Low MCAT? What else is important to the Adcoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what posters feel are the most important factors that osteopathic adcoms look at if the applicant does not have stellar MCAT's/grades?

I'm a podiatrist with a lot of clinical experience and medically related courses, but I'm not sure if that's one of the more important non-score factors that they're looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

Toejam,

What the adcoms want is someone who is well-rounded, intelligent, with useful EC's that show that the individual has thought out their career in osteopathy and knows what it entails (which is why it's always good to shadow and/or talk to a DO). If you have good EC's and a decent GPA, a lower MCAT score can be overlooked, but only if the GPA proves that you can do the work. How are your grades in podiatry school? If they are good, then that also should show that you are capable of doing the work.

In sum, it depends on your overall package, not just your MCAT score. There are many posts and debates on this board, some people get in with a 20 MCAT or lower and some don't get in with a high MCAT and no EC's. If you are worried and aren't sure how competitive you are, call some of the schools that you are interested in to see what they think. If you have already applied, I would suggest applying to a good number of schools (10-15) to increase your chances, and if you are really worried, I would take a review course (I took Kaplan and it raised my score 8 points) and retake the MCAT in August (you can still apply this year, just let AACOMAS know that you are retaking).

Best of luck to you and you can PM me if you want a more personal opinion (but that's all it will be). If you believe in yourself and want to be a DO then don't give up because you CAN do it! :)