Quantcast

Low mcat & low science gpa

Free Sample Essays
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBourne

Reaction score
I need some advice and who better to ask than the amazing people on SDN. I'm planning on applying to both MD & DO schools. I had to work as an undergrad and my grades aren't that great because of it. I got a 20 O on the mcat (Verbal 9, Phy 5, Bio 6). According to the AACOMAS application, this is how my numbers break down:

science gpa: 3.19
non-science gpa: 3.77
cumulative gpa: 3.55

I volunteer at a children's hospital (probably around 210 hours of direct patient contact), & shadowed a DO internist who provided an LOR for me.

Basically, has anyone here heard of DO schools that'll accpet an applicant with these scores? Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks!

Stumpyman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your MCAT is way too low for either DO or MD. I highly suggest a retake, aiming for at least 26+ for DO schools. You also might want to look into grade replacement for DO schools (3.17 gpa is also a bit too low).

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, with that MCAT score, you will NOT get an interview. I'd automatically reject you for the Bio6. So, take another year, and do better on the MCAT!

I need some advice and who better to ask than the amazing people on SDN. I'm planning on applying to both MD & DO schools. I had to work as an undergrad and my grades aren't that great because of it. I got a 20 O on the mcat (Verbal 9, Phy 5, Bio 6). According to the AACOMAS application, this is how my numbers break down:

science gpa: 3.19
non-science gpa: 3.77
cumulative gpa: 3.55

I volunteer at a children's hospital (probably around 210 hours of direct patient contact), & shadowed a DO internist who provided an LOR for me.

Basically, has anyone here heard of DO schools that'll accpet an applicant with these scores? Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks!