Low MCATs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by supertherapiss, Jun 24, 2001.

1. supertherapiss

supertherapiss Junior Member

Has it been known to be accepted to a med school with low MCAT scores but a very strong GPA and background? I'm still debating on whether to take the MCAT a third time or just take my chances at applying this year. any suggestions? honesty doesn't hurt.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I have a theoretical and a realistic answer for you.

Realistic - I would retake the MCAT, assuming your idea of low doesn't mean 28-30. If you do apply, you are much more likely to get accepted at your state schools.

Theoretical - I had a friend who got accepted to one of my state schools last year who had a 24. I was surprised, but I wasn't as informed as I am now. It does happen at state schools, but I don't know how often. I think a 27 is about average at my state schools as well.

Whatever you do, good luck. :)

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Taking the MCAT's the third time.... don't you have to write up a special request or something to have the privelege of taking the test again?!

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure you only have to do that if you want, or have to take it a fourth time. :)

6. supertherapiss

supertherapiss Junior Member

is it truly that bad to want to take it a third time? does it hurt me more? i've been out of school for almost 5 years and i work full time as well so it's kinda difficult. i'm struggling here. i just want schools to look at my file and give me a chance.

7. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Be prepared to explain the multiple takes on the MCATs.... it's something you'll end up facing in your secondaries and if you're lucky during your interviews....