Low mcat score but good gpa

• Thread starter Deleted member 237747
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 237747

Do schools take best of each section to consider mcat when there are multiple retakes.

How does a mcat of 24 with gpa 3.65 look for DO school admission look? I had two attempts but they were all hovering around 24 mcat. Do not think it will Change much as I am a poor test taker. How else can I improve my application?I am looking at dental schools but I think dental schools are not easy to get in either.

Members don't see this ad.

3.65/24 is enough to get in. I remember somebody last year with 3.78/24 got accepted to DMU, KCOM, and KCUMB outright, in fact.

Do schools take best of each section to consider mcat when there are multiple retakes.

How does a mcat of 24 with gpa 3.65 look for DO school admission look? I had two attempts but they were all hovering around 24 mcat. Do not think it will Change much as I am a poor test taker. How else can I improve my application?I am looking at dental schools but I think dental schools are not easy to get in either.

You are fine for a bunch of DO schools. Apply to ACOM, LUCOM, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, WCUCOM. WVUSOM, KYCOM, SOMA, CUSOM, PCOM-GA, LECOM-SH...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools are needing DO letter. Any schools that don't need one and I have chance with my stats? Can't find a DO who will allow shadowing in my area.

Look on the AOA website, you should be able to find a DO there.

Your score won't excuse you from consideration at any school (or at least none that I'm aware of) but there's no such thing as a "safe" GPA/MCAT combo that confers a magical increase in chances of being accepted.

The more and more people in admissions I speak with, the more and more I realize that once an interview invite is extended, a school generally holds all applicants more or less equal until after the interview. Grades come back into play more when they're deciding between two interviewees they are interested in.

In otherwords; apply where you want and hope the rest of your app makes the school interested enough to interview you. Your scores have very little chance of causing you to be rejected in and of themselves.

Schools look at the MCAT score differently. Some look at the highest composite, some compile a new score with the highest score in each section, some use an average, etc.

The fact that you're looking into other professional schools makes me think you're not solely dedicated to this medical school thing. Medicine is a long hard road with lots of expensive tolls. I suggest you study for the MCAT some more and do a retake, and in the mean time you should do some soul searching about whether medicine is what you want to commit to as well.

Best of luck.

Strongly concur. You should also consider delaying your application process until you fox that test taking deficit. We're addicted to standardized exams in medical school, and Boards are the same way.

Schools look at the MCAT score differently. Some look at the highest composite, some compile a new score with the highest score in each section, some use an average, etc.

The fact that you're looking into other professional schools makes me think you're not solely dedicated to this medical school thing. Medicine is a long hard road with lots of expensive tolls. I suggest you study for the MCAT some more and do a retake, and in the mean time you should do some soul searching about whether medicine is what you want to commit to as well.

Best of luck.