Medical Low MCATS. Do I still have a chance at being a doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My stats are
3.43 cGPA
3.44 sGPA
Graduated this May with a B.S. in Biology.

I am shadowing a D.O. interventional cardiologist with about 500 hours so far.

I have done research in hematology and Oncology

I volunteer and am a board member for a non profit organization looking to find a cure for a genetic disorder affecting the small intestine.
Medical assistant at Derm. practice for 5 years

Today I received my second MCAT score attempt and unfortunately it was not what I had expected or wanted. Moving forward I’m now looking at my options and need some advice, I would really appreciate any input on this. My first attempt I received a 488 on 9/1/18 and now a 491 on 9/13/19. My goal has always been to be a physician and my top choice has been in my hometown, NYIT-COM. I’m honestly lost, I feel helpless and have been feeling disheartened since I opened my score. I had my application ready to go, but now should I just apply to LECOM their new Elmira campus and the new CHSU-COM?

I have been looking into some post-bac programs for D.O. schools but if there are any you can recommend me please let me know. Perhaps those with linkages. I feel as though this well help me prepare better for medical school.

I appreciate anyone’s help and input.

Please explain your choice of schools highlighted above.

Your sub-500 MCAT (2 attempts) is probably going to be more of an issue than your GPA since it's right on the 3.5 cusp. You might need to talk to some admissions folks and your prehealth advisor about any undergraduate-course postbac opt with additional higher-level biology/biomedical science classes to get your GPA above 3.5. What have your already taken, and what grades did you earn?

Members don't see this ad.

A secondary issue, still regarding the MCAT, is not only that both are sub 500, but that they are just over 1 year apart, and there was only a 3 point increase in addition to still being sub 500, and not on the cusp either.

What did you do differently in studying for your 2nd MCAT?

Do you have any intention on taking the MCAT a 3rd time?

I agree with @Mr.Smile12 with talking to your advisor and prehealth faculty.

Thank you both @MusicDOc124 and @Mr.Smile12 for your responses.

I have contacted my pre-health advisor and will be meeting with her next week, Monday in regards to some post bac options Or masters which can help with my GPA. And perhaps some that have linkages with D.O. schools. As far as the mcat I completely changed my study plan towards it the second time as well as doing well on practice exams using EK, next step, AAMC FL and U-world. I felt much more confident this time around but during practice was averaging 127 in cars and 129 in P/S. My FL average was 511. On the actual exam I was much lower on cars and P/S and was not scoring that on my first attempt. I’m not sure if it is just me during the actual exam where I feel nervous. I felt less anxious this time after my exam.

As of now I’m not sure if I would take the MCAT a third attempt as I’m not sure if it would look worse taking it 3 times. What is your advice, should I take it again and sign up for a private tutor? Or should I do a post bac Or masters with a linkage such as Touro or PCOM? For PCOM I would study for the MCAT exam between the first and second year summer of the masters. For Touro I would have to maintain a 3.45 in the masters and pass the final comprehensive exam to get into their D.O. program, not just an interview but would actually matriculate into it. I spoke to their admissions this morning. For pcom I would need to maintain 3.6 and get at least a 500 Or higher to be guaranteed an interview.

If you happen to know any other masters linkage or post-bac programs please let me know. I am also doing research on them to bring to my advisor on Monday.
Your MCAT is still too low. I would take my time and not rush to take the exam again. Many schools average all attempts, but some take a superstore or a best attempt. You need to find out from the schools where you intend to apply ahead of time. (For what it's worth, most schools I know that average all attempts are MD programs and it's not that many.)

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.