Low MCAT score nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spra8560

Reaction score
Hello SDN, has anyone been able to get in with a score of 489? I’m a nontrad retired Navy pilot with a desire for a career change. Please advise. Specifically, I’m trying to get into UT Southwestern or UNT TCOM. I have a BSEE and a MBA. Just concerned it may be too low to apply this year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN, has anyone been able to get in with a score of 489? I’m a nontrad retired Navy pilot with a desire for a career change. Please advise. Specifically, I’m trying to get into UT Southwestern or UNT TCOM. I have a BSEE and a MBA. Just concerned it may be too low to apply this year. Thanks.
This is ~19 and puts you at serious risk for failing out of medical school. Save your money and retake only when you are ready and consistently scoring at least 505+ on practice exams. I have no experience with how military vets are viewed, but for your own personal mental and emotional health, do not go to medical school with that score.

Many thanks for your service to our country, but no med schools would be doing you any favors by admitting you with such a low MCAT score.

The median MCAT score for MD acceptees is 511

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into TCOM with a 506 and a heavy military background, but I'm sure Southwestern laughed at my score. I recommend bringing that score up and applying next year.

There's also TCU/UNT medical school near TCOM if you're trying to stay in the Dallas area.

Last edited:
With a 489, do not retake this year or apply this year. There are serious issues that need to be addressed in order to bring that score up to TX's median matriculation score of 509. Getting into UTSW, or any TX school for that matter, with that score would be a statistical anomaly, if I'm being honest.

That score is well below any MD or DO school's average. It is probably too low for Podiatry school as well. Save yourself the money and disappointment and do not apply this year. What did you do to prep for your MCAT? If you just didn't prep, that shows poor judgment, but means there's plenty of room for improvement with a few months of dedicated studying. If that score is your best effort after dedicated prep time, then the news is less good. It might be time to consider a different career.

489 is far too low even with your distinguished background. You definitely nerd a retake and an improvement of 15+ points IMO

Thank you everyone for the honest opinions. I plan on taking more MCAT prep and coursework. Thanks again for helping a fellow pre-Med

If your family has money to donate to a medical school (think millions)...probably

Toast for MD. Maybe some of the lower tiered DO would consider if you retake and comfortably clear 500.

Flying is a better career path ways - same money, less bs, no ridiculous 7 year training requirement, no social justice fascists.
Lol what a big f&@k you to DO schools. You really think a DO school would take a sub 490?

Lol what a big f&@k you to DO schools. You really think a DO school would take a sub 490?

Why is the going number around here 505+?

Isn’t there 2017 data on this? Last year there were 294 matriculants with sub 494. Look on AACOMAS. Obviously, not a lot but it did happen. This doesn’t mean you should take the chance.

I bet there were a few sub 500 scores for MD as well. It happens. However, I wouldn’t bet on being an outlier. Improve first.

Last edited:
Why is the going number around here 505+? I mea

Isn’t there 2017 data on this? Last year there were 294 matriculants with sub 494. Look on AACOMAS. Obviously not a lot but it did happen. This doesn’t mean you should take the chance.

I bet there were a few sub 500 scores for MD as well. It happens. However, I wouldn’t bet on being an outlier. Improve first.
A 494 is different from a sub 490. Also, bear in mind, DO admit holistically. Those 494 MCATers probably had great volunteer hours, impressive clinical experience (think nurse, PA etc.), or have been out of school for a while, etc. No school is going to take a 495 just for the heck of it. They need to know that you’re going to pass your modules and not mess with their attrition rates

Reactions: 1 user
I thought Idaho is pretty strict with cutoffs, no?

I didn't read the replies here. I just skimmed it. You may want to look into an MCAT prep course. This is if you did not go through one. I assumed that you didn't.