Low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a white male get in w/ a 21 MCAT? Does anyone know of classmates w/ an MCAT that low that got in. I have great letters, volunteer exp., I T.A.'d Anatomy, and I'm an EMT. I haven't done anything to prepare for the April MCAT and don't want to retake it w/o spending more time getting ready for it.
Thanks,
D

Members don't see this ad.

I am a white male and I got accepted to every school I applied to which happened to only be 2. I was accepted at WVSOM with a 21 as an out-of-state applicant! The 21 was from the April MCAT, I scored a little bit higher on the August MCAT and got into Pikeville. However, I am from Eastern Kentucky and I am definitely going to practice in primary care in a rural underserved area. This helped alot. I also was really interested in Osteopathic medicine. My FP doc was a DO. This was the only kind of medicine I was ever exposed to until college. I don't know if this applies to you but I hope it helps. Also, a friend of mine got accepted today at the University of Louisville with a 21. He is a white male and doesn't want to go into primary care or practice in a rural underserved area. He is also considered out-of-state. Go figure!

Sometimes a really high gpa seems to counteract a low MCAT. A 21 is low -- but as the previous poster said, sometimes it may not be too low to get in. D.O. schools often look at other candidate characteristics, not just the numbers (so do some MD schools of course). Have you tried to get in with the numbers and experience you have? You'll never know for sure until you apply. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a few schools this year but my secondaries were not sent in until late November. I've been really busy this year trying to finish up my BS and havn't been able to study for the MCAT again. I don't think I can significantly improve my scores so I probably won't take it again until I feel confident in my ability to improve it. I know my chances are much higher w/ my given credentials if I apply June 1 and send in my secondary apps right away.

I applied to a few schools this year but my secondaries were not sent in until late November. I've been really busy this year trying to finish up my BS and havn't been able to study for the MCAT again. I don't think I can significantly improve my scores so I probably won't take it again until I feel confident in my ability to improve it. I know my chances are much higher w/ my given credentials if I apply June 1 and send in my secondary apps right away.

Its not impossible, but its not exactly easy either. Don't let anyone discourage you from applying just because of that MCAT score, but realize that your chances will be minimal at many programs. There is still plenty of time to study for retaking the test in August. I think that it does make a small difference to admissions directors when they see that an applicant has at least tried to raise their score by retaking the exam. I took the damn test three times not including countless practice sessions. If your GPA is high, you CAN get in with a low score, but every additional point that you add to that score makes your chances exponentially better IMHO.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by hankhill (edited 03-04-2001).]

Dave,
Only time will tell and I hope that you do get in but from what I have seen the MCAT has been very important in whether a person has been accepted or not. At my school the lowest MCAT that has been accepted is a 26. This has disqualified some excellent applicants that had stellar applications besides the MCAT score. From what I have seen there has been more flexibility in terms of GPA and experience than in MCAT score. Of course this MCAT score cut-off is relative to alot of different factors and seems pretty arbitrary. If you don't get in though retake it and tear it's head off.