low MCAT score advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerlily

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give info regarding DO school acceptances with a low verbal MCAT score? I got a 6 on the verbal section, but 9 on bio and phy and Q on writing. My undergrad GPA is 3.6 and science is 3.2+ I took 2 grad science courses and got B+ and A. I'm worried my verbal score will hold me back greatly, although I didn't take it again b/c I don't think I can improve. I took the Kaplan prep course before the MCATs and even practiced the verbal section, but I'm just a slow reader and not very good at that stuff, and even my SAT verbal scores were low. Also, I'm 1.5 years out of Penn State, any suggestions? Where will I get in? Where should I apply? I'm PA resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into LECOM, PCOM, and WVSOM with a 25 and a 3.7 as a PA resident.

i think you will have no problems with that mcat score. relax go shadow a D.O. and get a letter of recomendation. Then apply to lake erie, NYCOM, and PCOM and i bet you get a interview

I have a friend at Western University (COMP). He got in on a 6 verbal and 9's respectively on Biological and physical sciences along with a Q on the writing sample. His gpa was 3.67 AND he was a nonscience major. He just completed his second year and is a solid "B" student with one "C" and a few "A's". The truth of the matter is that admissions committees realize that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. They will look at the total applicant and not one number. In other words, a "6" on verbal reasoning is not exclusive for medical school nor does it demonstrate your ability to become a great physician.