low overall gpa high sci. gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prov0356

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Ok so I will be graduating with a 3.45 overall gpa and a 3.85 science gpa. How will this look for medical school? I have a strong upward trend as well. I have shadowing experience, volunteered for over 150 hours, and is active on campus with 3 organizations. I have not taken the MCAT test yet. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Ok so I will be graduating with a 3.45 overall gpa and a 3.85 science gpa. How will this look for medical school? I have a strong upward trend as well. I have shadowing experience, volunteered for over 150 hours, and is active on campus with 3 organizations. I have not taken the MCAT test yet. Thank you for your help!
They will wonder why there is such a disparity and will look more closely at your transcript for an explanation.

What will they find?

They will wonder why there is such a disparity and will look more closely at your transcript for an explanation.

What will they find?
My freshman and sophomore year I took mainly core classes and had taken science classes my Junior and Senior year. My grades in my freshman and sophomore year in my core classes were low due to personal issues. I made A's my Junior and Senior year in my science courses except for 1 C and 2 B's.

Members don't see this ad :)
The upward trend will be appreciated (hopefully the science C grade was awhile back) and the high BCPM will give you bonus points. How much the lower cGPA will affect you will depend, of course, on the strength of the MCAT score, but may be diminished beyond your expectations at schools that weight freshman year grades less or give greater weight to more recent years. Unfortunately, schools rarely advertise the formula they use, but sometimes they'll tell you if you call and ask. Wayne is a good example of one that is known, and they reportedly give a very high weight to the last 20 or 30 credit hours.

In what science class did you earn that C?

It was my sophomore year. I had taken Biological Diversity. That was the only science course I had taken prior to my Junior and Senior year.

I was researching the same question because I'm in the same boat. Not really any answers out there, I think this is a pretty unique situation.

I have a 3.3 cGPA, 3.0 AO GPA, and 3.8+ sGPA with a 35+ MCAT score. I am applying this cycle, and am doing alright so far getting interviews, though obviously no acceptances yet and I haven't heard back from most places one way or another...

You can view my MDApps later on in the cycle to see what's become of me.

To anyone in this boat thinking about applying, I would do it. Ace your MCAT, figure out your "awesome factor", apply early, apply broadly, and pray.

I'm curious to hear other people's experiences who go through the process with high sGPA, low cGPA.

I'm applying this cycle and I have similar stats. Check out my MD apps if you want. I interviewed on one of the first days at UCSD, it was pretty shocking to get that. Just do well on your MCAT 30+, have good ECs, and you'll be fine.