Low MCAT. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Science_bro89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I'm a 26 years old African American male
Undergraduate GPA: 3.45 science GPA: 3.45
Masters GPA: 4.0 molecular bio
Over an year of research experience in obesity and metabolic pathways.
Study Abroad trip to Taiwan last summer to study biomedicine at China Medical University.
Shadowing hours: 20
Clinical: 200
Tribeta biology honor society and outside clinical volunteering.
Minority premed club.
Taught intro to bio lab for over an year as an TA.
Worked in various environmental labs.
Currently working full time in a biotechnology clinical lab making tissue grafts for various hospitals for wound care.
Applying to:
Morehouse
MeHarry
Howard
Temple
Georgetown
Mercer
Medical College of GA
Emory
University of TN
University of Al
John Hopkins
Mayo
UCLA
Tulane
Wayne State

Got my scores back and did poorly (490). Not sure where I should go at this point and my application has already been verified. Received secondaries. Should I even bother doing them?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fix your test taking deficits and then retake MCAT. If you have test taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed.
Agreed. It's mostly test anxiety. Never been good at controlling it.

We're addicted to standardized testing in med school, so it needs to be addressed.
Thanks! I know the materials and did well in my required courses, just not a good standardized test taker. I was scoring around and over 500 on my practice test, but my emotions got the best of me on test day. Should I talk about improving my anxiety and standardized test taking skills on my secondaries?

I had some test anxiety issues so I saw our school's shrink. Short term I got a beta blocker (finals that year ONLY) but long term we worked together to overcome negative thoughts.. And now I'm confident during any exam I take. Swallow the ego and get help, you won't regret it.

Reactions: 1 user
Received secondaries. Should I even bother doing them?
I wouldn't bother completing any secondaries except maybe the HBCUs w/ a 490 MCAT (looking to be about a 20 on the old one....), even as a URM.

You're still well below the curve even at HBCUs so to save money not submitting any and hitting up a retake is reasonable as well.

Thanks! I know the materials and did well in my required courses, just not a good standardized test taker. I was scoring around and over 500 on my practice test, but my emotions got the best of me on test day. Should I talk about improving my anxiety and standardized test taking skills on my secondaries?

I would not. Also if you were only getting a 500 or so on practice tests( particularly the aamc one) the issue isn't just test anxiety it is in content and not understanding the material as well as you needed to

Give the HBCUs a shot but realize you will need a far better showing on standardized tests in the future be it on a mcat retake if necessary or on board exams. Good luck