Low MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my MCAT score back and scored a 20; 3V, 8P, 9B. I would have been okay with my score had I got an 8 or 9 in the verbal like I was getting with my practice exams. My writing score was horrible, but I was not suprised by the results (I freaked out during the exam and had trouble concentrating). I have considered DO school for a very long time, but I want to try and stay in my state of residency (and there are no DO schools here). At this point, I am unwilling to give up on becoming a physician; I'd be happy as an MD or DO. I did not prepare very well for the exam, in fact I barely studied a full week; I know that I can score much higher if I try. I currently have a 3.53 gpa (3.4 sci), with a strong upward trend, I anticipate at least a 3.65 gpa before graduation. Now my biggest problem is trying to figure out if I should take a year off to work on my health experience (volunteer and shadow) or get an MS in case my gpa is too low? I am also currently doing a summer REU and I only have 20 hrs of shadowing.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got my MCAT score back and scored a 20; 3V, 8P, 9B. I would have been okay with my score had I got an 8 or 9 in the verbal like I was getting with my practice exams. My writing score was horrible, but I was not suprised by the results (I freaked out during the exam and had trouble concentrating). I have considered DO school for a very long time, but I want to try and stay in my state of residency (and there are no DO schools here). At this point, I am unwilling to give up on becoming a physician; I'd be happy as an MD or DO. I did not prepare very well for the exam, in fact I barely studied a full week; I know that I can score much higher if I try. I currently have a 3.53 gpa (3.4 sci), with a strong upward trend, I anticipate at least a 3.65 gpa before graduation. Now my biggest problem is trying to figure out if I should take a year off to work on my health experience (volunteer and shadow) or get an MS in case my gpa is too low? I am also currently doing a summer REU and I only have 20 hrs of shadowing.

you would need to study a lot more for the MCAT, with such little time left I don't know how much improvement you can expect. However, if your really dedicated in getting into this profession than by all means, study for another year (hardcore) and take your next test when you are fully prepared. 10+ practice tests 30+ average before you even attempt the real deal.

you would need to study a lot more for the MCAT, with such little time left I don't know how much improvement you can expect. However, if your really dedicated in getting into this profession than by all means, study for another year (hardcore) and take your next test when you are fully prepared. 10+ practice tests 30+ average before you even attempt the real deal.

Yes, this is true. Assuming I do not want to go to another state for medical school. Otherwise, I would need to increase my score at least 7+ points to be competitive for a DO school and 10+ points for MD schools. My biggest concern is whether I can pull that off this year and if I can; will my gpa be too low.

Members don't see this ad :)
"...like I was getting with my practice exams."
"...I did not prepare very well for the exam, in fact I barely studied a full week;"

How many practice exams did you take in your barely-full week of studying?
Even if you score much better, which is statistically unlikely, you will still have to compel an AdCom that ignore this test score. I wish you the best of luck with that.

Considering you could probably get at least a 5 on verbal without ever reading the passages, I'm surprised you pulled off a 3. Honestly, I don't see how you go from a 9 on practice to a 3 on the real thing. Maybe to like a 7, but a 3? Sounds a bit unrealistic...

But if you are telling the truth, just study. A lot more than you did. It will be fine if you have the potential. Like you said you know you can score much higher; so do it.

You could easily convince people that this was a fluke, had a nervous breakdown mid test or something like that, especially if you raise your score by quite a bit.

A 3.65 at graduation will only be slightly below avg. mat. so I wouldn't worry about that as much as the 20 on MCAT and ECs. Take a year off, work on ECs while studying for MCAT re-take, get a good score, get some experience, and I think getting into med school would be a possibility.

Based upon what you've said, the low verbal sounds like a fluke. If you're determined to go the allopathic route, it would behoove of you to take the test seriously next time. For some idea of what I mean, peruse this helpful thread on MCAT prep:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=46880&page=15

In terms of where to go from here, I think it's realistic to plan on taking a year off, study like you've never studied before, and get some health-related experience in the meantime. You're gpa is solid, wouldn't worry about that so much, just gain some confidence w/ the verbal section. Like you said, even a moderate increase would make you a competitive DO applicant, so if you want to be a doctor make it happen.

Considering you could probably get at least a 5 on verbal without ever reading the passages, I'm surprised you pulled off a 3. Honestly, I don't see how you go from a 9 on practice to a 3 on the real thing. Maybe to like a 7, but a 3? Sounds a bit unrealistic...

But if you are telling the truth, just study. A lot more than you did. It will be fine if you have the potential. Like you said you know you can score much higher; so do it.

You could easily convince people that this was a fluke, had a nervous breakdown mid test or something like that, especially if you raise your score by quite a bit.

A 3.65 at graduation will only be slightly below avg. mat. so I wouldn't worry about that as much as the 20 on MCAT and ECs. Take a year off, work on ECs while studying for MCAT re-take, get a good score, get some experience, and I think getting into med school would be a possibility.

I know its hard to believe, but the verbal was a fluke. I was getting 9's and 8's on all three sections when I practiced. I was aiming for at least a total of 25; this would have been decent for DO schools. My biological and physical sciences were exactly what I had anticipated, I can easily improve them with more time to prepare and practice. Unfortunately, the verbal is my weak spot. It was foolish of me to think I can take 4 practice exams and expect to be do well. After the first passage, I looked at the time and freaked out. I couldn't recover, but somehow managed to do well on the bio.

Thanks Jude33, this sounds like the best advice I could take at this point. You make some very valid points and I can't help but agree with you. My only concern is, how would I go about explaining such a low verbal score?

I don't think you need to explain anything. The score speaks for itself. Just show a drastic improvement next time around and I guarantee it won't be an issue. Now start hitting the books!

Maybe they forgot to put a 1 in front of the 3. :hungover:unno:

If I were you and have not taken a mcat class yet I would, if you have the money to do so. Put more time into the mcat and concentrate on verbal I guess. Your gpa is pretty good though.

Good luck.