your SO out to dinner instead.

Find a DO to shadow and get LOR from same.

Status
Not open for further replies.