Low MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertherapiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has it been known to be accepted to a med school with low MCAT scores but a very strong GPA and background? I'm still debating on whether to take the MCAT a third time or just take my chances at applying this year. any suggestions? honesty doesn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I have a theoretical and a realistic answer for you.

Realistic - I would retake the MCAT, assuming your idea of low doesn't mean 28-30. If you do apply, you are much more likely to get accepted at your state schools.

Theoretical - I had a friend who got accepted to one of my state schools last year who had a 24. I was surprised, but I wasn't as informed as I am now. It does happen at state schools, but I don't know how often. I think a 27 is about average at my state schools as well.

Whatever you do, good luck. :)

Taking the MCAT's the third time.... don't you have to write up a special request or something to have the privelege of taking the test again?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Popoy:
•Taking the MCAT's the third time.... don't you have to write up a special request or something to have the privelege of taking the test again?!•

I'm pretty sure you only have to do that if you want, or have to take it a fourth time. :)

is it truly that bad to want to take it a third time? does it hurt me more? i've been out of school for almost 5 years and i work full time as well so it's kinda difficult. i'm struggling here. i just want schools to look at my file and give me a chance.

Be prepared to explain the multiple takes on the MCATs.... it's something you'll end up facing in your secondaries and if you're lucky during your interviews....