Low MCAT,Low GPA..Any Chances in DO colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FDR86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Great Gurus,
Any valuable advice on which DO Colleges would be worth applying as MCAT Score is 22,GPA 2.68

Members don't see this ad.

Great Gurus,
Any valuable advice on which DO Colleges would be worth applying as MCAT Score is 22,GPA 2.68

Save your money.

Not going to spend any more time posting on this until I'm certain you're serious.

Great Gurus,

None, sorry. Retake your MCAT and retake classes for grade replacement and try again next year :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
All of them. Just choose two or something and you'll probably be accepted to both.

Great Gurus,

Unfortunately, no one will accept you. Most schools will reject you outright because you don't meet the 3.0 minimum (c/sGPA).

Advice?
-Go back to school and retake the pre-req courses and do well in them. Grade replacement has done wonders for many people on this forum
-Retake the MCAT. Find out what you did wrong last time and fix it.

GL

Pretty sure the minimums I've seen are 2.7 (rare and recommended 3.0+) and I imagine that those who successfully apply with those sub-3's have a higher mcat and/or better app.

>1 Post
> Calls us Guru's
> Asks us ridiculous question

> Everyone somehow answers reasonable except for me....

6/10... Moderately decent job OP.

I would have to say there really isn't much of a chance for DO, but if you consider DPM, you'd have a good shot if you raised your gpa a bit.

for once I agree with serenade, this seems rather trolly to me.

>1 post
> calls us guru's
> asks us ridiculous question

> everyone somehow answers reasonable except for me....

6/10... Moderately decent job op.

+1.

A year+ lurk to troll shows some determination

Save your money.

Not going to spend any more time posting on this until I'm certain you're serious.
Thanks all of you for your valuable comments.
I am serious and would like your advice.
asks us ridiculous question...for genius who remarked this
Just as an FYI ---what happens when you are doctor and patient asks even stupid questions...Is this medical ethics?

what happens when you are doctor and patient asks even stupid questions...Is this medical ethics?

Burnett's law anyone?

Burnett_Lee.jpg

(if you don't know who this is, you are a certified noob)

Ok.

You're going to have to raise your GPA drastically, but you probably already knew that. The most efficient way of doing this is to retake those science courses that you got less than a B on. Get A's in everything from now on, at all costs. School is your number one, number two, and number three priorities from here on out.

I assume that some of these C's are pre-requisite classes. I highly recommend retaking these and not only getting A's, but mastering the material. Know what everything does and why. This way, when it comes time to retake the MCAT (which you'll have to do) you'll have a more solid foundation than you did in the past.

If you really want it, I think you can do it. People have made it in worse situations than you. Now's the time to perform. :thumbup:

Thanks all of you for your valuable comments.
asks us ridiculous question...for genius who remarked this
Just as an FYI ---what happens when you are doctor and patient asks even stupid questions...Is this medical ethics?

because theres a huge difference when someone you can actually see asks a question, that may seem a little dumb, but you can at least tell they're being genuine so you recognize that it's your responsibility to answer it and not make them feel stupid for asking it. But when some random poster who has one post, posts on an anoymous internet forum "what are my chances with 22,GPA 2.68" it becomes highly suspicious when you can do a quick check of schools and see that most don't even look at stats that low...Tbh, if you haven't done your research enough to know that most DO schools are around 3.4 27 mcat, then I question how much you really want to be a doctor in the first place...I know for me, I have lower end stats so i researched every school and tried to feel out what they were looking for. I didn't bother applying to schools I felt like I had zero shot at besides a few that I was like "hey you only live once".

So you may feel insulted at this point but none of this was meant to be an insult, just an explanation of how you may of came across. With that being said I suggest..you really research DO and find out what it's all about, make sure you really desire this, then start working on massive gpa repair and eventually retake the mcat. DO is not a "shortcut" to medical school, it's an amazing alternatie to MD that produces great doctors. Once you get in, you have to work just as hard as MDs.

I would recommend retaking your MCAT to aim for at least a 28. You can do grade replacement for the Osteopathic schools. It is important that your science GPA is at least a 3.0. You can do it! The application process in tremendously expensive, so save up for it when you know you won't be automatically screened based on your scores. Remember that medical schools invest a lot of time and money into you and want proof that you can handle the course-load.

So days I think harder, especially if you take both the COMLEX and USMLE. A lot of stress and good time management.