Low Overall GPA (2.6); High Science GPA (3.5). More Undergrad or A Masters Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

More Undergrad or One-Year Masters Program?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeedler27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally, I would stay and do more undergrad, even though its not going to make alot of difference in the overall (I mean 2.6 will probably max out at 2.8) but the science will go up high. If you can get a 3.7+ science GPA and demonstrate your science knowledge with a good TS score on DAT (20+), along with applying to 20+ schools, you stand a chance of getting in.

Is that sub-3.0 even going to make it past the initial GPA screening? I would try to schedule an appt with a DS admissions officer (I know some schools will do this) to discuss your situation.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but if you haven't yet earned a 3.7+ while taking science classes, I wouldn't bank on it for the next 4 semesters. If you're earning a 3.0, you need to change things SIGNIFICANTLY before you can comfortably say you think you'll be earning 3.7+'s. Grade-wise you need to be earning as close to 4.0 as possible with a course load that is intelligently laid out so that you're not taking fluff classes but also able to achieve that 4.0. And that means buckling down to study, getting tutoring for classes you're having difficulty with, etc etc.

Last edited: